Creamy Chimichurri Sauce Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Creamy Chimichurri Sauce Recipe – Bright and herbaceous Chimichurri becomes a wonderfully creamy sauce by adding just one simple, tangy ingredient. Enjoy Creamy Chimichurri as a sauce, dip, or dressing!
What is Chimichurri?
If you have never had chimichurri sauce before, or if you’ve had it and weren’t quite sure what you were enjoying, chimichurri is a simple uncooked sauce made by blending fresh herbs, vinegar, and seasonings.
We love making quick chimichurri sauce all summer to use up an abundance of garden herbs and to add a punch of freshness to grilled meats and vegetables.
Wanting to enjoy the bright, bold, and herbaceous flavor of this beloved condiment but as a cool, dip-able snack, we came up with this perfect Creamy Chimichurri Sauce recipe by adding just one simple, tangy ingredient to our classic chimichurri!
Cool and Creamy Chimichurri Sauce
So what do you need to turn a wonderfully vibrant chimichurri into a wonderfully vibrant and tangy Creamy Chimichurri Sauce?
The secret ingredient is sour cream!
With the cool and creamy addition of sour cream, the sauce becomes fabulous for dipping chips, crackers, and raw veggies. It also adds a luxurious touch when spooned over or served on the side of main dish proteins.
This no-cook condiment is quick to make and offers vibrance to anything you serve with it. Give it a try at your barbecues and potlucks this season!
What Ingredients You Need
Similar to Italian pesto, chimichurri is an herb-based condiment that is blended with garlic and seasoning. However, while traditional pesto is made with oil, chimichurri includes vinegar for a more pungent, tangy taste.
The kick of bright acid is mellowed by adding smooth and rich sour cream. Together, they create a mouthwateringly cool and flavor-packed sauce that you’ll want to enjoy with all of your summer dishes!
Here are the simple ingredients to make the best Creamy Chimichurri Sauce recipe:
- Italian parsley
- Dried oregano
- Red wine vinegar
- Ground cumin
- Crushed red pepper
- Sour cream
Can’t find parsley? No problem! Chimichurri can be made with a large bunch of cilantro, arugula, or watercress as well.
You can also use a low fat sour cream or Greek yogurt for a lighter, healthier version of this sauce.
How to Make Creamy Chimichurri Sauce
All you need is a food processor and a few minutes to create this incredibly delicious no-cook sauce.
Here are 3 easy steps to make perfectly Creamy Chimichurri Sauce:
- First, set out a large food processor. Place the parsley or fresh herbs of choice, dried oregano, vinegar, cumin, minced garlic, salt, and crushed red pepper in the processor bowl. Cover and pulse until the parsley is finely chopped.
- Then, add the sour cream. Puree until just smooth.
- Taste and add more salt if needed.
Cover or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until you are ready to serve cold.
The sauce will thicken as it chills. I recommend that you keep it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to an hour before enjoying for a terrifically smooth and creamy consistency.
Get the Complete (Printable) Creamy Chimichurri Sauce Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Ways to Enjoy Creamy Chimichurri Sauce
- Like traditional non-creamy chimichurri, this sour cream-based sauce can be enjoyed as a flavorful condiment on grilled vegetables and proteins such as steak, pork, and chicken. Smear spoonfuls of Creamy Chimichurri Sauce over grilled corn on the cob for the perfect summer side dish.
- It is delicious as a dipping sauce for chips and fresh veggies. I love eating Creamy Chimichurri Sauce with super crunchy carrots, peppers, and asparagus stalks.
- You can also use this recipe as a citrus-free substitute for the lime vinaigrette in this Brazilian Chopped Salad, or as a creamy dressing on any salad!
How Long Will This Sauce Keep In the Fridge?
Homemade chimichurri sauce with sour cream will keep well in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
But truthfully, it has never lasted that long in my house.
I hope you and your family give our recipe a try soon!
Looking for More Delicious Sauce and Dip Recipes?
- (Magic) Easy Aioli Sauce
- The Best Homemade Bean Dip
- Spicy Mustard Seafood Sauce
- Roasted Poblano Avocado Dip Recipe
- The Best Ranchero Sauce Recipe
- Spicy Feta Dip with Roasted Red Peppers
Creamy Chimichurri Sauce Recipe
- Set out a large food processor. Place the parsley, oregano, vinegar, cumin, garlic, salt, and crushed red pepper in the bowl. Cover and pulse until the parsley in finely chopped.
- Then add the sour cream. Puree until smooth. Taste, then add additional salt if needed.
- Cover the creamy chimichurri and refrigerate until ready to serve. The sauce will thicken as it chills.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!