Healthy Crockpot Potato Soup with Chicken – a thick, creamy, and seemingly sinful potato soup recipe with chunks of chicken breast and lots of vegetables.
Potato Soup with Chicken Recipe
Potato Soup with Chicken is so comforting, and this healthy slow cooker soup recipe is so tasty too. Don’t you love meals that feel and taste super naughty, but aren’t?
Potato soup has always been one of my favorite soups for fall and winter. It’s a hearty, low cost, family-friendly dish my mother turned into an art form over the years. Making it always reminds me of her.
We ate potato soup often during my childhood. It always made the house smell deliciously welcoming.
Crockpot Potato Soup
I’ve remade my mom’s potato soup many times over the years. It never ceases to amaze me how simple it is. It’s also easy to adjust for personal taste and for health.
Yes, chicken and potato soup is a carb-based dish. Yet it can still be made as a low fat dinner, loaded with vitamins and minerals!
Healthy Crockpot Potato Soup Recipe
Today I’m sharing my Healthy Crockpot Potato Soup with Chicken, a variation of my mom’s soup.
This healthy slow cooker soup recipe is dairy free, gluten free, low fat (especially if you use turkey bacon), and packed with protein and veggies!
You can make this Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Potato Soup either in a crockpot as directed, or on the stovetop if you are short on time.
Either way, you end up with a lovely rustic, yet silky, texture and a spectacular savory flavor.
Easy Crockpot Potato Soup
This is an easy and long slow cooker recipe.
It takes a lot of time for the potatoes to break down and thicken the broth in a crock pot. That means you really can leave this chicken potato soup in the crockpot bubbling all day, even up to 12 hours. Then come home to a wafting bacon and herb aroma that will make you smile!
On the flip side, the stovetop version takes less than an hour.
That makes our Healthy Crockpot Potato Soup with Chicken versatile enough for any night of the week.
I think mom would approve of my adjusted Healthy Crockpot Potato Soup with Chicken. And I think you will too!
Watch the Video & Check the Recipe Card to Learn How to Make Healthy Crockpot Potato Soup with Chicken!
Looking for more chicken soup recipes? Try some of our favorites:
- Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup
- Chicken Detox Soup
Healthy Crockpot Potato Soup with Chicken
Healthy Crockpot Potato Soup with Chicken - a thick, creamy, and seemingly sinful potato soup recipe with chunks of chicken breast and lots of vegetables.
- 4 slices bacon chopped (could be low fat turkey bacon)
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cup sliced celery
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Place a skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until brown, then add in the onions and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes to soften. (If using turkey bacon, cook in a nonstick skillet.) Pour the onions mixture into the crock of a large 6 quart slow cooker.
- Place the chicken breast on top of the onions. Add the sliced potatoes, carrots, celery, chicken broth, thyme, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker. Turn on high and cook for 8-12 hours, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are extremely soft. (Check the chicken at 7 hours. If it's cooked through, you can remove the chicken and refrigerate it until the potatoes are tender and breaking apart. If you happen to have a slow cooker, you do not want to overcook the chicken.)
Remove the chicken breast from the crock. Stir the potato soup vigorously to break up the potatoes and thicken the broth. (You can make it extra creamy by partially pureeing the soup with an immersion blender. Or place 1 1/2 cups of the soup in a regular blender, puree, then stir back into the soup.)
Shred or chop the chicken and add it back to the slow cooker along with fresh parsley. Stir well. Serve warm topped with low fat cheese if desired!
Want To Intensify The Flavor? This soup recipe is meant to be a lean soup with light balanced flavor. You can kick up the zest by adding 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon (as well as the chicken broth) 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning, and 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper. (Reduce the salt by half.)
Stovetop Instructions: This recipe is great on the stovetop as well! Brown the bacon, onions, and garlic as directed above in a large sauce pot. In step 2, add the remaining ingredients to the pot. However, increase the broth to 12 cups, and lower the salt to 1 teaspoon. Simmer on medium until the chicken has cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside. Continue simmering, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are extremely soft and thicken the broth, 30-40 minutes total. Then move on to step 3.