It’s Slow Cooker Week on A Spicy Perspective! Whoo-hooooooo!! All week long I’ll be sharing easy and inventive slow cooker recipes, starting with this vibrant Moroccan Slow Cooker Chicken.
Who doesn’t love coming home to a house wafting with aromatic fall flavors?
That’s the true charm of a slow cooker.
Yes, you can set it in the morning and it cuts out cook time later in the day. Yes, it’s almost impossible to burn things…
Yet the best thing about a slow cooker is the delicious aroma that overwhelms your senses as you walk in the door.
Secretly, I used to not like slow cooking. My old slow cooker (the one I got as a wedding gift) had seen better days and was completely unreliable.
So I recently replaced it with this stunning KitchenAid Slow Cooker. My new slow cooker is incredible! It has a 24 hour timer and will switch to the “warm” setting if I forget about it.
I love it so much I decided to dedicate a whole week to slow cookers!
Our first slow cooker recipe this week is Moroccan Chicken. This slow cooker chicken is a great way to get your whole family excited about chicken and vegetables.
Moroccan chicken starts with chicken thighs dusted in aromatic spices. The chicken rests on top of the veggies, dried fruit, and almonds, so that all the juices and spices drip down and work their magic below.
Today’s slow cooker chicken recipe is on #OnePotWonder alert! The spicy-sweet combination, will have your family asking for it again and again. (And you will be happy to oblige since it’s so good for them!)
I’ve got another great slow-cooked recipe over on KitchenAid’s Kitchenthusiast Blog today. Make sure to pop over and see!
Slow Cooker Chicken (Moroccan Chicken)
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:6-8 hours
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 zucchini, halved and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 6-8 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 cup dried apricots, halved
- 12 dates, halved and pitted
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tb. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Cut the onions and zucchini and place them in a slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, dried fruit, almonds and garlic. Pour the chicken broth over the top, salt and pepper to taste, and toss.
- Oil the chicken thighs and lay them over the vegetable mixture. Then mix the spices with 1/2 tsp. of salt, and sprinkle over the chicken to coat. Sprinkle any remaining spices around the edges so it works down into the vegetables.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and set the temperature. Cook on high for 3-4 hours, Or cook on low for 6-8 hours. Check at determined time, if the chicken is cooked through, scoop and serve. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
Disclosure: KitchenAid provided the slow cookers for this post and giveaway. All opinions are my own.