Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe – This fresh, zesty, and gluten free chicken tortilla soup is easily made in the slow cooker, perfect for setting and forgetting until dinnertime. Then, it’s completely unforgettable!
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
A classic Tex-Mex favorite. A true crowd pleaser. A bowl of divine comfort. Those are just a few ways that folks describe my gluten free Chicken Tortilla Soup.
This classic recipe is easily made on the stovetop in just over 30 minutes. But we decided to create this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup for an even more savory and crave-worthy – but still wonderfully simple – “set it and forget it” soup.
Loaded with juicy shredded chicken, flavorful veggies, rich spices and crunchy tortillas, each spoonful of this soup is like a complete meal. Bonus, our satisfying and delicious recipe is healthy and gluten free!
The Perfect Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
I’ve been making chicken tortilla soup for years. In fact, one of my oldest dearest friends was converted into a cilantro-lover by my tortilla soup recipe. No lie. Before she tried it, she swore off cilantro stating it tasted like dish soap. Tortilla soup made her a believer.
It’s also a dinner my kids ask for on a regular basis. Loaded with veggies, in the soup and on top, I’m always happy to oblige.
Our Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a spin on the classic, created for prep speed and ease, with the same vibrant zesty flavors as the original.
It’s designed for the cook that wants to start dinner in the morning before leaving for work. Then come home later to a house that smells like heaven.
Crockpot Tortilla Soup Ingredients
- Chicken – boneless, skinless breasts
- Carrots – peeled and thinly sliced
- Onion – peeled and chopped
- Garlic – peeled and chopped
- Cilantro – chopped
- Jalapeno – seeded and chopped
- Bay leaf
- Old El Paso Red Enchilada Sauce – found at your local grocery store!
- Chicken Broth
- Old El Paso Tostada Shells– yes, they are gluten free!
- Toppings – avocado, diced tomatoes, and shredded monterey jack cheese
To make morning prep quick and easy, I add the chicken breasts whole to the slow cooker, along with roughly chopped veggies, and Old El Paso Red Enchilada Sauce.
The enchilada sauce offers depth and spice without the need of measuring out various Mexican spices.
Get the Complete Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe + VIDEO Below!
How To Make Chicken Tortilla Soup in the Slow Cooker
Our Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup is a love-fest of flavor and texture you’ll want to devour again and again! Simple ingredients are cooked together all day long to create a perfectly satisfying one bowl wonder.
Here’s how to do it:
- Load the slow cooker – Place whole chicken breasts, chopped and diced vegetables, bay leaf, and Old El Paso enchilada sauce in the bottom of the crock. Season with salt and pepper
- Slow cook on LOW 8-10 hours, or HIGH 3-4 hours. I definitely recommend cooking nice and low if you can for the most tender chicken. If you do cook on high, be sure to saute your onions first before adding; otherwise, they won’t get quite soft enough.
- When ready to serve – Transfer chicken breasts to a dish and shred using two forks; return back to the slow cooker. Crumble Old El Paso tostada shells into the soup and stir to create the perfect tortilla soup texture.
Best Tortilla Soup Tips
Sprinkle with your favorite fresh toppings and you have a bowl of cozy goodness. I love serving this Chicken Tortilla Soup with ripe slices of avocado, diced tomatoes, a handful of shredded cheese, and more crumbles of tostada shells.
This soup keeps very well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days, and in the freezer for up to 3 months. Leftovers taste amazing for reheated meal prep lunches and dinners.
Need a pot of our Best Chicken Tortilla Soup in a hurry? Try our quick stovetop version!
Looking for More Savory Slow Cooker Soups?
- Slow Cooker Brunswick Stew
- Chimichurri Chicken Lentil Soup
- Tuscan Lentil Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker Guacamole Soup
- Paleo Chicken Chile Verde
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts about 1 1/2 pounds
- 2 large carrots peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 - 1 whole jalapeno seeded and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans Old El Paso Red Enchilada Sauce (10-ounce cans)
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 2 avocados
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 12 Old El Paso Tostada Shells 1 box
- Place the chicken breasts, carrots, onions, garlic, cilantro, jalapeno, bay leaf, Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce, and chicken broth in a large slow cooker. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cover and turn the slow cooker on medium to low. Slow cook for 8-10 hours.
- When ready to eat, remove the chicken breasts and shred with two forks. Place the chicken back into the soup. Then crumble 8 Old El Paso Tostada Shells into the soup and stir.
- To serve: Ladle the hot soup into bowls and garnish with more crumbled tostada shells, a sprinkle of cheese, sliced avocado, and diced fresh tomato.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Old El Paso. All opinions are my own.
Pingback: 100 Easy and Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes - Keto Mystic
Pingback: Meal Plan Monday: I Hope I Follow This One! | Full Happy Muffin and Mama: The Blog
Outstanding with the fresh ingredients
Love this! This recipe makes the perfect chicken tortilla soup! Followed receipt except for the addition of one can of Rotel tomatoes. I will definitely be making this again!
Pingback: We Plan Wednesday: August’s Menu Plan | Full Happy Muffin and Mama: The Blog
I have everything I need for this recipe. Sure look good.
It’s freezing here in Kentucky, we’ve been cooped up all week and I think I’ve cooked 200 meals in he last 10 days for my family of 6.
I told my husband he’s in charge of dinner tomorrow night (which means pizza carry-out).
BUT…. I could probably handle this recipe!
Mmmmm…this looks perfectly easy and delicious for our family’s busy weekdays!
Can you make just a broth based chicken tortilla soup in the crock pot? Or us there a reason recipes call for some type of red sauce? In this 1 enchilada sauce.
What a wonderful recipe for a delicious soup! I love the ingredients and everything else about this soup! Once again a fabulous recipe…thanks for sharing!
This is my kind of dinner. So many days my crock pot saves the day!
Josh will love this recipe… perfect for a ski day!
I love the idea of using enchilada sauce! This looks so tasty & how great that it’s so easy?!
Beautiful! And perfect for lazy winter weather. Can’t wait to try this :)
I am a slow cooking freak these days – I am all over this soup Sommer!!
After I ski today, this is my dinner!!
Looks like perfect comfort food for our wild winter weather, Sommer.
Love the simplicity and ease of this recipe!
looks delicious Sommer- perfect for a cold night!
I am buying the ingredients for this today and making it tomorrow. My family will be pinning the “Mum of the week” star to my shirt when I serve this up!
I really like how easy this is and how tasty it sounds.
Beautiful soup Sommer!! Love it!
I love the avocado slices in the picture. Nice touch!