Air Fryer Potato Wedges
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Why We Love This Potato Recipe
I am going to cut right to the chase here, people: These Air Fryer Potato Wedges are a game changer.
There’s nothing I love more than thick crispy potato wedges. For years I’ve made them a traditional way, deep fried, or roasted in the oven. However, I’ve discovered the air fryer is the absolute best method for perfectly crispy potato wedges that are soft and fluffy inside… That are much better for you!
Hand-cut pieces of potatoes are tossed with just a bit of oil and a few spices. There’s no need to soak the potatoes first! Simply toss them right into the air fryer, and in only about 15 minutes you are ready to serve hot, lightly crisp, perfectly tender, and fluffy potato wedges with your favorite dipping sauces and main dishes.
And not only is this recipe great with russet potatoes, but make sweet potato air fryer potato wedges by just adding a few minutes of cook time.
Ingredients You Need
- Russet potatoes – scrubbed, with the peels left on (or try yukons)
- Olive oil – or other high-heat and neutral-flavored oil you prefer, like avocado or canola oil
- Spices – we love the combination of garlic powder, dried thyme, salt, and pepper
How to Make Air Fryer Potato Wedges
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
Rinse the potatoes, and cut them in half. Then cut each half into four thick strips.
Place the potato wedges in a bowl. Drizzle olive oil over the top, followed by garlic powder, dried thyme, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of cracked black pepper. Toss well.
Spread the potato wedges out in the hot air fryer basket.
Pro Tip: Do not overlap the potatoes! Give each a bit of space so they fry evenly.
Get the Complete (Printable) Air Fryer Potato Wedges Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Set the timer for 15 minutes. Flip once, or shake the basket vigorously, in the middle.
Homemade Potato Wedges Recipe Variations
- Spices – This recipe is super easy to customize with your favorite flavors! Mix up the seasonings however you like… Try Old Bay, Cajun, or homemade Italian seasoning blends. Or make your own spice blend with smoked paprika and chili powder.
- Other potatoes – If you can’t find russet potatoes, you can use yukon gold potatoes, or any other starchy potatoes. It’s best not to use waxy potatoes, like new potatoes.
- Sweet potatoes – For sweet potato wedges make as directed, air frying for 20 minutes, flipping once in the middle.
- Bake – No air fryer? That’s ok! You can oven-bake the wedges just as easily. Toss them in the oil and bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes, flipping halfway through cook time.
- Toppings – Sprinkle fresh parsley, lemon zest, bacon bits, or parmesan cheese over the top of the cooked potatoes.
Serve warm with ketchup, honey mustard, BBQ sauce, or with other tasty dipping sauces. Here are a few of our favorite sauces to go with potato wedges:
Frequently Asked Questions
Admittedly, air frying is my favorite (healthy-ish) method to make fries. You don’t have to use a ton of oil, or have that ton of hot oil popping all over your kitchen. And there’s no draining the potatoes after frying… So yup, they are healthier, easier, and less messy than traditional fries.
Wedges won’t get nice and crisp if the basket is too crowded or if the heat isn’t quite hot enough. Make sure to place them in the hot air fryer in a single layer.
While they definitely taste best fresh and hot from the fryer, leftovers will keep well for a day or so. Let them cool completely before transferring them to an airtight container, and store them in the fridge. The best way to reheat them is – surprise! – in the air fryer for just a few minutes to crisp up.
Looking for More Easy Air Fryer Recipes? Be Sure to Also Try:
- Breaded Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Air Fryer Cheese Curds
- Best Air Fryer Tater Tots
- Crispy Air Fryer Toasted Ravioli
Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Rinse the potatoes, and cut them in half. Then cut each half into four thick strips. Place the potato wedges in a bowl. Drizzle olive oil over the top, followed by garlic powder, dried thyme, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of cracked black pepper. Toss well.
- Spread the potato wedges out in the hot air fryer basket in a single layer. Set the timer for 15 minutes. Flip once, or shake the basket vigorously, in the middle.
- Serve warm with ketchup, remoulade sauce, or your favorite dipping sauces.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!