Jennifer Aniston Salad (Bulgar Wheat Recipe)
Why We Love This Salad Recipe
Jennifer Aniston, to know her is to love her. Over the years, she has inspired cultural trends, starting with the hit TV series Friends “Rachel Haircut” to mainstream fashion, interior design, lifestyle, and even popularity in the spectrum of food.
It’s reported that years ago, on the set of Friends, Jennifer Aniston, Courteney, Cox, and Lisa Kudrow would eat the same salad every day for lunch… A slightly healthier version of a Cobb salad. However, in more recent years, her latest salad sensation is a Bulgur Wheat Salad that has gone viral on social media.
The current trending “Jennifer Aniston Salad” recipe contains bulgur wheat (or quinoa if you’re gluten free), plus cucumbers, parsley, mint leaves, red onion, chickpeas, pistachios, feta cheese, and is kissed with a light lemon vinaigrette.
Jenn hit the mark on this one, as she always does. This bulgur wheat recipe is healthy and filling, super easy to customize, and holds up in the fridge for several days so it’s great for meal prep. It offers fabulous bold flavors and nice crunch!
As for customization, if you are gluten free, you can certainly use an equal amount of quinoa in this recipe. You can also reduce the amount of bulgur wheat or quinoa and up the veggie count for a lower carb variation that still has the filling properties of grains. And in our variation of Jenn’s salad, I’ve added a little honey to the dressing to balance the tartness. You can certainly omit the honey if desired.
Keep reading for the wonderfully simple bulgar wheat recipe steps PLUS all kinds of terrific salad variations!
Ingredients You Need
- Bulgar wheat – medium or course
- Water – to cook the bulgar
- English cucumber – diced
- Flatleaf parsley – chopped
- Mint leaves – chopped
- Red onion – diced
- Canned chickpeas – aka garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- Pistachios – shelled
- Feta cheese – crumbled or cubed
- Lemon juice – fresh is best (swap red wine vinegar)
- Extra virgin olive oil – or avocado oil
- Honey – our special touch of sweetness
- Salt and pepper – to taste
How to Make the Jennifer Aniston Salad
Set a medium saucepot on the stovetop over medium heat. Add the dried bulgur wheat and 2 cups of water. Stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pot and lower the heat, until the grains have absorbed all the moisture, usually 12 to 15 minutes.
Note: Check package instructions for cooking times if needed.
Fluff the bulgur wheat with a fork, then remove from heat and cover until ready to use.
Meanwhile, chop the cucumbers, fresh parsley, fresh mint, red onions, and feta cheese. Drain the chickpeas.
Set out a small bowl or measuring pitcher for the dressing. Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, honey, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon of cracked black pepper. Whisk well.
Once the bulgur wheat (or quinoa) has cooled to room temperature, move it to a large bowl.
Add all the fresh produce and feta to the bowl.
Get the Complete (Printable) Jennifer Aniston Salad Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Then add the drained chickpeas and pistachios.
Drizzle the lemon dressing over the top and toss well to coat. Taste the salad and add additional salt and pepper if desired.
Cover and refrigerate the salad until ready to serve.
- Grains – Swap bulgar wheat with quinoa for a gluten-free Jennifer Aniston salad; or do a 50/50 combo of wheat and quinoa for fewer carbs and more protein. You can also switch out the grains for cooked farro, brown rice, or barley.
- Veggies – Swap ingredients for (or add) red bell pepper, chopped roasted red pepper, marinated mushrooms, sprouts, zucchini, or summer squash.
- Herbs – Swap mint and parsley with chopped dill, cilantro, or other fresh herbs.
- Protein – As-is this is a vegetarian recipe, but feel free to add chopped cooked chicken breast, turkey, steak, or salmon.
- Honey – Omit for less sweetness and a more tart dressing taste.
- Crunch – If you want more crunch in the salad, add in chopped almonds, sunflower seeds, or pistachios.
Frequently Asked Questions
Truly, this loaded salad is a meal all by itself! But it also makes a terrific hearty side salad. Serve with lighter proteins like lean Grilled or Baked Chicken, Zesty Greek Chicken, or scrumptious Mediterranean Burgers.
Piled high with healthy fats, fiber, fresh veggies, protein-rich cheese and beans, and an olive oil-based vinaigrette, it is safe to say that this salad is quite good for you!
The vast majority of nutritionists will say it isn’t a good idea to eat the same of anything every day, this salad included. Your body needs a vast array of nutrients, and one dish just simply isn’t going to cut it. That being said, this bulgar wheat salad recipe certainly can be frequently worked into your regular meal rotation!
One of the many reasons this dish has gone viral is for its wonderful meal prep-ability. You can toss everything together several days in advance and keep it in the fridge until ready to serve.
Keep the salad in an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
Looking for More Satisfying Salad Recipes? Be Sure to Also Try:
- Tabouli with Feta and Endive
- Quinoa Salad with Green Chile Dressing
- Chunky Mediterranean Salad
- How to Cook Barley (Pearl Barley Salad)
- Wild Rice Salad with Blueberries and Herbs
Jennifer Aniston Salad (Bulgar Wheat Recipe + VIDEO)
- 1 cup dried bulgur wheat medium or coarse (or quinoa for GF)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup diced English cucumber
- ½ cup chopped flatleaf parsley
- ½ cup chopped mint leaves
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 15.5 ounce can chickpeas drained
- ½ cup shelled pistachios
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled or cubed
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2-3 teaspoons honey
- Salt and pepper
- Set a medium saucepot on the stovetop over medium heat. Add the dried bulgur wheat and 2 cups of water. Stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pot and lower the heat, until the grains have absorbed all the moisture, usually 12 to 15 minutes. *Check package instructions for cooking times if needed.
- Fluff the bulgur wheat with a fork, then remove from heat and cover until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, chop the cucumbers, parsley, mint, red onions, and feta cheese. Drain the chickpeas.
- Set out a small bowl (or measuring pitcher) for the dressing. Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, honey, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon of cracked black pepper. Whisk well.
- Once the bulgur wheat (or quinoa) has cooled to room temperature, move it to a large salad bowl. Add all the fresh produce, chickpeas, pistachios, and crumbled feta to the bowl. Drizzle the lemon dressing over the top and toss well to coat. Taste the salad and add additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate the salad until ready to serve.