Instant Pot Shrimp Pasta with Vodka Sauce
Instant Pot Shrimp Pasta with Vodka Sauce is a delicious combination of succulent shrimp and al dente pasta coated in a rich and creamy tomato-based vodka sauce!
Why We Love This Shrimp Pasta With Vodka Sauce Recipe
Instant Pots are supposed to make life easier, right? Today I’m sharing a super easy Instant Pot Shrimp Pasta with Vodka Sauce recipe that will eliminate your fears and frustrations of pulling out the Instant Pot.
This simple Shrimp Pasta with Vodka Sauce is a classic combination you can make on the stovetop. Yet I will say, that using an Instant Pot does reduce dishwashing and time.
Another benefit is that cooking pasta in the Instant Pot, right in the sauce, infuses the sauce’s flavors into the pasta for a richer concentrated taste!
Our Instant Pot Shrimp Pasta with Vodka Sauce, also known as shrimp penne alla vodka, offers a bold zesty flavor, a luxuriously creamy sauce, and perfectly cooked pasta and shrimp… In minutes.
In my opinion, that alone is worth pulling out the Instant Pot!
But don’t worry, if you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can make this pasta recipe easily on the stovetop instead!
Pro Tip: If you don’t eat seafood, you can skip the shrimp altogether, or through in some Italian sausage to round out the dish!
Ingredients You Need
Our pressure cooker version of Penne alla Vodka, Instant Pot Shrimp Pasta with Vodka Sauce, is simple and straightforward, but tastes ostentatious. That’s a win-win in my book! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Butter: To sauté the onion and garlic! You can also use olive oil.
- Onion & Garlic: Onion and garlic start the flavor-building process and add aroma!
- Crushed Tomatoes: For the zesty base of the sauce.
- Crushed Red Pepper: For a little bit of heat!
- Water: To cook the pasta in the instant pot.
- Vodka: The alcohol in the vodka will get cooked off and leave a wonderful, peppery flavor.
- Penne Pasta: Short pasta like penne pasta works best here. You can also use rigatoni or ziti!
- Raw Shrimp: I like to use large, raw shrimp! Make sure to get the deveined and without the shell for ease.
- Heavy Cream: A little bit of cream balances out the acid in the tomato sauce and the peppery flavor of the vodka!
- Salt & Black Pepper: To taste.
- Parmesan Cheese: To garnish.
How to Make Instant Pot Shrimp Pasta with Vodka Sauce
Set the pressure cooker on Sauté. Add the butter, onions, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to soften the onions, stirring occasionally.
Add in the crushed tomatoes, water, vodka, penne, and 3/4 teaspoons salt. Stir to coat the pasta.
Cover and lock the lid into place. Set the Instant Pot on Pressure Cook High for 4 minutes. Once it is finished cooking, turn the Instant Pot Off, then press the button to Quick Release the steam, until the valve button drops.
Unlock the lid and stir the shrimp and cream into the pasta. Set the Instant Pot on Sauté and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the shrimp are pink. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm with parmesan cheese, if desired.
How to Make Shrimp Pasta on the Stovetop
If you don’t have an Instant Pot or pressure cooker, don’t worry! You can just as easily make this shrimp pasta with vodka sauce on the stovetop. It will take a little extra time, but it is very simple to whip up!
To cook on the stovetop, boil the pasta in a large pot of salted water as directed on the package and drain in a colander.
Place the butter, onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a large skillet. Set over medium to medium-high heat and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
Add the crushed tomatoes, 1 cup of water, and vodka to the pan. Simmer for 10 minutes. Pour the pasta, shrimp, and cream into the sauce and toss. Cook until the shrimp are pink.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese!
What Is Vodka Cream Sauce?
Vodka Sauce is a spicy marinara or tomato sauce, with a generous dose of heavy creamy blended in at the end of cooking, to provide a rich silky taste and texture.
The cream also neutralizes the spicy, so it’s spicy but not overbearing.
Honestly, I can’t imagine anything that would not taste better with a bit of vodka sauce. We’ve served it over steaks and lamb, with gnocchi, and even with roasted asparagus. Vodka sauce goes with seriously everything!
So if you are making this Shrimp Pasta recipe and want to pair it with other things, you can’t go wrong with a variety of different side dishes. Try pairing it with some of my favorites:
Get The Full Instant Pot Shrimp Pasta with Vodka Sauce Recipe Below.
Frequently Asked Questions
In most cases, it will take just 4 minutes on the Pressure Cooker High setting to make the perfect al dente pasta! The key to cooking pasta in a pressure cooker is to add just enough water or liquid so that you don’t have to drain the pasta at the end, but the “burn notice” does not turn off your Instant Pot while cooking, either!
Only slightly! You can adjust the level of heat based on how much crushed red pepper you add. If you like it spicy, add a little extra! The vodka adds an extra depth of flavor that is slightly peppery, but not spicy. The cream will also help balance out all of those flavors, so don’t skip it!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through!
Looking for More Easy Instant Pot Recipes? Be Sure to Also Try:
- Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
- Instant Pot Italian Chicken Orzo
- Instant Pot Bang Bang Shrimp Pasta
- Instant Pot Sesame Chicken
- Instant Pot Italian Beef
Instant Pot Shrimp Pasta with Vodka Sauce
- Set the pressure cooker on Sauté. Add the butter, onions, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to soften the onions, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, water, vodka, penne, and 3/4 teaspoons salt. Stir to coat the pasta.
- Cover and lock the lid into place. Set the Instant Pot on Pressure Cook High for 4 minutes. Once it is finished cooking, turn the Instant Pot Off, then press the button to Quick Release the steam, until the valve button drops.
- Unlock the lid and stir the shrimp and cream into the pasta. Set the Instant Pot on Sauté and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the shrimp are pink. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm with Parmesan cheese, if desired.