Tuscan Lentil Soup Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This is most amazing Tuscan Lentil Soup Recipe we’ve ever made, with rich rustic flavor! This healthy vegetarian lentil soup can be made on the stovetop, as Instant Pot Lentil Soup, or as Crock Pot Lentil Soup!
Why We Love This Tuscan Lentil Soup Recipe
When you hear the word Tuscan in a recipe title, what do you think of… Tomatoes? Parmesan cheese? Maybe even kale?
I bet lentils do not immediately come to mind.
However, believe it or not, lentils are a traditional ingredient in Italian countryside cooking.
Today we are pairing them with other wholesome Tuscan ingredients like rosemary, basil, garlic, and a host of garden produce… That does, of course, include tomatoes and kale. *wink*
These healthy foods stew together into the most luxurious, yet rustic, vegetarian stew you’ve ever tasted.
Who needs meat when you can make veggies taste this good!
Healthy Vegetable Lentil Soup
This classic Vegetarian Lentil Soup is loaded with goodness and robust flavors.
The texture is hearty and filling, speckled with carrots, celery, and potatoes. Lentils are a fabulous fiber-filled ingredient to keep your belly feeling full and satisfied!
Tuscan Vegetable Lentil Soup is the perfect healthy comfort food to serve your family through the cold winter months.
Bonus, it’s easy on your wallet and your waistline!
Vegetarian & Vegan Lentil Soup
This simple Tuscan Lentil Soup is already vegetarian. We are using olive oil to sauté the veggies, and vegetable broth in place of chicken or beef broth.
You can simply omit the parmesan cheese garnish to make it plant-based or vegan as well!
If your cooking for family or friends with food sensitivities, be assured this Vegan Lentil Soup is also gluten-free, dairy-free, and nut-free.
And yet, it still tastes irresistible!
Easy Lentil Soup Ingredients
- Olive oil
- Garlic – The more the merrier!
- Russet potato
- Fresh rosemary leaves – Or you can use dried rosemary
- Lentils – Use the green (brown) variety because they hold their shape better.
- Crushed tomatoes
- Vegetable broth
- Kale – You can go with Tuscan kale or any variety that looks fresh!
- Fresh basil leaves
- Shaved parmesan (optional garnish)
How To Make Lentil Soup (Plant-Based)
- Chop all the produce. Rinse and drain the dried lentils. Set a large 6-8 quart pot over medium heat. Add the oil, onion, celery, and garlic. Sauté to soften.
- Load the Pot. Add in the carrots, potatoes, rosemary, lentils, tomatoes, and broth. Bring to a boil.
- Cover the Simmer. Stir, reduce the heat, and cover. Simmer until the lentils are soft. Then stir in the kale and basil.
Get The Full (Printable) Tuscan Lentil Soup Recipe Below
Instant Pot Lentil Soup?
Normally, I make this Healthy Lentil Soup on the stovetop. However, it’s just as easy to make in your Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker!
To make Instant Pot Lentil Soup, just be sure you have at least a 6
quart pressure cooker, so the whole recipe fits in the pot.
- Set the Instant Pot on Sauté. Add the oil, onion, celery, and garlic. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to soften.
- Add in the carrots, potatoes, rosemary, lentils, tomatoes, and broth. Lock the lid into place and set on Pressure Cook High for 15 minutes. Perform a Quick Release, then allow the steam pressure to release naturally.
- Once the steam button has dropped, open the pot and stir in the kale and basil.
What About Crock Pot Lentil Soup?
Oh, we didn’t forget our good ol’ beloved crockpot. You can adjust this soup for the slow cooker as well.
To make Slow Cooker Lentil Soup, be sure to sauté the veggies on the stovetop first. Then dump in remaining ingredients into the crockpot, except the kale and basil.
Slow cook for 5-6 hours on high or 8-9 hours on low. Then stir in the fresh greens!
Can I Turn This Recipe Into Red Lentil Soup?
Yes, if you are a big red lentil fan, you can swap the green lentils for dried red lentils, then reduce the stovetop cook time to 20 minutes.
Reduce the Instant Pot cook time to 12 minutes.
And reduce both the high and low slow cooker times by 1 hour.
The biggest difference is the lentil texture. Green lentils tend to hold their shape better, while red lentils turn very soft and silky.
