Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake Recipe – A comforting dish that’s loaded with creamy Italian cheeses and precooked chicken. This easy meal is perfect to enjoy on a busy weeknight, or for making ahead and freezing!
There are few dinners that are more deliciously indulgent than rich, creamy Alfredo pasta. Made with zesty parmesan cheese and cream, a perfect Alfredo sauce should be thick and smooth, and so tasty that you don’t care one bit about the calories!
This Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake recipe has that luscious, cheesy goodness of classic Alfredo you know and love. Yet it is easily prepared and baked as a deliciously comforting casserole dish. It is the ultimate crowd-pleasing meal, and even kids will love this more “adult” version of their favorite mac and cheese.
Based on our household’s response, your family is also going to be asking for this tangy, super cheesy chicken and pasta dinner a lot!
Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
Traditional chicken Alfredo is typically best when prepared and served right away. But by turning it into a baked pasta casserole, we’ve created an excellent make ahead dish for enjoying as part of your weekly meal plan… Or freezing for later use!
You can even make this Chicken Alfredo Pasta recipe using the no-boil method instead of cooked pasta for the absolute easiest prep!
What Ingredients You Need
The simple combination of precooked chicken, noodles, and a terrifically easy Alfredo sauce make this a classic comfort food recipe that is great for stocking the freezer and/or feeding a crowd.
(I mean, who doesn’t love chicken, pasta, and cheese layered with more cheese and baked to perfection?! I have yet to meet this person.)
Here is everything needed to make the cheesiest Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake recipe:
- Penne pasta – or similarly shaped pasta
- Cooked chicken – leftover or rotisserie chicken
- Butter and all-purpose flour – to create the Alfredo roux
- Garlic – an essential in an Italian-inspired cooking
- Half & half – you need the full-fat of “real” half & half to make the best creamy cheese sauce
- Italian seasoning – store-bought or try our homemade blend
- Chicken bouillon – to really UMPH up the savory chicken flavor
- Cheeses – shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan
- Parsley – fresh, for garnishing
How to Make the Easiest, Cheesiest Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
This baked Alfredo pasta dish is great for making as a large casserole that yields 12 hearty servings. And it’s ready in less than one hour!
Bring it to your next potluck to feed a hungry group, or make this recipe for an easy dinner and enjoy leftovers for lunch! You can even make it ahead as a freezer meal to keep on hand and serve in a pinch.
Here’s how to make our easy Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake recipe:
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and set out a large 9X13 inch baking dish.
Set a large pot of salted water over high heat and bring to a boil. Then stir in the pasta and cook according to the package instructions. Drain the pasta once al dente, reserving 1 cup of pasta water for later use.
Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce. Set a second large sauce pot over medium heat, and add the butter. Once melted, whisk in the flour and then the minced garlic. Continue whisking for a couple of minutes until the roux in golden in color.
Next, whisk in the half & half, Italian seasoning, and chicken bouillon. Once the mixture is hot but not boiling, stir in some of the shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Stir and gently simmer until the cheese is well incorporated.
Pro Tip: The sauce should be thick, but still saucy… not like gravy. If it seems too thick, little by little mix in ½ to 1 cup of the reserved pasta water.
Then, mix in the cooked pasta and chopped precooked chicken.
Once the pasta and chicken and coated in the Alfredo cheese sauce, pour the mix into the baking dish. Spread it out evenly, and then sprinkle the remaining shredded mozzarella over the top.
Get the Complete (Printable) Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Bake uncovered until the sides are bubbling and the cheese on top of the Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake is melted with crispy edges.
Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley, if you like, and serve warm.
Leftovers will keep well for up to 3 days in the fridge. It will still taste terrific when reheated in the microwave or oven!
How Can I Make Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake with the No-Boil Cooking Method?
It is easy to make this baked chicken and pasta casserole without boiling the pasta beforehand! To do so, simply place the pasta in a large bowl and cover with very hot tap water. Stir, and let the pasta sit for about 20 minutes until close to al dente.
This is ideal to do while you work on making the cheese sauce, and then use the “cooked” pasta as directed in the recipe. I love using the no-boil trick to help cut down on heat in the kitchen!
How Do I Freeze and Reheat Baked Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Pasta?
This is an excellent dish to make ahead and freeze! For best results, I recommend making the casserole in a freezer-safe dish, like disposable aluminum foil pans with lids.
You can fully prepare the Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Pasta, package in an airtight container, and freeze unbaked for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to enjoy, simply bake uncovered in a 350 degree F preheated oven for 1 hour. There’s no need to defrost it first!
Looking for More Delicious Casserole Recipes?
- King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- One-Pot Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Baked Ziti with Ricotta and Sausage
- Cajun Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Stuffed Fiesta Cornbread Casserole
Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
- 1 pound dried penne or another similar shape
- 1 pound cooked chicken chopped (leftover or rotisserie)
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 5-6 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups half & half
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- Parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Set out a 9X13 inch baking dish.
- Set a large pot of salted water over high heat. Once boiling, stir in the penne and cook according to the package instructions. Then drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of pasta water for later use.
- Meanwhile, set a second large sauce pot over medium heat. Add the butter. Once melted, whisk in the flour. Then whisk in the minced garlic. Continue to whisk for 1-2 minutes until the roux is golden in color.
- Stir in the half & half, Italian seasoning, and bouillon. Once the mixture is hot, stir in 1 cup shredded mozzarella, and 1 cup parmesan cheese. Stir and simmer until the cheese is well incorporated.
- The sauce should be thick, but still saucy, not like gravy. If it seems too thick, mix in ½ to 1 cup pasta water. Then mix in the cooked pasta and chicken pieces.
- Pour the pasta mix into the baking dish. Spread out evenly. Then sprinkle the remaining 2 cups of mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the sides are bubbling and the cheese on top is melted with crispy edges. Serve warm.