Best Easy Remoulade Sauce
The Best Cajun Remoulade Sauce for Crab Cakes
From French cuisine to fried American southern staples, a creamy and zesty Remoulade Sauce is a beloved international condiment.
Because of the bright and acidic notes, it is often served with seafood, like crab claws or Crab Cakes, shrimp, and oysters, prepared in any number of ways. Louisiana-Style Remoulades also feature spicy and flavorful Cajun Seasoning, making it very popular alongside Creole-inspired dishes.
Remoulade can be one of those recipes that people tend to overdo. You will often find recipes with laundry lists of specialty ingredients “needed.” But really, you can make GREAT tasting (in my humble opinion, the BEST tasting) remoulade with just 5 simple ingredients.
Ingredients You Need
Our classic Remoulade Sauce recipe has only 5 ingredients, and can be easily customized to suit your tastes.
Note: The Creole/Cajun seasoning has many of the herbs and spices often added to Remoulade in one power-packed jar. Most of the ingredients in this recipe have ample salt, so it’s best to use low sodium Cajun Seasoning.
- Mayonnaise – for a paleo mayo recipe check out the recipe card in this Easy Buffalo Chicken Salad Recipe!
- Sweet Pickle Juice – just 2 tablespoons for a creamy and slightly sweet sauce
- Dijon Mustard – a must-have from Remoulade Sauce’s French roots
- Prepared Horseradish – adds a kick of deep, earthy spice
- Low Sodium Cajun Seasoning – or Creole Seasoning or our Best Ever Blackened Seasoning
Cook’s Notes: If you want the sauce smooth, use pickle juice. If you like a chunky Remoulade, use sweet pickle relish. Feel free to include spicy pickle relish for extra heat.
We are using pickle juice for tang. However, some people like their dipping sauce even more tangier. Feel free to add in fresh lemon juice as well!
If you are not a fan of mayonnaise, you can substitute sour cream instead.
How to Make Remoulade Sauce from Scratch
Prep for this no-cook condiment takes just 5 minutes.
However, as with nearly all dipping sauces like this, the flavor improves with time, so it’s best to make it ahead several hours (or the day before) serving.
Follow these 3 easy steps to make the best tangy, tasty homemade Remoulade Sauce:
- Set out a medium mixing bowl. Measure and add all the ingredients to the bowl.
- Mix very well until smooth and creamy.
- Cover and chill in the fridge until ready to use.
Get the Complete (Printable) Best Easy Remoulade Sauce Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Spoon out individual portions into ramekins to serve alongside your favorite Cajun seafood and fried dishes.
How Long Does Homemade Remoulade Sauce Keep Well?
Remoulade Sauce keeps very well in the fridge. In fact, it tastes best when made a day or so before enjoying it!
Store the sauce in an airtight container with a lid and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
What Do You Serve with Remoulade Sauce?
Remoulade Sauce is classically paired with crab cakes, but truly is delicious with nearly any seafood and/or Cajun-inspired dish! It goes fantastic with blackened catfish, shrimp, or Pan Seared Scallops.
You can also use this as a spread for sandwiches
It even makes a great option to use instead of classic ketchup for dipping French fries!
What Else Can I Add To Remoulade?
Our version is meant to be quick and easy with no chopping and prep work. However, feel free to add in lemon zest, chopped scallions (green onion), chopped parsley, capers, minced cornichons, smoked paprika, or extra cayenne pepper for kick!
Looking for More Easy and Delicious Sauce Recipes?
- Spicy Mustard Seafood Sauce
- (Magic) Easy Aioli Sauce
- How to Make the Best Tzatziki Sauce
- Southern Comeback Dipping Sauce
- Homemade Yum Yum Sauce
- Homemade Tartar Sauce
- Hot Sauce Cajun Shrimp Dip
- Creamy Garlic Lime Vinaigrette
- Cranberry Jalapeno Peppers Dip
Check the printable recipe card before for the nutritional information including calories, carbohydrates, protein, cholesterol, sodium, potassium, fiber, vitamin c, and calcium.
The Best Easy Remoulade Sauce
- Set out a medium mixing bowl.
- Measure and add all the ingredients to the bowl.
- Mix well. Cover and chill until ready to use.