Sausage and Kale Soup
Hearty Kale Soup
Sausage and Kale Soup is a greedy kind of soup, as all good soups should be.
It isn’t satisfied until all the right ingredients are incorporated…
Onions and garlic for depth of flavor. Not enough.
Sausage for zesty meaty goodness. Keep it coming.
Kale and potatoes for contrasting textures. Closer, but not quite there.
Wine, parmesan and crushed red pepper for body and complexity. Almost.
A splash of cream for silky spoonfuls. Finally.
Cozy Mid-Week Dinner
This Sausage and Kale Soup, dear friends, is serious soup. Stout soup. Generous soup.
Sausage and Kale Soup is a cozy mid-week dinner your family will love.
It’s filled to the brim with hearty flavors that are impossible to resist once mingled together.
The aroma, intoxicating.
The taste, comforting.
The overall experience, healing.
After all, a single note soup isn’t really a soup at all.
It’s a broth concoction, or a simple sauce at the very most.
Is This Zuppa Toscana or Tuscan Soup?
Our Tuscan Soup Recipe is very similar to Olive Garden’s famous Zuppa Toscana. However, this version is a lighter leaner.
We’ve reduced the pork fat and the cream. Therefore, you get all the flavor with around half the fat and calories!
Sausage Kale Soup Ingredients
- Olive Oil – To help saute the onion and garlic
- Large Onion – this recipe uses the onion diced.
- Garlic Cloves
- Ground Pork Sausage
- Small New Potatoes – Slice into thin circles like you would for a potato chip
- Bunch of Kale – trimmed and chopped while also removing the stems
- Chicken Stock – The main base of the soup
- Dry White Wine
- Crushed Red Pepper – Brings a nice spice to the soup
- Heavy Cream
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper – Season to taste
How To Make Sausage and Kale Soup
- Heat a large saucepot on the stove and then add in the oil, onions, and garlic. Saute the aromatics in the pot for 2 to 3 minutes. Then add in the sausage.
- Brown the sausage in with the onions and garlic and break it apart into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Then, after the sausage is browned, add the potato slices, kale, chicken stock, wine, and crushed pepper to the pot and stir it all together.
- Bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender. You can lower the heat if needed.
- When you are ready to serve this soup, add in the heavy cream and parmesan cheese.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
Get our Full (Printable) Sausage and Kale Soup Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does this soup last?
This recipe can last in the fridge for up to a week if it is stored in an airtight container. Make sure to place it in the back of the refrigerator so it stays very cold.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes and no. If you want to make this ahead, it will freeze best if there is no cream in the soup. You can leave out the cream, then add it in after thawing and reheating. If there is already cream in the soup, freezing it will end up giving the soup a slightly grainy texture.
Can I omit the sausage to make this vegetarian?
Yes, you can. Although that would also omit a certain richness that makes this dish so flavorful. Consider adding vegan sausage to the recipe, instead of skipping it altogether.
Other Great Soup Options
- Crockpot Brunswick Stew Recipe
- Low Carb Vietnamese Pho Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Soup Recipe
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Zesty Wor Wonton Soup Recipe
- Rustic Vegan White Bean and Kale Soup Recipe
Sausage and Kale Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 pound small new potatoes, sliced into thin circles
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and chopped (remove stems)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a large sauce pot over medium heat and add the oil, onions, and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, then add the sausage to the pot. Brown the sausage and break it apart with a wooden spoon into small pieces.
- Once the sausage is brown, add the potato slices, chopped kale, chicken stock, wine, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat if needed, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- When ready to serve, stir in the cream and parmesan cheese. Then taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!