More Healthy Vegetarian Soups
- Spicy Southwest Pumpkin Soup
- Vegetarian Navy Bean Soup
- Japanese Clear Soup
- Vegan Creamy Golden Soup
- Buffalo Cauliflower Soup
- Tomato Potato White Bean Soup
- Healthy Tomato Bisque
Tuscan Lentil Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 5-6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 whole carrots, chopped
- 1 large russet potato, chopped (1/2-3/4 inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 pound lentils (green)
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup roughly chopped kale, packed (any variety)
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese (omit for vegan)
- salt and pepper
- Chop all the produce. Rinse and drain the dried lentils.
- ON THE STOVETOP: Set a large 6-8 quart pot over medium heat. Add the oil, onion, celery, and garlic. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to soften.
- Add in the carrots, potatoes, rosemary, lentils, tomatoes, and broth. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Stir, reduce the heat, and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice. (Don't forget to recover the pot.) Once the lentils are soft, stir in the kale and basil. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese!
- INSTANT POT LENTIL SOUP: (To use your IP you must have at least the 6 quart size.) Set the Instant Pot on Sauté. Add the oil, onion, celery, and garlic. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to soften.
- Add in the carrots, potatoes, rosemary, lentils, tomatoes, and broth. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper. Lock the lid into place and set on Pressure Cook High for 15 minutes. Perform a Quick Release, then let the steam pressure to release naturally. This usually takes about 10 minutes.
- Once the steam button has dropped, open the pot and stir in the kale and basil. Taste, season as needed, and serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- CROCK POT LENTIL SOUP: Set a large skillet over medium heat. Add the oil, onion, celery, and garlic. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to soften.
- Pour the sauteed vegetables into a large 6-8 quart slow cooker. Add in the carrots, potatoes, rosemary, lentils, tomatoes, and broth. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Cover and slow cook for 5-6 hours on high, or 8-9 hours on low. Once the lentils are soft, stir in the kale and basil. Taste, then season as needed. Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
I made the instant pot version of this soup and it came out delicious! I had to sub frozen string beans for the kale and stewed tomatoes for the crushed tomatoes. I chose to add a dash of turmeric and pepper once done topped it off with parmesan cheese, fresh black pepper, and Tuscan herb infused olive oil.
Added a half pound lean ground sirloin to increase flavor and protein. Used homemade beef bone broth for the same purpose. Used a mix of brown & red lentil – what I had. Added a bunch more vegetables (bits & pieces) to clean fridge and increase color (1 tomatillo, 6 green beans, a half a red bell, part of a leek, 3 okra, 1 small parsnip, 1/4 turnip, 6 or 8 sprigs of Lemon Thyme etc.)
My wife and a neighbor loved it. Thanks for posting this recipe.
Is the basil fresh or dried basil? I only have dried basil, so would it be a smaller amount to add?
I used fresh basil, but you can use dried basil if you like. I would add approximately 1 tablespoon dried basil.
What’s one pound of lentils in “cup” measurement? Thanks.
It’s usually around 2 cups, but not exactly. It’s best to just buy a 1 pound bag.
Very good, easy to make on the stovetop. I added ham also, Did not add the kale had enough in the soup.
So far I have tried quite a few of your recipes and I gained trust in you (priceless) as i know now how everything you post/publish has been tested and tastes gooood :)
OMGOODNESS! This is one of the best homemade soups I’ve had in a very long time! It’s so flavorful and I love the colors! Its just me and my husband so I cut the recipe in half and it came out great!
Thanks for sharing! 😋😋
Can I turn this into a freezer meal? Make several batches and freeze?
Yes, you can! This soup freezes very well. It should last 4-6 months in the freezeer.
I’m definitely going to make this – my fiance insists! :-)
Just a side note – Parmesan cheese is NEVER vegetarian, as it is always made with animal rennet. (I’m not vegetarian, but would hate to see people getting on your case about something like this, as they inevitably do … my only reason for pointing it out! :-))
I live for a good bowl of soup. Grew up in a home where we ate soups almost every day, so glad I found your recipe!
This lentil soup is amazing. It’s perfect for these cold winter nights. I will be making this again very soon.
We love all the veggies in this soup. Plus, it’s so flavorful!
Definitely adding this to the list to make for my vegan brother and his fiancé.