Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe (Oven-Fried!)
Oven-Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe – Enjoy ultra-crispy, tangy fried green tomatoes with less oil and less mess by baking in the oven! Our healthier oven baked fried green tomatoes recipe is also easy to make gluten-free.
When summer arrives I’ve only got one thing on my mind… Crispy on the outside, soft and tangy on the inside, fried green tomatoes dunked in creamy dressing.
There’s just something magical about sitting outside on a warm evening with a big, cold glass of sweet tea or lemonade, and biting into a perfectly crunchy fried green tomato. Even with a hearty crust the tomato inside stays fresh and vibrant, and simply melts in your mouth.
Do you have green tomatoes coming up in your garden this year? Bring a taste of the south to your kitchen by making Fried Green Tomatoes in the Oven and skip the excess fat, calories, and mess of this traditionally fried dish!
The Best Baked “Fried” Green Tomatoes
Hands-down baking is the best method for easily making extra crunchy Fried Green Tomatoes. It creates way less of a mess, protects you from hot oil splatter, and significantly reduces the fat.
You can also use gluten-free flour and breadcrumbs to make a gluten-free version.
This recipe requires just about 10 minutes of prep, and “fried” green tomatoes are ready to enjoy hot out of the oven in less than 30 minutes.
Easy, quick, healthy, crispy, juicy and flavorful: These baked Fried Green Tomatoes seriously are the BEST!
Ingredients You Need
This is one of those beautiful dishes that stays simple and focused on just a few key ingredients.
The crust should be substantial but light, with seasonings that highlight (and don’t overpower) the fresh green tomato flavor.
Here is what you need to make the Best Oven Fried Green Tomatoes:
- Unripe green tomatoes
- Panko breadcrumbs – or gluten free panko
- All-purpose flour – or your favorite gluten free flour
- Cajun seasoning – AKA creole seasoning
- Ground cumin
- Cooking oil – vegetable oil or olive oil
- Caesar or Ranch dressing – for dipping
Notice in the photos, green tomatoes do not need to be fully green.
They should just be at least partially green and extra firm, so they have a sharp, tangy flavor.
How to Make Fried Green Tomatoes in the Oven
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, and set out a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle the oil on the baking sheet and spread it around with a spoon or brush. Prep the tomatoes by slicing them into ¼ inch rounds.
2. Set out 3 bowls: Pour the flour in one bowl, and the panko in the second bowl. In the third bowl combine the buttermilk, Cajun seasoning, salt, and cumin, and mix well.
3. One at a time, dip the slices of tomato in the flour. Shake off the excess flour and dip the tomato slice in the buttermilk. Then, shake off the excess buttermilk over the bowl. Lastly, dip the slice in Panko breadcrumbs.
Gently press the tomato into the breadcrumbs to get a nice, thick coating.
4. Lay each coated tomato slice on the baking sheet, then flip it so it is coated in oil on both sides. Repeat with the remaining green tomato slices.
5. Bake for 12 minutes. Use a small spatula to flip the tomato slices over. Then bake again for 12 minutes, until perfectly golden brown.
Get the Complete (Printable) Oven Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Serve warm with a side of Caesar dressing or ranch dressing for dipping.
Our healthier oven-baked Fried Green Tomatoes are perfect for enjoying as an appetizer, over cheesy grits, or even on top of a bed of fresh greens for a hearty summer salad that’s full of great textures and southern flavor.
How Do I Keep and Reheat Fried Green Tomatoes?
These Fried Green Tomatoes baked in the oven are great for making in a large batch and saving leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days, or the freezer for up to 3 months.
For storing, place in an airtight container in a single layer, not stacked on top of each other, to prevent the tomatoes from getting soggy.
To reheat I recommend baking in an 350 degree F oven on a baking sheet lined with parchment or foil for several minutes to get nice and crispy again.
How Can I Make Gluten-Free Fried Green Tomatoes?
You can easily swap the all-purpose flour and Panko breadcrumbs for gluten-free flour and breadcrumbs.
What if I Don’t Have Buttermilk?
A simple buttermilk substitute is to combine regular milk with either a tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar, and let stand at room temperature for at least 5 minutes before using.
Looking for More Classic Southern Recipes for Summer?
- Southern Shrimp and Grits
- Oven Baked “Fried” Pickles with Garlic Sauce
- Jalapeno Hushpuppies Recipe
- Grandma’s Best Ambrosia Salad
- Southern Tomato Pie Recipe
Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe (Oven-Fried!)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Set out a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle the oil on the baking sheet and spread it around with a spoon or brush.
- Slice the tomatoes into ¼ inch rounds. Set aside.
- Set out 3 bowls. Pour the flour in one bowl, and the panko in the seconds bowl. In the third bowl combine the buttermilk, Cajun seasoning, salt, and cumin. Mix well.
- One at a time, dip the slices of tomato in the flour. Shake off the excess flour and dip the tomato slice in the buttermilk. Shake off the excess buttermilk over the bowl, then dip the slice in breadcrumbs.
- Lay each slice on the baking sheet, then flip it so it is coated in oil on both sides. Repeat with the remaining green tomato slices.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Use a small spatula to flip the tomato slices over. Then bake again for 12 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve warm with a side of Caesar dressing for dipping.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!