Instant Pot Italian Beef
This easy Instant Pot Italian Beef is an amazing low carb pressure cooker beef recipe, that doubles as a quick Italian Beef Sandwich recipe with pepperoncinis!
Slow cooked beef, so tender it pulls into shred and melts in your mouth, is one of life’s true pleasures.
Although there are all sorts of ways to season and prepare beef like this, classic Italian Beef is a personal favorite. It offers a deep beefy flavor, laced with herbs and tangy pepperoncini peppers.
You can enjoy Italian Beef on it’s own as a low carb option, or pile it high on sub rolls and cover it with provolone cheese.
Who Invented Italian Beef?
Is Italian Beef Really Italian?
Sort of… It was actually invented in Chicago, in the 1930s, by an Italian immigrant and restaurant owner.
As the story goes, in a pinch Al Ferreri stretched a beef roast to feed over 150 people by shaving it extra thin and serving the meat, soaking in its juices, on bread.
This led to a sandwich shop chain that has been making beef sandwiches this way for decades.
What Kind of Meat Do You Use for Italian Beef?
Although any sort of beef roast could be used, I find you get the most flavor and the best texture from chuck roast.
However, if you happen to have another type of beef roast in the freezer, go for it!
In the original Italian Beef recipe Al shaved the beef into thin slivers. Yet most home cooks do not own a commercial meat slicer. Therefore we’ve changed the recipe to a shredded beef variation.
It offers the same flavors and appeal, with less equipment or time involved.
Italian Beef Ingredients
- Beef chuck roast – Perfectly marbled for the best shredded beef.
- Butter – Start the onions and garlic off in butter to release their flavors.
- Red onion – Sliced, not chopped.
- Garlic – The more the merrier!
- Pepperoncini – Use mild or hot peppers, making sure to reserve some juices for the recipe.
- Worcestershire sauce – To accentuate the deep beefy flavor.
- Beef broth – Used instead of wine for a low carb paleo version.
- Sugar – Just a small amount of brown sugar (or palm sugar) balances the tangy ingredients.
- Italian seasoning – This dried Italian herb blend puts the I in Italian.
- Crushed red pepper – For kick!
In my original slow cooker recipe, I add wine to the cooking broth to deepen the flavor.
However here we are trying to keep the recipe low carb, so feel free to skip the wine… And for very low carb (keto) skip the sugar as well.
How to Make Instant Pot Italian Beef
You can make Chicago Italian Beef in the oven or in a slow cooker. However, if you want to make it in the least amount of time, a pressure cooker is the best option.
- Sauté – Cook the onions and garlic on the sauté setting to soften and sweeten them.
- Pressure Cook – Next add all remaining ingredients . Then set the Instant Pot on high for 50 minutes.
- Shred – Once it’s safe to open the pressure cooker lid, shred the beef in the juices. It will be so soft and tender, you can shred it with tongs or a couple forks.
For quick Italian beef sandwiches, pile the beef on sub rolls. Lay a slice of provolone cheese over the top. And set under the broiler for 1-3 minutes to melt the cheese.
Low Carb Italian Beef
If you are sticking to a strict low carb, paleo, or ketogenic diet, skip the traditional bread!
You can adjust this low carb base recipe to be even lower in carbs by taking out the little bit of sugar. However, I feel it does help balance the overall flavor.
Consider adding a keto sweetener like stevia or erythritol instead of sugar.
Then serve this Easy Instant Pot Italian Beef recipe with:
See Our Pressure Cooker Italian Beef Video Tutorial Below In The Recipe
Instant Pot Italian Beef
- 3 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck
- 4 tablespoons butter (pork fat for paleo)
- 1 large red onion, peeled and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 20 pepperoncini peppers (mild or hot)
- 1/4 cup pepperoncini juices
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or palm sugar)
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Set the Instant Pot on Sauté. Add the butter, onions, and garlic. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to soften the onions.
- Meanwhile, cut the beef chuck into 4 large chunks. Once the onions are soft, place the beef down in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add the pepperoncinis, pepper juice, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, sugar, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper.
- Lock the lid into place. Then set the Instant Pot on the Meat setting, or Pressure Cook High for 50 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, turn off the Instant Pot. Perform a Quick Release. Once the steam valve drops it's safe to open the lid.
- Use tongs or forks to shred the beef into the juices. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve as-is for a low carb meal, or serve on sub rolls with provolone cheese.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!