Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie (With Biscuits)
Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits – This slow cooker soup version of your favorite classic Chicken Pot Pie recipe is an easy set-and-forget dinner with a quick canned biscuit topping. It’s so simple and satisfying!
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Dinner
Doesn’t life just seem even more hectic than usual these days? Schedules are packed, deadlines are due, and it feels like any spare minute is spent planning the next errand or task.
When you can’t seem to slow down, it’s definitely time to get out the slow cooker. Crock pot recipes are the best, particularly when you know you’re in for a long day and want to enjoy a home cooked dinner without much effort.
I often find that I have more quiet time, and frankly, more energy, at the beginning of the day. After working and tending to the household all day, I feel pretty drained by the time evening rolls around. To avoid the inevitable “what’re we having tonight?” dread, I turn to my trusty slow cooker first thing in the morning to set myself up for a dinnertime success.
This Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuit Topping recipe is perfect for those that like a “set-and-forget” recipe. It tastes as if you labored for hours over the stove, but really only takes a few minutes to put together… And then the slow cooker does all of the hard work!
Easy Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Chicken pot pie is one of those classic dishes that feels like a warm hug. It has a flaky crust that is golden, soft and also slightly crispy. Inside the pot pie is rich and creamy, with tender chicken and veggies. You want to get a bit of everything in each bite, and keep eating until the bowl is clean!
The delicious chicken pot pie soup filling is easy to prep in the morning and throw in the slow cooker. Then when it’s almost time for dinner, quickly bake the canned biscuit topping to place over the filling. Done!
Our Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie soup has all the best features of your favorite classic chicken pot pie and chicken and dumpling dishes. Like a terrific cross between chicken pot pie casserole and chicken pot pie soup. It’s a super comforting meal the whole family will love!
What Ingredients You Need
This Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie recipe uses frozen veggies and canned biscuits for a ridiculously easy dish. Pretty much all of the ingredients are regular pantry staples!
Here is everything needed to make the best slow cooker chicken pot pie with biscuit topping:
- All-Purpose Flour
- Chicken Base – or bouillon cubes
- Poultry Seasoning
- Chicken Breasts
- Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- Chopped Parsley
- Can of Large Biscuits
Of course, if you’re feeling up to it you can bake biscuits from scratch. Try making our Fluffy Southern Cathead Biscuits while you let the crock pot work its magic, and just top each bowl with a biscuit when ready to serve.
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuit Topping
Start this dish in the morning or afternoon in just a few easy steps, and you’ll have the most delicious Chicken Pot Pie by dinnertime!
Here’s how to make homemade Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie with a Biscuit Topping:
- First, set a large skillet over medium heat, and add the butter. Once the butter has melted, whisk in the flour until smooth to make a roux. Continue whisking and cook the roux for a few minutes until it’s golden.
- Then stir in the onions and cook until soft. Whisk in the water, chicken base, and poultry seasoning. Keep whisking and simmering to form a gravy.
- Set out a large 6+ quart slow cooker. Carefully pour the gravy into the slow cooker. Add the diced chicken, frozen mixed vegetables, and chopped parsley, and stir well.
- Cover the crock pot and set on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 6-7 hours.
- About 30 minutes to dinner time, make the biscuit topping. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees (or the temperature listed on the can of biscuits.) Use kitchen shears to snip 5 biscuits into 8 pieces each. Spread the pieces out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake the biscuits for several minutes until golden brown.
- Once the biscuit pieces are puffy and golden, stir the chicken pot pie filling in the crock pot and place the biscuit topping evenly over the filling.
- Ladle the slow cooker chicken pot pie into bowls, including a few pieces of the biscuit topping in each portion. Sprinkle on a bit more fresh chopped parsley and serve warm.
If you know that you’ll have leftovers, keep portions of the biscuit pieces to the side and store them separately from the filling. Both the chicken pot pie filling and biscuits will keep well for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Get the Complete Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie (with Biscuit Topping) Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does This Recipe Last In The Fridge?
Keep portions of the biscuit pieces to the side and store separately from the filling. Both the chicken pot pie filling and biscuits will keep well for up to 3 days in the fridge when stored in an airtight container.
Can I Make It Creamier With Heavy Cream?
Yes, you can add heavy cream… I’d start with about 1/2 cup.
How Can I Make Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie with a Pastry Crust?
Missing the pastry top? You can skip the canned biscuits if you like. Instead, lay a refrigerated roll-out pie crust on a baking sheet. Use a pizza cutter to cut the pie crust into 1-inch diamonds. Then bake according to the package instructions. When ready to serve, sprinkle the pie crust pieces over the top of the chicken pot pie filling.
LOOKING FOR MORE SLOW COOKER RECIPES?
- Slow Cooker Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- Mom’s Best Beef Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Chicken and Potatoes
- Crock Pot Pork Loin with Vegetables
- Slow Cooker Chili Mac and Cheese
Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie (With Biscuits)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ cups water
- 5 teaspoons chicken base or 5 bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts diced
- 3 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, corn and green beans)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 can large biscuits (about 5 biscuits needed)
- Set a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter. Once melted, whisk in the flour until smooth. Whisk and cook the roux for 2-3 minutes, until golden.
- Then stir in the onions. Cook the onions 2-3 minutes, until soft. Then whisk in the water, chicken base, and poultry seasoning. Simmer 2-3 minutes to form a gravy.
- Set out a large 6+ quart slow cooker. Pour the gravy into the slow cooker. Add the diced chicken, mixed vegetables, and parsley. Stir well.
- Cover the crock and set on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 6-7 hours.
- Close to dinner time, preheat the oven to 425 degrees (or the temperature listed on the can of biscuits.) Use kitchen shears to snip 5 biscuits into 8 pieces. Spread the pieces out on a baking sheet. Bake for 11-12 minutes, or until golden.
- Once the biscuit pieces are puffy and golden, stir the chicken pot filling and sprinkle the biscuit topping over the filling. Serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!