Rustic (Vegan) White Bean and Kale Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Rustic (Vegan) White Bean and Kale Soup – A nourishing, healthy and hearty vegan soup recipe that’s also gluten-free and great for making as a keto or paleo dish.
We love rich and indulgent dishes, particularly around the holidays. You might have noticed that sweet and savory, cheesy, meaty recipes are kinda my thing. *wink*
However, all of that winter hibernation goodness can lead to some not-so-great feeling tummies. So we usually like to take a little break and kick off the new year with a lighter, healthier detox soup…
What is a detox soup? While there are many different ideas and versions of what constitutes as a truly detoxifying dish – depending on whether you adhere to a paleo, keto, vegan, gluten-free, or Whole 30 diet, for example – a detox soup typically features wholesome and non-processed ingredients that are incredibly nourishing.
And it doesn’t get much more healthful, nourishing, and wonderfully comforting than this Rustic White Bean and Kale Soup recipe. It’s a vegan-friendly plant-based detox soup that is packed with hearty veggies, and perfect for making to suit nearly any dietary needs!
Rustic White Bean and Kale Vegan Soup
As-is, this vegan soup recipe is a delicious gluten-free option to make for a quick weeknight meal or as part of a relaxing Sunday dinner. It’s a one-pot wonder that’s ready in less than an hour, including prep time.
Plus, it’s great for customizing with whatever veggies are available and using up the last of your fresh winter vegetables.
Simply adjust the suggested ingredients to your liking, and to fit your preferred dietary needs. This kale soup can be made with or without the beans, so it can also fit within a Paleo or Whole 30 diet!
What Ingredients You Need
Our easy White Bean and Kale detox soup recipe includes a great combination of fresh ingredients and pantry staples.
To make this recipe you’ll need:
- Olive oil – or preferred oil for sautéing
- Sweet onion – peeled and chopped
- Celery – sliced
- Carrots – sliced into rounds
- Garlic – finely minced
- Fresh rosemary – chopped, or subbed with dried rosemary
- Fresh thyme – chopped, or subbed with dried thyme
- Fresh dill – chopped, or subbed with dried dill
- Crushed red pepper – use more or less than suggested in the recipe, depending on how much spiciness you like
- Vegetable broth – or mushroom broth
- Canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- Can of white beans – rinsed and drained
- Fresh kale – stems removed, chopped
- Small broccoli florets – fresh or frozen
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
But again, feel free to omit or substitute ingredients as you like or have available. For instance, you can swap the kale for spinach, add corn kernels, or add cauliflower florets in place of or addition to the broccoli.
How to Make Vegan White Bean and Kale Soup
The most effort this recipe requires is prepping the fresh veggies, which you can do up to a day or so beforehand if you like! Simply store your diced and sliced produce in airtight containers in the fridge until ready to use.
To make this easy vegan detox soup recipe, start by setting a large 6-8 quart sauce pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, chopped onions, celery, carrots, garlic, fresh herbs, crushed red pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt. Sauté for a few minutes to soften the veggies, stirring occasionally.
Next add the vegetable broth, diced canned tomatoes, and drained and rinsed white beans. Bring to a boil before lowering the heat to a simmer, and allow the soup to simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
Then stir in the chopped kale and broccoli florets. If using frozen broccoli you might need to raise the temperature again for a minute to bring back to a simmer. Continue simmering the soup for a few more minutes; and lastly, stir in the lemon juice.
Get the Complete (Printable) Rustic Vegan White Bean Soup Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Taste, then salt and pepper if needed. Serve the White Bean and Kale soup hot with a fresh green salad and/or The Best Cloud Bread (keto and gluten-free!)
Can I Make this a Keto or Paleo-Friendly Soup Recipe?
Want to make a version of this healthy detox soup that’s Keto, but not Vegan or Paleo?
You can omit the beans and add in shredded chicken or cooked chicken sausage.
How Long Will White Bean and Kale Soup Keep?
Stored in an airtight container this vegan soup will keep well for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
If you do include cooked chicken, then leftovers will keep well for up to 3 days in the fridge.
This is an excellent make-ahead recipe for freezing too! Simply allow the soup to cool completely before transferring to a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Looking for More Hearty and Healthy Soup Recipes?
- Chicken Detox Soup
- Southwest Detox Soup
- Sausage and Kale Soup
- Tomato Potato White Bean Soup
- Vegan Creamy Golden Vegetable Soup
- Vegetarian Navy Bean Soup
Rustic (Vegan) White Bean and Kale Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion peeled and chopped
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 5-6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill 1 teaspoon dried
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 28 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce can white beans rinsed and drained
- 6+ cups chopped kale from 1 bunch, stems removed
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 lemon juiced
- Salt and pepper
- Set a large 6-8 quart saucepot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, chopped onions, celery, carrots, garlic, fresh herbs, crushed red pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt. Sauté to soften for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, and white beans. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat, if needed, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped kale and broccoli florets. Simmer another 5-8 minutes. Then stir in the lemon juice. Taste, then salt and pepper if needed. Serve hot.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
I would be a vegetarian if all my food was as good as this soup. Yum!
I love how comforting this is!! Perfect for dinner any night of the week!
Absolutely loved this recipe, it was so wholesome and filling!
This is a great recipe that my friends and I love!