Slow Cooker Guacamole Soup
Slow Cooker Week continues with Creamy Guacamole Soup! This healthy avocado soup tastes indulgent with a handful of fresh tortilla chips, but will keep you light on your feet all day!
I’m always on the lookout for a great soup recipe, especially as we roll into fall.
When Lt. Dan and I first started dating, I had never met anyone who had such a zealous passion for soup. We would go out on date night and he would order soup, while I ordered salad with dinner.
Whenever he referenced a restaurant, he would always start with, “They have this killer soup….” Furthermore, anytime I asked him what he wanted me to make for lunch he would always reply, “SOUP!”
Over the years I have learned to appreciate soup with the depth and fervency he does.
Soup not only tastes good, it’s a great way to sneak veggies into the kids and warm their bellies. Soup is also a wonderful make-ahead for school lunches, tailgating, and to keep in the fridge for a quick meal when needed.
So to cap off slow cooker week, I made a luscious and spicy guacamole soup, using Wholly Avocado.
You can certainly make this soup with fresh avocados, but the beauty of Wholly Avocado is that it’s ripe at the exact moment you need it. I like to keep Wholly Avocado in my freezer, so that when I need a backup plan for the avocado I bought that looked fresh on the outside, but was gray and funky on the inside, I’ve got fresh perfectly ripe 100% smashed avocado at my fingertips!
The avocado makes this simple soup creamy and filling. So quick to make, it’s the perfect recipe to throw in a slow cooker first thing in the morning before you head out for the day.
Then when you come home, simply puree and enjoy. And the best part is, I usually have enough leftover for lunch the next day!
- 32 ounces chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 packages Wholly Avocado Peel and Serve Trays or about 3 ripe avocados, smashed
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 small habanero pepper seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice optional
- Salt and pepper
- Add the stock, avocado, onions, garlic, habanero pepper, herbs, spices and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a slow cooker. Cover and turn the slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours.
- Once thoroughly cooked, remove the bay leaf and use an immersion blender to puree the hot soup. Stir in the honey (and lime juice if desired) and taste for salt and pepper.
- Serve warm with sour cream, hot sauce and tortilla chips.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Wholly Guacamole. All opinions are my own.