Smoked Cheese Dip (Spread) with Sour Cream
The Best Smoked Cheese Dip – Cheddar and gouda cheeses are blended with sour cream for a smoky, tangy, utterly addictive dip or condiment. This is perfect to serve at parties and enjoy as a savory spread!
Nothing brings people together at a party like a spread of tantalizing party snacks. Ooo-ing and aaah-ing over finger foods is the ultimate ice breaker.
This smoked gouda and cheddar cheese dip with sour cream is sure to have your guests chatting like old friends in no time!
Not only is it super yummy, but our EASY no-cook homemade cheese dip is also a snap to make in only 5 minutes. So it is the perfect last-minute and nearly effortless party recipe.
You definitely want to put this one on your must-make holiday party menu!
Smoked Cheese and Sour Cream Dip (or Spread!)
The smoky notes come from using both smoked cheddar and smoked gouda, pureed into sour cream, to make it easy to spread. A touch of sugar is added to balance out the strong smoky, nutty, salty, tangy qualities.
It tastes amazing with all sorts of dippers, like crackers and veggies. But the fun doesn’t stop there! This versatile dip doubles as a spread on sandwiches and in wraps, and even makes a deliciously unique pizza or flatbread topper.
Ingredients You Need
- Smoked cheddar cheese and Smoked gouda cheese – together create a perfectly savory, smoky flavor
- Sour cream – for just the right hint of tanginess and creamy texture
- Granulated sugar – balances the sweetness of the strong cheeses and sour cream
- Seasonings – garlic powder and crushed red pepper
How to Make Sour Cream Dip with Cheese
First, set out a large food processor. Cut the cheddar and gouda cheese blocks into chunks, then place them in the food processor.
Lock the lid into place and pulse a few times to break the cheese chunks into fine crumbs.
Next add in the sour cream, 1 tablespoon of sugar, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper. Puree until the cheese dip is completely smooth.
Taste, then add another tablespoon of sugar if desired, and puree again.
Pro Tip: If your food processor has a low-power motor, shred the cheeses (by hand or with a food processor attachment) before pureeing.
Get the Complete (Printable) Smoked Cheddar and Gouda Cheese Dip Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Scoop the smoked cheese dip into a bowl and serve, or cover and refrigerate and enjoy within one week.
For an extra kick of spice, sprinkle on another pinch of crushed red pepper before serving.
Pair this smoky and creamy goodness with your favorite dippers! It is delicious with thin slices of crunchy bread, crackers, pretzels, or chips. Add some freshness to the party and serve with crunchy cut vegetables like carrots, cucumbers, celery, and/or pieces of bell pepper.
Smoked Cheese and Sour Cream Spread
The thick and creamy texture also makes for a delightful and versatile smoked cheese spread!
Add to sandwiches, wraps, or burgers for a bold bite of tangy flavor. It also is fantastic as a topper on homemade or delivery pizzas!
- We love the classic flavor combination of smoked cheddar and gouda. However, feel free to use other hard cheeses you like! Firm smoked mozzarella, Parmesan, and provolone are all great options.
- Swap the sour cream with Greek yogurt for a slightly lighter version.
- You can omit the crushed red pepper if you prefer.
- Get creative and add other extra goodies! Stir in your choice of chopped cooked bacon, sliced green scallions, and chopped red onions after the recipe ingredients are pureed.
Looking for More Party Pleasers? You’ve Got to Try These Recipes:
- Smoked Salmon Dip
- Homemade Cheese Spread
- 3-Ingredient Magic Taco Dip
- Stovetop Jalapeno Popper Dip
- Hot Smoked Pimento Cheese Dip
Smoked Cheese Dip (Spread) with Sour Cream Recipe + VIDEO
- Set out a large food processor. Cut the cheddar and gouda cheese blocks into chunks, then place in the food processor. Lock the lid into place and pulse to break the cheese chunks into fine crumbs.
- Add in the sour cream, 1 tablespoon of sugar, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper. Purée until the cheese dip is completely smooth. Taste, then add another tablespoon of sugar if desired.
- Scoop the smoked cheese dip into a bowl and serve with bread, crackers, or cut vegetables. Or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!