Making amazing tortilla soup today in the crockpot! This fresh and zesty Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe is an updated version of my classic tortilla soup, perfect for setting and forgetting until dinnertime. Then… it’s completely unforgettable!
A classic Tex-Mex favorite. A true crowd pleaser. A bowl of divine comfort.
People think many things when it comes to Chicken Tortilla Soup, but they usually don’t think slow cooker. I’m not entirely sure why.
We’ve been slow cooking nearly every meal the last few weeks, so it’s no wonder I decided to turn my stovetop tortilla soup recipe into Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup.
I’ve been making chicken tortilla soup for years. In fact, one of my oldest dearest friends was converted into a cilantro-lover by my tortilla soup recipe. No lie. Before she tried it, she swore off cilantro stating it tasted like dish soap. Tortilla soup made her a believer.
It’s also a dinner my kids ask for on a regular basis. Loaded with veggies, in the soup and on top, I’m always happy to oblige.
Our Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a spin on the classic, created for prep speed and ease, with the same vibrant zesty flavors as the original.
It’s designed for the cook that wants to start dinner in the morning before leaving for work. Then come home later to a house that smells like heaven.
To make morning prep quick and easy, I added whole chicken breasts to the slow cooker, along with roughly chopped veggies, and Old El Paso Red Enchilada Sauce. The enchilada sauce offers depth and spice without the need of measuring out various Mexican spices.
After a day of slow cooking, our Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is ready for a quick second step. Simply remove the chicken breasts and shred it with a fork… It should fall apart in moments. Then add it back to the slow cooker, along with crumbled Old El Paso Tostada Shells to provide the tortilla in chicken tortilla soup!
Sprinkle with your favorite fresh toppings and you have a bowl of cozy goodness.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a love-fest of flavor and texture you’ll want to devour again and again!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:8+ hours
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 - 1 whole jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 - 10 ounce cans Old El Paso Red Enchilada Sauce
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 2 avocados
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 box Old El Paso Tostada Shells (12 count)
- Place the chicken breasts, carrots, onions, garlic, cilantro, jalapeno, bay leaf, Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce, and chicken broth in a large slow cooker. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cover and turn the slow cooker on medium to low. Slow cook for 8-10 hours.
- When ready to eat, remove the chicken breasts and shred with two forks. Place the chicken back into the soup. Then crumble 8 Old El Paso Tostada Shells into the soup and stir.
- To serve: Ladle the hot soup into bowls and garnish with more crumbled tostada shells, a sprinkle of cheese, sliced avocado, and diced fresh tomato.
Yield: 8 servings, Serving Size: 1/8th recipe
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 428 Calories
- Total Fat: 25.1g
- Saturated Fat: 8.5g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- Sodium: 921mg
- Carbohydrates: 32.7g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Sugar: 4.4g
- Protein: 17.4g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Old El Paso. All opinions are my own.