Irresistible Dill Dip
Why We Love This Easy Dip Recipe
This simple sour cream and herb dip is the talk of the table every time I make it. It’s fabulous year-round, but I love to serve it during the holidays with vegetable crudites, baguette slices, or potato chips for a quick appetizer with fresh zesty flavor.
This versatile dip has a creamy texture and refreshing flavor profile. Made with sour cream or greek yogurt, this dip is infused with freshly chopped dill, tangy lemon juice, and some additional spices for a zesty and herbaceous concoction!
My creamy Dill Dip recipe is a snap to whip up in 10 minutes, and uses only a handful of simple ingredients. And even though it’s quick and easy, the dip is great to make ahead!
Ingredients You Need
- Sour cream – or plain greek yogurt
- Mayonnaise – regular or low fat
- Fresh dill weed – rinsed and patted dry (in a pinch you can use dried dill weed)
- Lemon – zest and juice
- Spices – garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper
How to Make the Best Sour Cream Dill Dip
Check out how easy this 3 step dill dip recipe is to make!
- Set out a medium mixing bowl. Chop the fresh dill.
- Zest one lemon making sure to only gather the yellow zest, not the white rind below. You should have 1 ½ – 2 teaspoons of lemon zest from one fresh lemon.
Get the Complete (Printable) Sour Cream Dill Dip Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
- Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, fresh chopped dill, lemon zest, garlic powder, onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and a 1/4 teaspoon of cracked black pepper. Mix well to combine. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
Then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Spoon the dip into a bowl and serve with potato chips, baguette slices, crackers, pretzels, and/or veggies. We love classics like carrot sticks or baby carrots, cherry or grape tomatoes, celery sticks, and cucumber slices! Or go all out with a “fancy” vegetable crudites spread and serve with asparagus spears, zucchini slices, bell peppers, or other seasonal veg you like.
Sour cream dill dip is also delicious to smear on sandwiches and wraps! You can even use it on baked potatoes, or use it as a sub for plain sour cream on nearly any dish. Try serving it on the side with some of my favorites:
- Greek Chicken Souvlaki
- Lemon Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Cornmeal Fried Fish
- Ultimate Chicken Wrap
- Chicken Shawarma Wrap
Tips & Variations
- Want extra dill flavor? Add finely diced dill pickles too, for a slight crunch and extra flavor!
- If you are using dried dill instead of fresh, start with about half of the dill that this recipe calls for, and then add more to taste!
- When serving this easy dill dip recipe at a party, make sure it only stays out of the fridge for a few hours! Mayo should not stay at room temperature for more than a few hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
What other fresh herbs can you use?
This dill dip recipe is great as the base for any herby sour cream dip! Feel free to use other fresh chopped herbs you like… fresh parsley, cilantro, chives, basil, and tarragon are all great options.
How do you spice up sour cream?
Add a dash of your favorite spices, depending on which herbs you use. You can add dried herbs like dried parsley in addition to the dill. You can also jazz up classic dill dip with lemon pepper seasoning, or add cayenne to creamy cilantro dip.
What vegetables go well with dill?
A large plethora of vegetables go well with dill! Cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and carrots are some of my favorites. This combination makes a great vegetable tray with the easy dill dip! But dill dip is amazing on cooked vegetables too like potatoes, broccoli, green beans, and asparagus!
How long does homemade dill dip last?
Keep it in a sealed container and store it in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Can you freeze sour cream dip?
No, you definitely should not try to freeze. Sour cream does not do well when frozen and then thawed.
Looking for More Easy Dips and Spreads Recipes? Be Sure to Also Try:
- Crockpot Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Smoked Cheese Dip with Sour Cream
- The Best Queso Recipe
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- Retro Cream Cheese Fruit Dip
Irresistible Dill Dip Recipe + VIDEO
- Set out a medium mixing bowl. Zest one lemon making sure to only gather the yellow zest, not the white rind below. You should have 1 ½ – 2 teaspoons of lemon zest from one fresh lemon.
- Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, fresh chopped dill, lemon zest, garlic powder, onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a 1/4 teaspoon of cracked black pepper. Mix well to combine. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.