Soft Molasses Cookies – A tender gingersnap cookie recipe, perfect for holiday cookie platters!
Let’s Talk Cookies
Aside from all the other reasons to be happy this season, cookie munching has to be at the top of the list.
I try to save up most of my annual cookie consumption for this exact time of year, so I don’t have to feel guilty baking and nibbling to my heart’s content.
Shortbread cookies are my personal favorite, yet this Soft Molasses Cookie Recipe is a close second.
What do Molasses Cookies Taste Like?
Glistening with sugar, these dark and dusky cookies have the full-bodied flavor of molasses mingled with cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
They are tender, pillowy, and absolutely irresistible!
How to Make The Best Molasses Cookie Recipe
- Preheat the oven and line several baking sheets with parchment paper. Then measure out the sugar.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, clove and salt together. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, cream the butter and larger amount of sugar together on high until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl with a spatula, then beat in the molasses and egg. Turn the mixer on low and slowly add in the dry mixture. Scrape the bowl and beat until smooth.
- Roll the dough into balls. Roll each ball in sugar before baking (so they sparkle) and place on baking sheets 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes or until just-set so the interiors remain ultra soft.
- Cool completely on the baking sheets before trying to move the cookies.
Then sink your teeth into spiced heavenly bliss!
See the Recipe Card Below for Measurements and a Detailed Step-By-Step Guide to Making Molasses Cookies!
Are Molasses Cookies the Same as Gingersnaps?
These two types of molasses based cookies are actually different! The main difference is found in the texture of the cookies.
Molasses Cookies are soft and chewy. Gingersnaps are more crisp and offer a *snap* when broken apart. But both are delicious!
Soft Molasses Cookies are the perfect holiday cookie for dunking in milk.
Plus they taste fabulous sandwiched together with chocolate or vanilla frosting. Perfect for Santa’s late night visit on Christmas Eve.
Other Cookie Recipes You Might Like:
Soft Molasses Cookies
Soft Molasses Cookies Recipe - A tender gingersnap cookie recipe, perfect for holiday cookie platters! A cookie exchange offering everyone will love!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Measure out 1 cup of sugar. Separate 3 tablespoons out of the cup and place in a smaller bowl for rolling.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, clove and salt together. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, cream the butter and larger amount of sugar together on high until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Scrape the bowl with a spatula, then beat in the molasses and egg. Turn the mixer on low and slowly add in the dry mixture. Scrape the bowl and bet until smooth.
Roll the dough into 1 tablespoon balls. Roll each ball in sugar and place on baking sheets two inches apart. Bake for 9-10 minutes.
- Cool completely on the baking sheets before moving.