Irish Boxty Potato Pancake Recipe
Irish Boxty Potato Pancake Recipe with Mushrooms and Whiskey Gravy! Many cultures offer potato pancakes, but the Irish Boxty is a true favorite!
Irish Boxty Recipe
Saint Patrick’s Day is just around the corner. Time to pull out your favorite Irish recipes!
We have certain traditions we keep for St. Paddy’s Day, our favorite being a lunch date at an irish pub.
Every year we venture out, covered in green and Notre Dame attire, to enjoy a hearty dose of celtic cheer and our favorite Irish dishes. We even take the kids on the years that St. Paddy’s Day is on the weekend.
Yes, I’m one of those parents who takes children into pubs. But only on special occasions… and if they have a good root beer on tap. *wink*
Instagram Shot from last year… not sure who the photo-bombers are!
One of our most loved Irish dishes is the boxty. These potato pancakes are moist and tender on the inside, yet ultra crispy on the outside.
A boxty is a wonderful platform for your favorite fillings and can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner. These potato pancakes are crispy, yet pliable, and packed with flavor.
I like to serve them with earthy sautéed mushrooms, then slather them with a rich whiskey gravy. The combination of the crisp buttery boxty crust and the soft mushrooms is something to experience. Kissed with Irish whiskey gravy, boxties are a meal that could stand up to any stout beer.
Potato Pancake Recipe – Irish Style!
The potato pancakes are easy to make. Simply mix hash brown potatoes with eggs, cream, parmesan cheese, flour and chive.
Then while the potato pancakes are frying, sauté some mushrooms with a little thyme and sherry.
Fill each boxty with mushrooms and whisk up a quick irish whisky gravy to pour over the top!
I wait all year for boxty potato pancakes. But really, these babies could be served any time.
More Irish Recipe Favorites
- Irish Pub Cheese
- Irish Cabbage and Bacon
- Irish Soda Bread Muffins
- Instant Pot Corned Beef Irish Stew
- Beer Cheese Soup
Irish Boxty Potato Pancakes Recipe
For the Potato Pancakes:
- 3 cups frozen hash browns thawed and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup all purpose Gold Medal Flour
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped chive
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Butter for frying
For the Sauteed Mushrooms:
- 1 pound mushrooms button or crimini, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup sherry
- Chop all the herbs and veggies and set aside. Place two skillets over medium heat. Mix all the ingredients for the potato pancakes, along with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper.
- In one skillet, add 2 tablespoons butter, followed by the mushrooms, garlic and thyme. Stir and allow the mushrooms to often a bit, then salt and pepper to taste, and the sherry. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the sherry in completely adsorbed and the mushrooms start to caramelized.
- Meanwhile place a small pat of butter in the second skillet. Swirl the melted butter around, then add 1/2 cup potato batter. Cook until the bottom is gold and the sides are firm. Then flip and continue cooking, 2-4 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Once the boxties are finished cooking, add 2 tablespoons each of butter and flour to the same skillet. Whisk and bubble for 1-2 minutes, then add the Irish whiskey, stock and mustard. Continue whisking the gravy until your desired consistency is reached. Salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve: Place one boxty on each plate. Evenly distribute the sautéed mushrooms on top of each boxty and fold over. Pour warm gravy over the potato pancakes and serve immediately.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!