Balsamic Roasted Cherry Tomatoes (with Pasta)
Balsamic Oven Roasted Cherry Tomatoes Recipe – Roasting fresh cherry tomatoes with balsamic vinegar brings out their bright, bold flavor. Perfect for using to make rustic and delicious dishes, like cherry tomato pasta sauce!
Balsamic Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
There’s nothing quite so magical as those few weeks between the seasons. Personally, I love the time when late summer and early fall overlap. The sun is strong but the days start to get shorter, and there’s a slight chill in the air.
Perhaps best of all, there are lots of fresh veggies to enjoy!
If you’re like us you probably have a great bounty of tomatoes by the end of the summer. Yay! Garden fresh tomatoes are great for making all kinds of easy homemade recipes, like zesty salsa and old-fashioned tomato jam.
And of course, tomatoes are delicious as part of Italian-inspired dishes. We love this simple Oven Roasted Balsamic Cherry Tomatoes recipe that uses ripe cherry tomatoes, kissed with garlic and sweet balsamic vinegar.
It’s a fabulous way to use up end-of-season tomatoes and is a terrifically versatile side dish/condiment. Use balsamic roasted tomatoes on salads, sandwiches, in soups, and on charcuterie boards. You can bring some of that bright summer flavor to the top of main dish proteins, or shmear it on toasty bread…
Or best of all, use it as a no-fuss pasta sauce. Just toss the oven-roasted tomatoes with fresh cooked pasta and dinner is served!
Ingredients You Need
This is one of those amazing recipes… It includes only 6 simple ingredients, but tastes wonderfully complex and satisfying.
To make the Oven Roasted Balsamic Cherry Tomatoes you need:
- Ripe cherry tomatoes – or grape tomatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil – or preferred high heat neutral-tasting oil
- Garlic – minced
- Fresh thyme – or dried thyme – see notes in the recipe card
- Aged balsamic vinegar – high quality is best
- Granulated sugar – just a touch to balance the acidity and caramelize the tomatoes
- Salt and pepper – to taste
How to Roast Cherry Tomatoes
First, preheat the oven to 400°F. Set out a large rimmed baking sheet. You can line it with parchment if you like.
Rinse and dry the cherry tomatoes, and cut in halves. Place the tomatoes on the baking sheet. Then drizzle on the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Then sprinkle the minced garlic, fresh thyme leaves, and sugar over the tomatoes.
Gently toss to coat.
Spread the tomatoes out in a single layer and generously sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Roast in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the tomatoes are very wilted, and the pan juices have started to thicken.
Get the Complete (Printable) Balsamic Roasted Cherry Tomatoes Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Enjoy right away or refrigerate the roasted cherry tomatoes until ready to use.
How to Make Roasted Cherry Tomato Pasta
If you are making the tomatoes and pasta at the same time for dinner, I suggest you start boiling the water 15-20 minutes or so after getting the balsamic cherry tomatoes in the oven.
Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain but make sure to reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water.
Once the roasted cherry tomatoes come out of the oven, place the cooked pasta in a large bowl. Pour the oven-roasted cherry tomatoes and juices over the top.
Now add the fresh basil and Parmesan cheese to the bowl. Use tongs to toss the pasta and coat in the sauce.
If needed, add in 1/4 – 1/2 cup pasta water to loosen up the sauce. Take care to add the water in small amounts so you use just enough and not more.
Serve the pasta with roasted cherry tomato sauce warm.
Frequently Asked Questions
Hot and fresh roasted tomatoes are delicious in soups, like creamy tomato soup, or on Italian sandwiches or burgers. Enjoy as a snack or side with a hunk of toasty bread, on a charcuterie board, or just by themselves with a fork!
Elevate this simple pasta dish with other yummy seasonal veggies, like asparagus (cut and roasted with the tomatoes!) or fresh spinach. Add mozzarella cheese, chopped cooked chicken, or sauteed shrimp to the finished dish for an even heartier meal.
Use your fave GF-friendly pasta to pair with the balsamic roasted cherry tomato sauce. Or mix with zucchini noodles for a low-carb option.
Balsamic cherry tomatoes will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days stored in an airtight container. Use cold or reheat briefly in the oven or microwave.
Looking for More Easy Italian-Inspired Recipes?
Balsamic Roasted Cherry Tomatoes (with Pasta)
For the Balsamic Roasted Cherry Tomatoes –
For the Cherry Tomato Pasta –
- 1 pound spaghetti or fettuccini
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup shaved parmesan cheese
- For the roasted cherry tomato recipe: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Set out a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Rinse and dry the cherry tomatoes. Cut in halves. Then place on the baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the top of the tomatoes. Sprinkle the minced garlic, fresh thyme leaves, and sugar over the tomatoes. Gently toss to coat.
- Spread the tomatoes out in a single layer. Generously sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the tomatoes are very wilted, and the pan juices have started to thicken.
- Serve warm, or refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the cherry tomato pasta: Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water.
- Once the roasted cherry tomatoes come out of the oven, place the cooked pasta in a large bowl. Pour the cherry tomatoes and juices over the top.
- Add the fresh basil and Parmesan cheese. Toss to coat the pasta in the sauce. If needed, toss in 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup pasta water to loosen up the sauce. (Being careful not to add too much additional liquid.) Serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!