Soft Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
Soft Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies – an absolute favorite bake sale cookie for spring! Melt in your mouth cookies with a pop of fresh lemon essence.
Warm weather is officially here and I am officially celebrating. Take that, winter!
Cookies seem like an appropriate treat to usher in a season of sunshine, flowers, and picnics. Especially if the cookies are as light and airy as summer makes us feel.
Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
Today’s Soft Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies are my new favorite cookie…
I know, I know. I’ve said that before.
However, these pillowy little drops of sunshine are so tender and vibrant, you can’t help but love them!
Lemon Poppy Seed
Our Soft Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies are packed with lemon zest and poppy seeds for a tangy flavor that instantly makes you feel light-hearted.
Plus those Poppy Seeds give these cookies a wonderful pop of color!
Easy Lemon Cookies
These drop-style cookies take very little effort to prepare and retain their tender texture for days. They are a marvelous make-ahead for parties and weekend treats!
Just be sure not to over-bake the cookies.
The centers may look a little underbaked, yet the moment the edges are set and just barely showing color, take them out of the oven.
Poppy Seed Cookies
You’ll end up with heavenly Soft Lemony Poppy Seed Cookies that will make everyone feel like celebrating!
Perfect for summer or spring days when all you need is a fresh, sweet treat to brighten your day.
How To Make The Best Soft Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
- Mix – The most important thing to remember to make soft pillowy cookies, is that you need to cream the butter and sugar together. That means you need to beat them together on high speed until the sugar crystals start to break down and the butter is extra fluffy. Do this before mixing in any other ingredients.
- Scoop – Measure the cookies out in equal portions. That way they bake evenly.
- Bake! – Don’t over-bake the cookies. Take the cookies out of the oven, when the edges are just barely golden brown, but the centers still look slightly under-baked. The centers will finish baking on the cookie sheets as the cookies cool.
See The Recipe Card Below For How To Make Soft Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies.
Looking For More Pillowy Cookie Recipes?
- Elvis “Burning Love” Cookies
- Brown Butter Brown Sugar Cookies
- Freedom Cookies (Low Carb!)
- Fruity Pillow Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Best Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pillow Cookies
- Almond Pillow Cookies from The Noshery
- Almond Pillow Cookies from Brown Eyed Baker
Soft Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, plus extra for garnish
- 3-6 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 3+ minutes. Scrape the bowl and beat in the egg, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, poppy seeds, and yellow food coloring. Turn the mixer on low and slowly add in the flour mixture. Scrape the bowl, then mix until well combined.
- Scoop the cookie dough onto the baking sheets in 1 1/2-tablespoon portions, two inches apart. Sprinkle the tops with extra poppy seeds. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are just barely golden. Then cool on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes before moving.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!