Soft Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies, a bake sale favorite that melts in your mouth!
Warm weather is officially here and I am officially celebrating. Take that, winter!
Cookies seem like the appropriate treat to usher in a season of sunshine, flowers, and picnics. Especially if the cookies are as light and airy as summer makes us feel.
Today’s Soft Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies are my new favorite cookie….
I know, I know. I’ve said that before.
However, these pillowy little drops of sunshine are so tender and vibrant, you can’t help but love them!
Our Soft Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies are packed with lemon zest and poppy seeds for tangy flavor that instantly makes you feel light-hearted.
These drop-style cookies take very little effort to prepare, and retain their tender texture for days. They are a marvelous make-ahead for parties and weekend treats!
Just be sure not to over-bake the Soft Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies. The centers may look a little under baked, yet the moment the edges are set and just barely showing color, take them out of the oven.
You’ll end up with heavenly Soft Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies that will make everyone feel like celebrating!
Looking For More Pillowy Cookie Recipes?
Soft Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
- 2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, plus extra for garnish
- 3-6 drop yellow food coloring, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 3+ minutes. Scrape the bowl and beat in the egg, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, poppy seeds, and yellow food coloring. Turn the mixer on low and slowly add in the flour mixture. Scrape the bowl, then mix until well combined.
- Scoop the cookie dough onto the baking sheets in 1 1/2 tablespoon portions, 2 inches apart. Sprinkle the tops with extra poppy seeds. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are just barely golden. Then cool on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes before moving.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.