Irish Cabbage and Bacon Recipe – Made with only 5 ingredients! Make this tantalizing side dish for Saint Patrick’s Day, or for dinner any night of the week!
The humble cabbage… Often thought of as bland and boring.
Well, there’s nothing boring about today’s Irish Cabbage and Bacon.
This recipe is packed with rich comforting goodness!
I don’t know why cabbage gets such a bad wrap.
It has a lovely mild flavor that is complemented by sweetness like in coleslaw, spice like in kimchi, and rich fatty ingredients like bacon, butter, or nuts.
Although cabbage can be tough when raw, it turns silky and soft once cooked, giving chopped cabbage a noodle-like quality.
Today’s Irish Cabbage and Bacon is a classic Irish dish usually made with large slabs of bacon (pork belly) boiled down into a rich fatty broth that the cabbage is later stewed in.
As I’m not Irish, I have a hard time swallowing the idea of boiling bacon in water.
Instead, I decided to make a quickie version, using the same ingredients, but a slightly different cooking method.
My Irish Cabbage and Bacon is made with only 5 simple ingredients:
- Chicken Broth
- Mustard Seeds
How To Make Irish Cabbage and Bacon
- I started by sautéing the bacon until almost crispy.
- Then I added onion to the bacon grease for flavor, and let in soften.
- Finally, I added roughly chopped cabbage, a little broth, and mustard seeds.
The broth helps the cabbage cook down into silky strands.
The bacon softens along with the cabbage, creating a luxuriously decadent dish from humble beginnings.
Although you can serve Irish Cabbage with Bacon as a side dish with corned beef, proportionally there is a lot of bacon in this recipe.
Enough bacon to make it a main dish in my opinion.
In Ireland, it’s often served as the main course with mustard and boiled potatoes.
See The Recipe Card Below For How To Make Irish Cabbage with Bacon. Enjoy!
Other Easy Irish Recipes You Might Like:
- Irish Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Beer Cheese Soup
- Irish Potato Pie
- Irish Pub Cheese
- Bangers and Mash
- Irish Soda Bread
Irish Cabbage and Bacon
This traditional Irish Cabbage and Bacon Recipe is made with only 5 ingredients! Make this tantalizing side dish for Saint Patrick's Day or for any dinner!
Place a large stockpot over medium heat. Cut the bacon strips into 4 pieces each. Separate the bacon pieces and place in the pot. Stir and sizzle until the bacon is cooked, but not fully crispy.
- Meanwhile, peel the onion and cut it into 8 wedges. Then cut the cabbage in half and remove the core. Cut the cabbage into 12 wedges. Once the bacon is mostly cooked, add the onion to the pot and sauté for 3-4 minutes to soften.
- Add the cabbage, chicken broth, and mustard seeds. Stir to move the cabbage to the bottom of the pot and bring the bacon upward. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the thickest parts of the cabbage are tender. Stir once or twice while cooking. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Serve with whole grain mustard on the side, if desired.