Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Michelada inspired Mexican Shrimp Cocktail Cups with a spicy Cocktail Sauce Recipe! This zesty shrimp recipe is perfect for parties and oh so easy to love!
Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
There is no party food more iconic than Shrimp Cocktail.
This classic appetizer has graced every sort of gathering across the nation, from elegant soirees to neighborhood potlucks.
It’s light, bold, sweet, and tangy… With that all-important pop of horseradish heat!
We love our classic shrimp cocktail sauce recipe.
However, if you’re looking to spice things up this party season, why not add a little extra something to your shrimp cocktail recipe?
Best Cocktail Sauce Recipe
The key to making a mind-blowing shrimp cocktail sauce is to:
- Use your favorite brand of ketchup as the base
- Squeeze fresh citrus (don’t use the bottled juice)
- Give the sauce complexity with a splash of Worcestershire sauce.
- And do not take it easy on the spice. Use as much prepared horseradish and hot sauce as you like!
Cocktail sauce is meant to bring the heat.
Mexican Shrimp Cocktail Sauce Recipe
For years, I’ve been adding extra horseradish and hot sauce to my shrimp cocktail sauce, so it packs a punch.
Why not take it a step further?
Today’s Mexican inspired shrimp cocktail blends all the best flavors of a great Michelada Cocktail (like tomato, lime, Mexican beer, and spice) with traditional shrimp cocktail ingredients.
It’s zesty, perky, spicy and yet still refreshing. You’ve got to try it!
Mexican Shrimp Cocktail Ingredients
- Jumbo Shrimp – Raw. For the best flavor, I like to cook them myself. However, if you are in a huge hurry you can buy pre-cooked shrimp.
- Oil – Just a little, to roast the shrimp.
- Ketchup – The base of the cocktail sauce.
- Lime Juice – Freshly squeezed. This replaces the lemon juice in classic recipes.
- Mexican Lager – Pick a light Mexican beer to offer Michelada flavor.
- Worcestershire Sauce – This offers depth and seasoning to both Micheladas and classic shrimp cocktail sauce.
- Prepared Horseradish – For unique spicy heat!
- Hot Sauce – Double the heat. Select a Mexican variety, like Cholula.
- Simple Syrup – To garnish the rims of the cups.
- Tajin Seasoning – A tangy spice blend to garnish the rims of the cups or glasses.
Get The Full (Printable) Shrimp Cocktail Sauce Recipe Below
Shrimp Cocktail Cups
You can serve our Mexican Shrimp Cocktail Recipe on a large platter, or over salad.
However, my favorite way to serve it for parties is in individual disposable cups. That way, the guests can carry the cups around with them, for easy mingling.
Garnish the rims of the cups with a salty spice blend to mimic a Michelada cocktail! You can also add a fancy toothpick to each cup to make it easier to pick up the shrimp.
Your guests will love this Shrimp Cocktail Recipe and so will you!
Michelada Shrimp Cocktail Sauce FAQ
No, it is not because it has beer in it. However, you can substitute a gluten-free beer in its place.
Yes, if you skip the beer this recipe is gluten-free. However, the beer and lime are what give the recipe the distinct “Michelada” flavor.
It is low carb as-is, however, it is not technically keto. Yet, you can use all-natural ketchup and hot sauce to make a close-to paleo version. (Beer isn’t paleo, but we’re just adding a little.)
Of course! Simple syrup is just 1 part water and 1 part sugar, dissolved. (In the microwave or on the stovetop.) However, you can mix 1 part water and 1 part honey for a quick version!
Absolutely! Mix a little salt with garlic powder, chili powder, and lime zest for a simple spice blend for the rims.
You can make the sauce up to a week in advance. However, I would not make the shrimp more than 1 day before serving. Shrimp can be a little finicky so it’s best to eat it within 24 hours.
Technically, yes… But I wouldn’t. The taste and texture are best fresh!
Make sure to check out our classic Shrimp Cocktail Sauce Recipe and spicy Michelada Cocktail Recipe!
Also, take a look at our tutorial on How To Clean Shrimp.
More Shrimp Recipes You Will Love
- Mexican Salad with Chipotle Shrimp
- Caribbean Shrimp Burgers
- Instant Pot Shrimp Pasta with Vodka Sauce
- Paella Stuffed Peppers
- Keto Creole Shrimp Stuffed Avocadoes
- Teriyaki BBQ Shrimp Skewers
- Shrimp Black Bean Rice Skillet
- Skillet Shrimp Fra Diavolo
- Yucatan Garlic Butter Shrimp
Mexican Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
- 3 pounds raw jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juce
- 1/4 cup Mexican lager beer
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (like Cholula)
- 2 tablespoons simple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Tajin seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Pat the shrimp dry with a paper towel and place them on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle the shrimp with oil and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Toss the shrimp to coat and spread them out on the baking sheet in a single layer. Roast in the oven for 5 minutes, or until pink. Do not leave the shrimp in the oven any longer than necessary, or they will turn tough and rubbery.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix the ketchup, lime juice, beer, worcestershire, horseradish, and hot sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Take the shrimp out of the oven and let them cool.
- Pour the simple syrup and Tajin seasoning on two small plates. Dip the rims of ten 4-6 ounce serving cups in the simple syrup, then in the Tajin seasoning to garnish the rims.
- Once the shrimp are cool, toss them into the cocktail sauce. Once coated, spoon the shrimp into the serving cups. Chill until ready to serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
I made this recipe tonight for just my husband and I because I wanted to give it a trial run. We enjoyed it along with some Margs (because it seemed like the right thing to do). So easy to make and absolutely delicious! I will definitely be making this again in the future to share with friends!
This recipe is great as is. I also make this a lot during the summer.
This was a party hit! Everyone loved it!
These are marvelous! Such a great idea for party food!
what fun starter to serve, thank you, love the cocktail sauce tips and recipe too, I like have the option to tweak the sauce for heat!
This looks so amazing! I am going to make it for our game night this week.
SO good. I love that they are tossed in the sauce, especially for parties. Frees up a hand for a cold lager.
Yum! I love serving shrimp cocktails at parties…am definitely going to make this twist on it next time!
We loved this shrimp cocktail! It’s spicy and delicious!
I can’t wait to make this for my shrimp-loving family! It looks incredible!