Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipe
Easy Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipe
A creamy, cool and tangy Tartar Sauce is the perfect condiment to enjoy with nearly any and all seafood dishes. From baked fish to fried shrimp and oysters, it adds a welcomed burst of freshness and zesty flavor.
The standard tartar sauce recipe is pretty basic, typically made with mayo and pickles. However, there are some very simple ways you can use on-hand pantry items to make the flavor brighter and bolder.
This incredibly easy no-cook Tartar Sauce takes only 5 minutes to prepare with a handful of ingredients, and can be customized to your tastes. Give it a try and I’m sure it will be your favorite go-to condiment for all of your seafood recipes from now on!
Ingredients You Need
This is by far our favorite combination of ingredients for making Tartar Sauce from scratch. We use relish (instead of standard pickles) for less chopping, plus a few goodies to really enhance the bright flavors.
The result is a sauce that is deliciously bold, but not too overpowering for enjoying with light fish dishes.
To make the best, easiest Tartar Sauce you need:
- Mayonnaise – the base for a creamy sauce, you can use regular mayo or get our recipe for paleo mayo in this Buffalo Chicken Salad Recipe!
- Chunky sweet pickle relish – we like spicy-sweet like Wickles Wicked Relish, or you can use spicy relish for a kick of heat to your sauce
- Fresh chopped dill – for bright fresh flavor
- Lemon juice – adds just the right acidity needed for the perfect sauce
- Worcestershire sauce – gives the sauce a slightly smoky, earthy and savory taste
- Onion powder – adds perk and brings all of the flavors together
How to Make Tartar Sauce from Scratch
Whip up a batch of terrific tangy homemade Tartar Sauce in just 5 minutes – no cooking needed!
But, as with most creamy dipping sauces, the flavor will get better as the ingredients sit together. We, therefore, recommend that you make ahead several hours up to a day or so before enjoying.
Here is how to make the best Tartar Sauce in 3 easy steps:
- First, set out a medium mixing bowl. Measure and add all ingredients to the bowl.
- Mix until thoroughly combined and creamy.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator until chilled.
Get the Complete (Printable) Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipe Below. Enjoy!
When you’re ready to serve, spoon the sauce into ramekins and enjoy with your favorite seafood dishes.
What Dishes Go Well With Homemade Tartar Sauce
Enjoy as a dip or spread for snacks, lunches, and dinners.
A dish of cool, creamy and tangy Tartar sauce is the perfect condiment to accompany nearly any seafood dish. Enjoy with:
- Oven Baked or Grilled Salmon
- Lemon Pepper Grilled Cod
- Fried oysters … Either on the side to dip or as a smear on a fried oyster or shrimp po’boy sandwich.
- Perfect Maryland Crab Cakes
- Steamed or Fried Shrimp
- Fried Calamari
This flavorful sauce also pairs well with other sides like hushpuppies, roasted potatoes, and even simple French fries.
How to Store Leftovers
Keep homemade Tartar Sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
The flavors get even better as they sit together, so this sauce is perfect to make ahead at least a day or so before you serve.
Looking for More Classic Sauce Recipes?
- The BEST Homemade Cocktail Sauce
- Spicy Mustard Seafood Sauce
- (Magic) Easy Aioli Sauce
- Homemade Yum Yum Sauce
- Creamy Chimichurri Sauce
Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipe
- Set out a medium mixing bowl. Measure and add all ingredients to the bowl.
- Mix well.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.