Instant Pot Italian Chicken Orzo
Instant Pot Italian Chicken Orzo Recipe – An easy one-pot pressure cooker meal with robust Italian flavors of tomato, rosemary, thyme and basil.
Sometimes I just need a little edible comfort in the form of pasta. Who’s with me?
Even in the summer, when I’m supposed to be sticking to barbecue and watermelon, I’ve got to have a carby pasta dish on occasion. It just makes me feel like all is right with the world.
Today’s Italian Chicken Orzo is a fabulous recipe year-round, yet I especially like to make it in the summer and early fall when my herbs are growing tall.
It’s also great for summer cooking, because the entire recipe is made in an Instant Pot, so you don’t have to turn on your oven or stovetop and heat up the house. It’s also fabulous for the fall back-to-school hustle and bustle of busy week nights.
To Instant Pot or Not to Instant Pot
Although I may get stoned for saying this, Instant Pots are not great for every type of recipe.
However, I have found with recipes like this Italian Chicken Orzo dish you can pressure cook your chicken to tender perfection, and boil your pasta at the same time… In just 4 minutes!
Of course, you do have to account for the time it takes to build pressure in the Instant Pot, and the time it takes to release the pressure. So in all honesty, it takes about the same time on the stovetop.
Therefore, if you love using your IP, go for it! Yet if you don’t own an Instant Pot, you can still make this recipe on the stovetop in about the same amount of time.
Italian Chicken Ingredients
- Bone-In Chicken Thighs (You can also use boneless thighs if desired.)
- Olive Oil
- Chopped Onion
- Garlic Clove
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- Dry Orzo Pasta
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Salt and Pepper
This cozy Instant Pot Chicken Orzo recipe is a quick Italian meal your whole family will love.
How to Make Instant Pot Italian Chicken Orzo
Seriously, Instant Pot Chicken Orzo is so easy to make. Make sure to check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for any updates to the layering of the ingredients in the newest Instant Pot models.
- Sauté the chicken thighs in the pot to create some caramelization on the skin.
- Next add in onions, garlic, orzo, tomatoes, and fresh garden herbs. Stir in water and position the chicken thighs on top.
- Then pressure cook the pasta and chicken together.
- I like to stir in fresh basil leaves at the end, so you have the deep herby undertones of the pressure cooked herbs, balanced by a pop of fresh sweetness from the raw basil.
This simple meal is so satisfying, it’s sure to end up on your regular dinner rotation.
And if you don’t have an Instant Pot, remember, you can still make it on the stovetop.
Get The Full (Printable) Recipe Below For How To Make Instant Pot Italian Chicken Orzo.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does this recipe last?
You can store this in the fridge for 4 to 6 days in an airtight container.
Can the bone-in chicken be swapped for boneless chicken thighs? What about swapping the fresh herbs for dried?
Of course! Boneless chicken thighs will work just as well. When substituting dried herbs, I usually reduce the herbs down to 1/3 of the fresh proportions. So 1 tablespoon of fresh would equal 1 teaspoon dried.
Could I use chicken breast in this recipe?
Absolutely! You can swap out the chicken thighs with chicken breast and cook for the same time at the same temp!
Can I substitute the orzo pasta with brown rice?
Yes you can, although this would change the cooking time a little bit. Brown rice usually takes about 15 minutes on high pressure.
More Amazing Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Bang Bang Shrimp
- Perfect Instant Pot Carnitas
- Instant Pot Chinese Sesame Chicken
- Pasta with Vodka Sauce
- IP Keto Crustless Quiche
- Pressure Cooker Applesauce
- Shrimp Fra Diavolo Pasta
- Pressure Cooker Corned Beef Irish Stew
- Instant Pot Indian Butter Chicken
- Instant Pot Pot Roast
Check out our recipe card below…
Instant Pot Italian Chicken Orzo
- Place the oil in the Instant Pot and set on Sauté. Salt and pepper the chicken pieces on both sides. Then place them skin-side-down in the Instant Pot. Sauté for 5 minutes per side, then remove from the pot. Scrape the bottom of the pot with a metal spatula to loosen any chicken skin.
- Next, add the onions and garlic to the pan juices. Sauté for 1-2 minutes. Then pour in the water and use a metal spatula to thoroughly deglaze the bottom of the pot. (Any skin or debris stuck to the bottom of the pot could later result in a "burn" notice.)
- Add the fresh herbs and diced tomatoes. Season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and stir well. Set the chicken thighs back in the pot. Then pour the orzo on top. Lock the lid into place and set the Instant Pot on Pressure Cook High for 4 minutes. (It's important that the orzo goes in last so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.)
- Once the timer goes off, turn off the Instant Pot and perform a Quick Release. When the steam valve button drops, it's safe to open the top. Remove all herb stems. Taste the orzo, and season with salt and pepper as needed. Stir in the fresh basil and serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!