Tangy sweet Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Skillet, a quickie dinner with fabulous summertime appeal!
We’re keeping it light and lean this swimsuit season.
My family isn’t always thrilled about eating just grilled protein and salads every night. Therefore I’ve started taking some of our favorite comfort dishes and lightening them up for summer.
Take pizza for instance… Did you know you can make a low carb version in a cast iron skillet? Sort of.
In today’s Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Skillet recipe I’ve combined the bold flavors of both Hawaiian Style Pizza and BBQ Chicken Pizza, while removing the cheese and the crust.
You might be thinking, “But those are the best parts?!”
Hear me out on this… I love bread and cheese just as much as the next person, yet the toppings of these two pizzas are so tantalizing, you won’t even miss the crust. I swear!
This easy Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Skillet is sautéed with crispy bacon, sweet peppers, onions, and fresh pineapple. Then simmered in barbecue sauce, with a little kiss of ginger and soy.
The combination are rich salty pork, ripe pineapple, chicken, and your favorite barbecue sauce is beyond delicious!
Our One-Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Skillet recipe is a vivacious meal you can make in minutes, that is satisfying to the whole family.
Or just make it a meal, and skip the sides.
Hawaiian Pizza meets BBQ Chicken Pizza (sparks fly) and promptly dumps the crust for being too clingy… In the hips.
Don’t feel bad; it needed to happen.
More Low(er) Carb Favorites
Check out our video tutorial below…
Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Skillet
- 1 1/4 pound chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks, 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce, your favorite brand
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Place the bacon in a large skillet and set over medium heat. Break the pieces apart with a wooden spoon and cook until reddish-brown, 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and grated ginger. Sauté for 1 minute. Then add in the chicken pieces. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then push the chicken to the sides of the pan and add the bell pepper.
- Sear the peppers for 1-2 minutes. Then add in the pineapple chunks, bbq sauce, and soy sauce. Stir well to coat and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle with scallions. Serve warm with a salad or side of rice.
This recipe can be gluten free is you use gluten free soy sauce and bbq sauce.