Hungarian Mushroom Soup Recipe (Vegan or Gluten Free!)
Nothing says it’s wintertime quite like enjoying a big, hot bowl of rich and comforting soup. However, just because a dish is creamy and luscious doesn’t mean it can’t also be healthful and loaded with good-for-you veggies… like mushrooms!
We love cozy dishes that feature earthy, savory, wonderfully flavorful mushrooms. They are perfect for adding to meaty dishes like Chopped Steak with Mushroom Gravy and Low Carb Chicken Mushroom Soup, but are also hearty enough to be the star of meat-free recipes such as Creamy Wild Mushroom Soup or this Wild Mushroom and Goat Cheese Frittata.
This Hungarian Mushroom Soup recipe is a classic vegetarian dish that is fantastic for making gluten free and even vegan-friendly with just a few basic swaps. And although it features only a handful of simple ingredients, it’s bursting with delicious and familiar flavors that the entire family will love!
The Best Hungarian Mushroom Soup Recipe
This simple and vibrant cream of mushroom soup variation is packed with earthy flavor from mushrooms and smoked paprika, and bright fresh notes from dill and lemon. Each bite is a great balance that will make you want more.
Not only is Hungarian Mushroom Soup tasty and satisfying, but it’s also easy to adjust for gluten free and vegan diets. So you can enjoy this recipe as an indulgent cream of mushroom soup or as a lighter, healthier dish – either way, it will taste amazing!
What Ingredients You Need
Here is everything needed to make the best rich and creamy Hungarian Mushroom soup recipe from scratch:
- Butter – unsalted
- Onion – chopped
- Celery – sliced
- Button mushrooms – sliced
- Soy sauce – to highlight the earthy flavor of the mushroom
- Fresh dill – you can use dried, but fresh really is best
- Smoked paprika – an essential ingredient in Hungarian cooking (you could even use hungarian sweet paprika.
- Lemon juice – to brighten the soup
- Vegetable broth – or mushroom broth (I do not suggest using chicken broth)
- Sour cream – for a perfectly rich creamy texture of mushroom soup
- All-purpose flour – to thicken the soup
- Salt and pepper – to taste
For garnishes, I suggest you use more fresh chopped dill, scallions, and/or parsley, and a bit of extra sour cream.
What Ingredients to Use for a Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
With just a few simple substitutions this is turned into an easy and delicious Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe!
First, swap the traditional dairy butter for plant-based butter. Then check out this recipe for Magical All-Purpose Cashew Cream for how to make the best cashew vegan sour cream.
How to Make this a Gluten-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
For a delicious low carb recipe, use a GF-friendly soy sauce and swap the all-purpose flour with your favorite gluten free flour substitute. And be sure your vegetable or mushroom broth is also gluten free for a totally gluten free Cream of Mushroom Soup.
How to Make Hungarian Mushroom Soup from Scratch
This rustic, hearty recipe requires less than an hour to make from start to finish. It’s prepared using just one large soup pot, with no difficult prep work or fancy kitchen gadgets needed. Whip up a batch of Cream of Mushroom Soup any night of the week or weekend for a stress-free and healthy dinner!
For the best homemade Hungarian Mushroom Soup, start by sautéing butter, onions, and celery in a 6-quart sauce pot over medium heat. After they’ve softened move the veggies to the side of the pot, and then add in the mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Sauté another several minutes while continuing to stir.
Next, stir in the soy sauce, dill, smoked paprika, lemon juice, and vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine the sour cream and flour until smooth.
Then ladle some of the soup broth into the sour cream mixture, stirring continuously so that the sour cream doesn’t curdle.
Once the mixture is thin and totally combined, whisk the sour cream mixture into the soup base, whisking constantly until thoroughly blended. This easy method for making a cream of soup roux ensures that there are no curdles or clumps in the soup.
Get the Complete (Printable) Hungarian Mushroom Soup Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Simmer the Hungarian Mushroom Soup for another couple of minutes to thicken. Taste, then add additional salt and lemon juice if needed.
Serve the soup warm with a generous sprinkling of fresh herbs and a dollop of sour cream on top.
What Kind Of Mushrooms Should I Use?
In this recipe, I used white button mushrooms, but you could also use cremini mushrooms as well if you prefer those over the button mushrooms.
How to Store Leftover Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Allow the soup to cool completely before transferring leftovers to an airtight container with a lid, and keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Because of the sour cream used in this recipe – both dairy and vegan versions – I do not recommend that you freeze this cream of mushroom soup.
Looking for More Vegetarian Soup Recipes?
- Vegan Creamy Golden Vegetable Soup
- Vegetarian Navy Bean Soup
- Spicy Southwest Pumpkin Soup
- Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup with Basil
- Irish Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Check out the printable recipe card below for the nutrition information including calories, calories, carbohydrates, protein, cholesterol, potassium, fiber, vitamin, and calcium percentages.
Hungarian Mushroom Soup (Vegan or Gluten Free!)
- ¼ cups butter (or plant-based butter)
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 pound button mushrooms sliced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (gluten free)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 cups vegetable broth or mushroom broth
- ¾ cups sour cream (or Vegan Cashew Sour Cream)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or GF baking mix)
- Salt and pepper
- Garnishes: Fresh chopped dill, scallions, and/or parsley, sour cream or cashew cream
- Set a large 6 quart saucepot over medium heat. Add the butter, onions, and celery. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to soften. Then move the veggies to the side of the pot and add in the mushrooms, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Sauté another 8-10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Stir in the soy sauce, dill, smoked paprika, lemon juice, and vegetable broth. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, set out a medium bowl. Add the sour cream and flour. Stir until smooth.
- Ladle some of the soup broth into the sour cream mixture, stirring constantly so the sour cream doesn’t curdle. Once the mixture is thin, whisk the sour cream mixture into the soup base, whisking continually. (This method ensures there are not curdles cream clumps in the soup.)
- Simmer another 3-5 minutes to thicken. Taste, then add additional salt and lemon juice if needed.
- Serve warm with a sprinkling of fresh herbs and a dollop of sour cream on top.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!