Silky Skinny Creamy Chicken Broccoli Soup, just as light and lean as you will be by spring!
So we all overdid during the holidays… Cocktails, prime rib, fudge.
Sometimes it makes me feel better to act a little surprised about this. How about you?
It’s time to reign it in, and cut down on sugar, carbohydrates, and empty calories.
Yet the transition from comforting naughty foods to clean healthy recipes can be a little shocking to the body.
I usually last about three to four days on a clean eating plan before serious cookie cravings hit.
Adding in some healthy dishes that taste and feel like comfort food, can make the new year clean-up a little less painful.
Today’s Skinny Creamy Chicken Broccoli Soup is just such a recipe. It is rich and creamy, with a smooth satisfying texture. It tastes like fresh broccoli cheese soup with chunks of hearty chicken in every spoonful.
However, this satiating sensation is under 300 calories per bowl and contains less than 7 grams of carbohydrates.
Not too shabby!
The key to making a luxurious creamy soup base, without fatty cream, is to stir in a little fat free cream cheese.
As the cream cheese melts into the broth, it provides all the richness of a much heavier soup, without the added guilt!
Skinny Creamy Chicken Broccoli Soup is quick to prepare in just over 30 minutes, and will make everyone at the dinner table smile, kids and adults alike!
It’s also a fabulous leftover. I like to rewarm this soup on cold winter days with a spinach salad on the side.
Make sure to check out our video tutorial below for today’s Skinny Creamy Chicken Broccoli Soup recipe!
More Lean Chicken Soup Recipes
Skinny Creamy Chicken Broccoli Soup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 ounces fat free cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 3 cups small fresh broccoli florets
- Salt and pepper
- Possible garnishes: Low fat shredded cheese, chopped scallions, fresh parsley
- Place the butter in a 4 quart soup pot and set over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the onions and garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minute, stirring to make sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Place the whole chicken breasts at the bottom of the pot. Add the broth, sherry, Dijon mustard, corn starch, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Bring the broth to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes to cook the chicken.
- Remove the chicken breast with tongs. Then add in the cream cheese. Whisk to melt the cream cheese into the broth. Then use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Add the broccoli florets and the shredded chicken to the soup. Stir well and turn off the heat. The small broccoli florets will cook quickly in the hot broth.
- Taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm.