Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe – a zesty, low fat, gluten free meal with an easy low carb option! This skinny soup recipe is exactly what you need.
Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe
I just can’t get enough soup this time of year. Neither can my family. They would eat soup every day if I made it for them.
Any soup is a good idea when it’s so frigid outside. Yet we especially love soups with bold flavors and spices!
Today’s Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe is a meal you can enjoy all through the winter months, even when you are watching your diet.
Chicken Fajitas in Soup?
If you love Chicken Fajitas, Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup offers the same type of comforting Mexican appeal, with a unique taste and texture.
This skinny soup is low fat, gluten free, and it only has good carbs from black beans and brown rice. However, if you want to make a low carb option, just take out the rice.
Top it with reduced fat cheese, scallion, and fresh avocado, for a dinner that will make you say OLE!
How to Make Chicken Fajita Soup
- In a large pot, sauté chopped bell peppers, onions, and garlic to soften.
- Add whole chicken breasts, black beans, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, fajita seasoning packet, and salt. If adding rice, stir it in with additional water. Bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer.
- Use tongs to remove the cooked chicken breasts. Allow the soup to continue simmering to fully cook the rice. Allow the chicken to cool for a few minutes, then shred with two forks.
- Once the rice is tender, add the shredded chicken back to the soup. Taste, and salt and pepper as needed.
- Voila! (See the recipe card below for more detailed instructions).
How Much Does This Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe Make?
This Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe makes a large batch (about nine cups!) Enjoy it tonight, and freeze the rest for a busy night next week.
Watch the Video & Check the Recipe Card to See How to Make Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup!
Looking For More Skinny Recipes? Try some of our favorites:
- Skinny Enchilada Dip
- Healthy Caribbean Chicken Curry Sheet Pan Dinner
- Light Broccoli Cheese Soup
- One Pot Chicken Pasta with Light Basil Cream Sauce
- Skinny Creamy Chicken Broccoli Soup
Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe
This Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup recipe is a zesty, low fat, gluten-free meal with an easy low carb option! This skinny soup recipe is exactly what you need.
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 ounces black beans (drained)
- 15 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 fajita seasoning packet
- 1/2 cup brown rice, optional
- Possible Garnishes: reduced fat cheese, scallions, avocado
- Place a large sauce 6-8 quart pot over medium heat. Add the oil, chopped bell peppers, onions, and garlic. Saute for 3-5 minutes to soften.
- Add whole chicken breasts, black beans, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, 1 fajita seasoning packet, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. If adding rice, stir it in with an additional 2 cups of water. Bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Use tongs to remove the cooked chicken breasts. Allow the soup to continue simmering to fully cook the rice, another 10-15 minutes. Allow the chicken to cool for a few minutes, then shred with two forks.
This soup has a nice light fajita flavor. If you like a more robust soup, use the fajita packet + 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, and 1 fresh chopped jalapeno.
For a low carb option, omit the brown rice.
Other Great Recipes
Spicy Bacon Wrapped Dates with Goat Cheese Next Post
Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars