Cheesy Cajun Chicken and Rice Casserole, an easy jambalaya variation with tons of flavor!
The end of the school year and graduation are just around the corner. Can you believe it?
This year has flown by in our family. Both of my kids are in middle school, so with advanced homework, sports, and extra curricular activities we have all been extremely busy the last nine months.
We are ready for a break, and definitely ready to celebrate the end of the school year!
Although my kids aren’t graduating high school yet, there are graduation parties happening all around us.
It’s bitter-sweet to watch our friends help their babies get ready for college. And knowing that they are just a couple months away from leaving the house (possibly for good) has to be hard.
Thankfully I have a few more years to keep my babies at home, and I plan to make the very most of it!
Today’s cheesy Cajun Chicken and Rice Casserole is a marvelous meal to serve at graduation parties and at the end of the school year celebrations.
It’s comforting, zesty, packed with protein, and each bite is kissed by hot molten Borden® Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese. Plus, our Cajun Chicken and Rice Casserole is easy to make and large enough to feed a crowd!
This jambalaya variation is a favorite in our house. It’s takes much less hands-on cooking time, because it is baked in the oven. The addition of andouille sausage and cajun seasoning give it depth and a bit of spice.
Yet best of all, adding Borden® Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese makes the entire dish more dazzling than ever. Creamy Borden® Cheese transforms this classic cajun dish into a memorable summertime feast, creating special moments for your family!
Borden® Cheese offers a wide array of cheeses to satisfy any craving, including: Mozzarella, Mexican Style, Swiss, Colby, Jack, and a variety of Cheddars.
However, it’s sharp cheddar cheese shreds that really pull this whole dish together.
The culmination of the chicken, spicy sausage, aromatic rice, and sharp cheddar gives the Cajun Chicken and Rice Casserole a note of rustic decadence.
Jambalaya is good on its own, but with Borden® Cheese… Exceptional! This is a new summertime party dish we will make for years to come.
If you are planning an end of school party this spring, add Cajun Chicken and Rice Casserole to your menu plan. It’s a hearty meal that is hard to resist.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Borden® Cheese. All opinions are my own.
Cajun Chicken and Rice Casserole
Yield: 8-12 servings
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:60 minutes
Cheesy Cajun Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe with sausage and peppers! This amazing rice bake is similar to jambalaya, yet easier to make.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cup dried long grain rice
- 1 large boneless chicken breast (1/2 – 3/4 pounds)
- 14 ounces andouille sausage
- 14 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups Borden® Sharp Cheddar Cheese Shreds
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place a skillet over medium heat. Add the butter, chopped onions, bell peppers, and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes to soften.
- Chop the chicken breast into 3/4 inch chunks and slice the andouille sausage into 1/2 rounds.
- In a 3 quart baking dish, combine the rice, sauteed veggies, chicken, sausage, canned tomatoes, cajun seasoning, and 1 cup Borden® Sharp Cheddar Cheese Shreds. Stir and pour the broth over the top. Gently shake the pan to make sure all the rice is submerged in the broth. Then cover the pan tightly with foil and bake for 60+ minutes, until the rice is tender.
- Remove the foil and fluff the rice with a fork. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese and chopped scallions over the top. Bake uncovered another 3-5 minutes to melt the cheese.
Yield: 8-12 servings, Serving Size: 12
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 361 Calories
- Total Fat: 13.7g
- Saturated Fat: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 72mg
- Sodium: 772mg
- Carbohydrates: 30.3g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sugar: 2.3g
- Protein: 28.8g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
Grilled Fruit Salad with Creamy Lime Dressing Next Post
Magic 4-Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookies (Low-Carb!)