Balsamic Roasted Cherry Tomatoes (with Pasta)
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Balsamic Oven Roasted Cherry Tomatoes Recipe – Roasting fresh cherry tomatoes with balsamic vinegar brings out their bright, bold flavor. They are perfect for using to make rustic and delicious dishes, like cherry tomato pasta sauce!
Balsamic Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
There’s nothing quite so magical as those few weeks between the seasons. Personally, I love the time when late summer and early fall overlap. The sun is strong but the days start to get shorter, and there’s a slight chill in the air.
Perhaps best of all, there are lots of fresh veggies to enjoy!
If you’re like us you probably have a great bounty of tomatoes by the end of the summer. Garden fresh tomatoes are great for making all kinds of easy homemade recipes, like zesty salsa and old-fashioned tomato jam.
And of course, tomatoes are delicious as part of Italian-inspired dishes. We love this simple Oven Roasted Balsamic Cherry Tomatoes recipe that uses ripe cherry tomatoes, kissed with garlic and sweet balsamic vinegar.
It’s a fabulous way to use up end-of-season tomatoes and is a terrifically versatile side dish/condiment. Use balsamic roasted tomatoes on salads, sandwiches, in soups, and on charcuterie boards. You can bring some of that bright summer flavor to the top of main dish proteins, or shmear it on toasty bread…
Or best of all, use it as a no-fuss pasta sauce. Just toss the oven-roasted tomatoes with fresh cooked pasta and dinner is served!
Ingredients You Need
This is one of those amazing recipes that includes only 6 simple ingredients, but tastes wonderfully complex and satisfying.
To make the Oven Roasted Balsamic Cherry Tomatoes you need:
- Ripe cherry tomatoes – or grape tomatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil – or preferred high heat neutral-tasting oil
- Garlic – minced
- Fresh thyme – or dried thyme – see notes in the recipe card
- Aged balsamic vinegar – high quality is best
- Granulated sugar – just a touch to balance the acidity and caramelize the tomatoes
- Salt and pepper – to taste
How to Roast Cherry Tomatoes
First, preheat the oven to 400°F. Set out a large rimmed baking sheet. You can line it with parchment if you like.
Rinse and dry the cherry tomatoes, and cut them in halves. Place the tomatoes on the baking sheet. Then drizzle on the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Then sprinkle the minced garlic, fresh thyme leaves, and sugar over the tomatoes.
Gently toss to coat.
Spread the tomatoes out in a single layer and generously sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Roast in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the tomatoes are very wilted, and the pan juices have started to thicken.
Get the Complete (Printable) Balsamic Roasted Cherry Tomatoes Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Enjoy right away or refrigerate the roasted cherry tomatoes until ready to use.
How to Make Roasted Cherry Tomato Pasta
If you are making the tomatoes and pasta at the same time for dinner, I suggest you start boiling the water 15-20 minutes or so after getting the balsamic cherry tomatoes in the oven.
Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain it, but make sure to reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water.
Once the roasted cherry tomatoes come out of the oven, place the cooked pasta in a large bowl. Pour the oven-roasted cherry tomatoes and juices over the top.
Now add the fresh basil and Parmesan cheese to the bowl. Use tongs to toss the pasta and coat it in the sauce.
If needed, add in 1/4 – 1/2 cup pasta water to loosen up the sauce. Take care to add the water in small amounts so you use just enough and not more.
Serve the pasta with roasted cherry tomato sauce warm.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are other ideas for how to enjoy homemade roasted cherry tomatoes?
Hot and fresh roasted tomatoes are delicious in soups, like creamy tomato soup, or on Italian sandwiches or burgers. Enjoy as a snack or side with a hunk of toasty bread, on a charcuterie board, or just by themselves with a fork!
What other ingredients can I use to make pasta with roasted cherry tomato sauce?
Elevate this simple pasta dish with other yummy seasonal veggies, like asparagus (cut and roasted with the tomatoes) or fresh spinach. Add mozzarella cheese, chopped cooked chicken, or sauteed shrimp to the finished dish for an even heartier meal.
How do I make this a gluten-free or low-carb meal?
Use your fave GF-friendly pasta to pair with the balsamic roasted cherry tomato sauce. Or mix with zucchini noodles for a low-carb option.
How long do roasted tomatoes keep?
Balsamic cherry tomatoes will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days, stored in an airtight container. Use them cold or reheat them briefly in the oven or microwave.
Looking for More Easy Italian-Inspired Recipes?
- Oven-Baked Meatballs (Old School Italian Meatballs)
- Roasted Red Pepper Marinara
- Fresh Tomato and Sausage Ragu
- Rustic Ribollita (Tuscan White Bean Soup)
- Stacked Tomato Salad
Check the printable recipe card below for the nutrition information including calories, carbohydrates, protein, saturated fat, sodium, potassium, fiber, vitamin c, and calcium percentages.
Balsamic Roasted Cherry Tomatoes (with Pasta)
For the Balsamic Roasted Cherry Tomatoes –
- 2 pounds ripe cherry tomatoes halved (or grape tomatoes)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves or 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper
For the Cherry Tomato Pasta –
- 1 pound spaghetti or fettuccini
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup shaved parmesan cheese
- For the roasted cherry tomato recipe: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Set out a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Rinse and dry the cherry tomatoes. Cut in halves. Then place on the baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the top of the tomatoes. Sprinkle the minced garlic, fresh thyme leaves, and sugar over the tomatoes. Gently toss to coat.
- Spread the tomatoes out in a single layer. Generously sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the tomatoes are very wilted, and the pan juices have started to thicken.
- Serve warm, or refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the cherry tomato pasta: Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water.
- Once the roasted cherry tomatoes come out of the oven, place the cooked pasta in a large bowl. Pour the cherry tomatoes and juices over the top.
- Add the fresh basil and Parmesan cheese. Toss to coat the pasta in the sauce. If needed, toss in 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup pasta water to loosen up the sauce. (Being careful not to add too much additional liquid.) Serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
This was FANTASTIC!!! So easy and fresh flavor. I had a ton of cherry tomatoes and needed a recipe to put them in, I also added asparagus. This was actually very filling however, grilled chicken or grilled shrimp would be so good in this also! This is a definite winner in my house :)
Pingback: 46 Easy Tomato Recipes for Dinner, Snacks and Salads - Nurtured Homes
I always make cherry tomato pasta but never thought of roasting them first. Thanks for sharing;)
I used these balsamic cherry tomatoes for our pizza party, it’s a crowd favorite! The guests can’t resist its bursting flavors, sooo satisfying!
These cherry tomatoes are so beautiful and yummy! My kids love them. I used them for pasta and it was soooo good, no one can resist!
I could seriously just eat these all day!! Tomatoes with balsamic glaze are the best!! Love them alone & in this pasta!! So good!
A neighbor shared some garden fresh cherry tomatoes with us, and this recipe was perfect! I could eat it for lunch and dinner, it is so good!
Yum!! Simple, but bursting with flavor!! Love roasted tomatoes!
Oh wow! This sounds wonderful and the perfect addition to our pasta! Such a quick and easy dinner recipe. Beyond excited to make these tomatoes tonight!
These roasted tomatoes are the best with pasta! Such a great recipe!