Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup, a zesty low fat, gluten free meal with an easy low carb option!
I just can’t get enough soup this time of year. Neither can my family. They would eat soup every day, if I made it for them.
Any soup is a good idea when it’s so frigid outside. Yet we especially love soups with bold flavors and spices!
Today’s Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe is a meal you can enjoy all through the winter months, even when you are watching your diet.
It’s low fat, gluten free, and only has good carbs from black beans and brown rice. However, if you want to make a low carb option, just take out the rice.
If you love tortilla soup, Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup offers the same type of comforting Mexican appeal, with a unique taste and texture.
Top it with reduced fat cheese, scallion, and fresh avocado, for a dinner that will make you say OLE!
This Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe makes a large batch. Enjoy it tonight, and freeze the rest for a busy night next week!
Looking For More Skinny Recipe?
Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:40 minutes
Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe – A simple zesty Mexican-style soup that is low fat, gluten free, and can be made low carb as well!
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 15 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 fajita seasoning packet
- 1/2 cup brown rice, optional
- Possible Garnishes: Reduced Fat Cheese, Scallions, Avocado
- Place a large sauce 6-8 quart pot over medium heat. Add the oil, chopped bell peppers, onions, and garlic. Saute for 3-5 minutes to soften.
- Add whole chicken breasts, black beans, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, 1 fajita seasoning packet, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. If adding rice, stir it in with an additional 2 cups of water. Bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Use tongs to remove the cooked chicken breasts. Allow the soup to continue simmering to fully cook the rice, another 10-15 minutes. Allow the chicken to cool for a few minutes, then shred with two forks.
- Once the rice is tender, add the shredded chicken back to the soup. Taste, and salt and pepper as needed.
NOTE: This soup has a nice light fajita flavor. If you like a more robust soup, use the fajita packet + 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, and 1 fresh chopped jalapeno.
For a low carb option, omit the brown rice.
Yield: 6-8 servings, Serving Size: 1/8th recipe
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 236 Calories
- Total Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Sodium: 1232mg
- Carbohydrates: 18.1g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Protein: 25.1g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!