Lieutenant Dan’s Steakhouse Salad is the perfect side dish for any meal, made with only 6 ingredients!
My brother and I have lovingly called my husband “Lieutenant Dan” for over 20 years.
Yes, his name is Dan. No, he is not now, nor has he ever been associated with the military.
It just so happens we met right after the movie Forrest Gump hit the box office, and the nickname stuck.
My Lt. Dan has some rather Gumpy kitchen habits.
Historically, he happens to be a very versatile cook. However for the last 8 years or so, he has developed his own signature meal, and that is the only meal he ever cooks… Over and over and over.
He cooks it when guys come over for game night. He cook’s it to celebrate a friend’s birthday. He cooks it when he wants to surprise me with dinner. He cooks it when I’m out of town and he’s feeding the kids.
Lt. Dan’s signature meal consists of enormous ribeye steaks meticulously cooked to ruby pink perfection, sautéed mushrooms in butter and sherry, oven roasted potatoes with herbs, and a steakhouse style salad.
Simple. Yet, after making the exact same meal dozens and dozens of times, he has mastered every single element, from his steak marinade, to the caramelization on the mushrooms, to his romaine salad.
Sigh… You gotta love that kind of dedication.
Lieutenant Dan’s Steakhouse Salad Recipe is a basic crunchy romaine salad. The kind a waiter might make table-side at an upscale steakhouse.
And actually if we’re being forthright, it’s not his salad at all. Dan learned to make it from some of our friends who served it with steak one night at their house. Ever since, he has taken it on as his part of his signature meal.
This easy salad consists of fresh romaine lettuce, Worchestershire sauce, really good olive oil, fresh lemon juice, garlic, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper.
Lt. Dan likes to use the pre-minced garlic sold in the little jars, but fresh minced garlic works just as well.
You simply whisk the dressing together. Pour it over the lettuce and toss. Then sprinkle some shaved parmesan over the top.
It’s bold and zesty with a perky lemon finish. Salty, cool, and crisp.
Lieutenant Dan’s Steakhouse Salad is literally the perfect side dish for any meal…
Even if it’s the same meal over and over again.
Lieutenant Dan's Steakhouse Salad
- 8 ounces romaine lettuce hearts
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, fresh or from jar
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Chop the romaine lettuce and place in a large salad bowl.
- Pour the Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, and lemon juice in a small jar. Add in the minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper. Whisk well.
- Pour the dressing over the lettuce and toss well to coat.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top and lightly toss. Serve immediately!