Slow Cooker Shepherds Pie Recipe
Rich savory shepherds pie in the crockpot! Today’s Slow Cooker Shepherds Pie Recipe offers all the comfort of a classic shepherd pie recipe, yet can simmer all day while you are working away.
To me, Saint Patrick’s Day signifies the beginning of spring. Here in the Blue Ridge, we usually see fresh green buds making their first appearance around that time… and I’ve worn short sleeves at least a time or two by March 17th as well.
Even though these are small accomplishments (if they can be called accomplishments at all) I always feel I have extra cause to celebrate on Saint Paddy’s Day.
Lt. Dan and I have a standing lunch date on Saint Patrick’s Day at a local Irish Pub.
We’ve held our lunch date tradition for close to 20 years. We nibble on corned beef and cabbage and laugh about Saint Paddy’s Day memories from the past. Then we come home and cook a hearty Irish inspired dinner for the whole family.
Shepherds Pie is a classic Irish dish I can never get enough of.
I’ll admit, the traditional cooking method can seem daunting, because there are numerous steps and ingredients. However, our Slow Cooker Shepherds Pie Recipe cuts out quite a few steps, letting you “set and forget” dinner until much later in the day.
When making Slow Cooker Shepherds Pie Recipe, I combine all the “stew” ingredients in a crockpot. Substituting dark robust Guinness Beer for the wine or broth in most recipes, provides rich depth and Irish appeal.
I top the stew with pre-made mashed potatoes. Usually I reserve some mashed potatoes from a meal earlier in the week, so I don’t have to make them before layering the shepherds pie. Yet in a pinch, good quality store-bought mashed potatoes will do the trick.
The most important step in this Slow Cooker Shepherds Pie Recipe is to place a long sheet of paper towel over the slow cooker before covering with the lid. The paper towel absorbs most of the condensation from the lid and keeps the potatoes from getting runny.
When we’re ready to eat, I sprinkle sharp cheddar or Dubliner cheese over the top of the potatoes, and let it melt.
Each hearty spoonful of our Slow Cooker Shepherds Pie Recipe is pure Irish bliss!
Our Slow Cooker Shepherds Pie Recipe with Guinness is perfect to serve on Saint Patrick’s Day this year. I’d bet after trying it once, it will become a new tradition in your family!
More Irish Inspired Favorites
Oven Baked Scotch Eggs – Edible Ireland
Irish Coffee Cheesecake – Buttercream Blondie
Slow Cooker Shepherds Pie Recipe
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds beef chuck roast or "stew meat"
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 3 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup Guinness Beer
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon beef base
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 cups mashed potatoes homemade or store-bought
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar or Dubliner cheese
- Place the chopped onions in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Soften for 5-6 minutes. Meanwhile cut the beef into small bite-size pieces.
- Pour the hot onions, beef, and all remaining ingredients, excluding the mashed potatoes and cheese, into a 6-quart slow cooker. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and stir well. Wipe down the sides of the slow cooker with a dry paper towel. Then spread the mashed potatoes over the top of the beef mixture all the way to the edges of the crock to seal in the ingredients below.
- Place a long piece of paper towel over the slow cooker to absorb the steam, and cover with the lid. Turn on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 8-10 hours.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle the cheese over the top of the potatoes and place the lid back on for 5 minutes to melt the cheese. Serve hot and garnish with extra herbs if you have them.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!