Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup is a zesty, low fat, gluten free meal with an easy low carb option! This skinny soup recipe is exactly what you need.
I just can’t get enough soup this time of year. Neither can my family. They would eat soup every day, if I made it for them.
Any soup is a good idea when it’s so frigid outside. Yet we especially love soups with bold flavors and spices!
Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup
Today’s Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe is a meal you can enjoy all through the winter months, even when you are watching your diet.
This skinny soup is low fat, gluten free, and it only has good carbs from black beans and brown rice. However, if you want to make a low carb option, just take out the rice.
Chicken Fajita Soup
If you love tortilla soup, Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup offers the same type of comforting Mexican appeal, with a unique taste and texture.
Top it with reduced fat cheese, scallion, and fresh avocado, for a dinner that will make you say OLE!
This Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe makes a large batch. Enjoy it tonight, and freeze the rest for a busy night next week!
Watch the Video & Check the recipe card to see how to make Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup!
Looking For More Skinny Recipes? Try some of our favorites:
- Skinny Enchilada Dip
- Healthy Caribbean Chicken Curry Sheet Pan Dinner
- Light Broccoli Cheese Soup
- One Pot Chicken Pasta with Light Basil Cream Sauce
- Skinny Creamy Chicken Broccoli Soup
Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 15 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 fajita seasoning packet
- 1/2 cup brown rice, optional
- Possible Garnishes: Reduced Fat Cheese Scallions, Avocado
- Place a large sauce 6-8 quart pot over medium heat. Add the oil, chopped bell peppers, onions, and garlic. Saute for 3-5 minutes to soften.
- Add whole chicken breasts, black beans, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, 1 fajita seasoning packet, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. If adding rice, stir it in with an additional 2 cups of water. Bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Use tongs to remove the cooked chicken breasts. Allow the soup to continue simmering to fully cook the rice, another 10-15 minutes. Allow the chicken to cool for a few minutes, then shred with two forks.
- Once the rice is tender, add the shredded chicken back to the soup. Taste, and salt and pepper as needed.
NOTE: This soup has a nice light fajita flavor. If you like a more robust soup, use the fajita packet + 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, and 1 fresh chopped jalapeno.
For a low carb option, omit the brown rice.