Amazing Chipped Beef Dip
Retro Chipped Beef Dip Recipe
Chances are, if you are under the age of 30, you may not have ever tasted, or heard of, Chipped Beef Dip. This was an old-school recipe when I was a kid, and I’m in my forties.
As a child, this creamy dip that packs a punch was at neighborhood gatherings, football parties, and holiday festivities.
Then it seemingly disappeared. You know why?
The low fat era hit!
Yet over the years, it’s been slowly making a comeback. Rightfully so.
This ultra decadent and savory dip is chockfull of bits of dried beef, scallions, pickled jalapenos, and zesty herbs. It’s the perfect party snack!
What Is Chipped Beef?
If you’ve never heard of Chipped Beef Dip, you have probably never heard of chipped beef.
Chipped Beef: Beef and that has been salted, pressed, dried, and sliced thin. It’s often called dried beef or Buddig beef. (Buddig is one of the most popular brands.)
Since it’s dried, it is not usually found in the deli section of the grocery store. Instead, dried beef is sold in jars or pouches found near the canned tuna and chicken.
Historically, chipped beef is used as a convenient form of protein when fresh meat is not available. You can use it in dips, soups, stews, or gravy.
It provides a bold savory beefy flavor and a bit of salt. Therefore, when you use chipped beef, you should reduce the amount of salt you add to the recipe.
Dried Beef Dip Recipe Ingredients
- Cream Cheese – Some dried beef dip recipes call for a smaller amount of cream cheese and more sour cream. Yet, I prefer a thick spreadable dip, so my recipe is heavy on the cream cheese.
- Sour Cream – This is used to thin out the cream cheese just a little, and offer an extra tangy flavor.
- Chipped Beef – Packaged dried beef found near the canned meats. Chop it into tiny pieces.
- Green Onions – Scallions, fresh chopped for a zesty note.
- Pickled Jalapeno – Chop them into small pieces for a little bit of heat in every bite! You can use mild or hot pickled jalapenos. Even though you will drain off the juices, this also thins the dip out a little.
- Dill – Fresh is best! However, if you can’t find fresh dill, use 1 teaspoon dried dill instead.
- Worcestershire Sauce – This provides depth and a little extra salt. Therefore, there’s no need to add any table salt to this recipe.
- Garlic Powder – Because everything tastes better with a little touch of garlicy goodness!
How To Make Chipped Beef Dip
- Smush. Place the cream cheese and sour cream in a medium mixing bowl. Add the Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder and mix until very smooth. Make sure to SMUSH all the clumps of cream cheese.
- Chop. Chop the dried beef into tiny pieces. Then chop the scallions, pickled jalapenos, and dill.
- Mix. Use a spatula to mix the dried beef, scallions, jalapenos, and dill into the cream cheese mixture. Done!
Get the Full (Printable) Best Chipped Beef Dip Recipe & VIDEO Below!
Can You Make A Hot Chipped Beef Dip Recipe?
Absolutely! I prefer cold chipped beef dip, but if you heat it up, it’s ultra saucy and creamy! Also, the flavors are a little more pronounced.
Honestly, you should try dried beef dip both ways and decide for yourself, which you like best.
To heat, place the beef dip in a small baking dish and pop it in the oven at 350 degrees F. Bake until bubbly, about 15 minutes.
You can also garnish the top with shredded cheese if you like!
Is Dried Beef Dip Gluten-Free?
Yes! As long as the brand of dried beef and Worcestershire sauce you buy are gluten-free, the whole recipe is gluten-free!
Most brands are, but check the ingredients just in case.
Then, of course, serve it with gluten-free crackers!
Is Chipped Beef Dip Low Carb?
Yes! If you serve it with low carb dippers like Keto Crackers or fresh-cut vegetables, it is low carb and keto-friendly.
Can You Freeze Dried Beef Dip?
I wouldn’t. It will affect its fresh perky flavor.
However, you can make it up to a week in advance and refrigerate it in an airtight container.
More Dazzling Dip Recipes
- King Ranch Chicken Dip
- Homemade Salsa Al Pastor
- Fresh Mango Guacamole
- Irish Pub Cheese
- Smoked Salmon Dip
- Bacon-Wrapped Brie in Puff Pastry
- Pumpkin Spice Dip with Cinnamon Chips
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Amazing Chipped Beef Dip Recipe
- Place the softened cream cheese and sour cream in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder and mix until very smooth. (Make sure there are no clumps of cream cheese left.)
- Chop the dried beef into scant pieces. Then chop the green onions, jalapenos, and dill. Mix the dried beef, green onions, jalapenos, and dill into the cream cheese mixture.
- Chill until ready to serve. Serve with toasted baguette slices, butter crackers, or fresh cut vegetables.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!