Paleo Chicken Chile Verde
Paleo Chicken Chile Verde: A lean low carb green chili recipe that fits neatly into a Whole 30 diet! It’s gluten free, grain free, dairy free… And delicious!
Welcome New Year Dieters!
Congratulations on your adventure into healthy cooking.
It’s our goal to make this season a delicious transition into clean eating!
Today I’m sharing a lighter version of our traditional New Mexican Chile Verde… My kids’ absolute favorite chili recipe.
The original recipe is made with pork and masa (corn flour) and is ultra rich. However, if you are trying to cut your caloric intake and get rid of grains, this skinny chicken chili is very similar and packed with perky flavor!
Our easy chicken chili is:
- Low carb
- Low fat
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Dairy free
- And Whole 30 friendly.
Add some sliced avocado for healthy fat and it’s ketogenic as well!
The lighter flavor profile of this Paleo Chicken Chile Verde accentuates the smoky peppers and tangy tomatillos, while still offering plenty of protein.
I love making a big pot of healthy chicken chili this time of year. The bold flavors of the steamy chili will fill your belly and calm your spirits.
Plus, this recipe is wonderful leftover for healthy lunches throughout the week.
Sometimes I pull out my biggest pot and make a double batch, so everyone in the family can take leftover Paleo Chicken Chile Verde for lunch the next day or two.
How to Make Paleo Chicken Chile Verde
- Sauté the Vegetables – With most stewed recipes, it’s important to sauté the onions, garlic, and other aromatics first to release their flavor.
- Add the chicken, spices, and broth – Once all the ingredients are in the pot, simmer the green chili to soften the vegetables and cooked the chicken.
- Shred the chicken – Remove the chicken pieces and shred them with forks.
- Puree the veggies – Once the chicken is out of the pot, puree the vegetables so the chili base is relatively smooth.
- Combine – Stir the shredded chicken back into the pot and add cilantro.
Get the Complete (Printable) Paleo Chicken Chile Verde Recipe Below
Can I Make Chile Verde in the Slow Cooker?
Oh yes! However, it’s still important to sauté the onions, peppers, and garlic on the stove top before adding them to the crockpot.
This step softens the vegetables and creates the best overall flavor and texture.
Slow cook the chicken chili for 6-8 hours on low, or 3-4 hours on high.
More Amazing Chili Recipes
Paleo Chicken Chile Verde
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 pound tomatillos
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless chicken (breasts, thighs, or both)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Possible garnishes: cilantro, avocado, lime
- Peel and wash the tomatillos so they are not sticky. Then cut the tomatillos into quarters. Prep the remaining vegetables.
- Set a large 6 quart stock pot over medium heat. Add the oil, onions, garlic, and chopped peppers. Sauté for 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatillos. Then add the whole raw chicken pieces to the pot. Add all spices and seasoning. Pour in the broth. Stir and push the chicken pieces to the bottom of the pot.
- Simmer the chili for 25-30 minutes, until the largest piece of chicken is cooked through. Use tongs to move the chicken pieces to a cutting board.
- Remove the bay leaf. Then use an immersion blender to puree the vegetables and broth base. It does not have to be totally smooth, but the chunks of tomatillos should be blended in.
- Meanwhile, use two forks to shred the chicken. Then stir the chicken shreds back into the chili.
- Taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Finally, stir in the chopped cilantro. Serve warm as-is, or with lime wedges and sliced avocado.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!