Easy One Pot Chicken Pasta with Light Basil Cream Sauce – the perfect dinner for pasta lovers who are watching their waistlines!
Looking for a quick comforting dinner idea?
Want to make it in one single pan for easy clean up??
Oh yes… and you want it to be healthy for your family???
I’ve got you covered.
Today’s One Pot Chicken Pasta with Light Basil Cream Sauce is a win-win-win.
It’s soooo cozy and delicious, with whole wheat gemelli twists, tender morsels of chicken, and a silky herbaceous cream sauce that tastes decadent, although it’s not.
Start this One Pot Chicken Pasta with Light Basil Cream Sauce by sautéing chicken pieces for a couple minutes. We’re not trying to cook the chicken through here, because it will go back in the pan later.
Remove the chicken and add the pasta to the pan with 3 cups of water. Cover the pan and allow the pasta to simmer until all the water has absorbed…. the pasta won’t be quite cooked through either at this point.
Then puree low fat milk, light sour cream, fresh basil and garlic together into a creamy sauce. Pour the basil cream sauce over the pasta and toss to coat.
Allow the pasta to simmer a couple minutes before adding the chicken back to the skillet.
Then toss in the chicken, and simmer another 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens.
Voila! See how easy that was?
I like to add fresh grape tomatoes to the pasta when it’s finished cooking to add a bit of color, sweetness, and fresh juicy pop!
Our One Pot Chicken Pasta with Light Basil Cream Sauce is so easy to make, it might become a “regular” on the dinner schedule. Heck, your kids might even be able to make it themselves.
And they’ll love serving this light and healthy pasta dish on gorgeous, yet crack resistant, Q Squared NYC dishes.
We are crazy over our Q Squared dinnerware (and flatware) because they come in so many fabulous patterns, and we never have to worry about the kids “helping” with dinner and clean up.
And we love them even more when they are piled high with luxurious, yet easy to make, pasta dishes like this one!
One Pot Chicken Pasta with Light Basil Cream Sauce
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time:5 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
Easy One Pot Chicken Pasta with Light Basil Cream Sauce! The best one pot pasta recipe we’ve ever made. Loaded with tender chicken, fresh tomatoes and basil.
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless, chicken breast
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound DeLallo whole wheat gemelli pasta
- 1 1/2 cups low fat sour cream
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 bunch fresh basil (about 1 cup packed leaves)
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a large deep sauté pan over medium heat. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces. When the skillet is hot add the butter, and the chicken. Salt and pepper liberally. Then sauté for 3-5 minutes until mostly cooked. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. (Do not cook the chicken all the way through yet.)
- Add the pasta to the skillet and cover with 3 cups of water. Place the lid on the pan and simmer until the pasta has absorbed all the water and is almost cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place the sour cream, milk, basil and garlic in the blender. Cover and puree until very smooth. Once the pasta has absorbed all the water, add the cream sauce to the pasta and stir to coat. Simmer for 2 minutes, then add the chicken back to the skillet and simmer another 2-3 minutes, until the chicken and pasta are cooked through and the sauce has tightened a little. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the skillet from heat. The sauce will continue to thicken as it cools. Toss well, then add the tomato halves to the pasta. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1/6th recipe
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 500 Calories
- Total Fat: 12.2g
- Saturated Fat: 6.3g
- Cholesterol: 86mg
- Sodium: 121mg
- Carbohydrates: 61.3g
- Fiber: 7.5g
- Sugar: 6.6g
- Protein: 36.1g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!