The Best Air Fryer Tater Tots
Why We Love This Recipe
Seriously, who doesn’t love a basket of hot and crunchy tater tots?! This classic kid-friendly – and inner-child friendly – snack and side dish is always a winner.
Speaking of winners, this Air Fryer Tater Tots recipe is hands-down going to be your favorite cooking method for all things “fried.” Although frozen tater tots are great baked in the oven, they are even crispier and faster to make in the air fryer!
Plus, you can season them with any sort of salt a seasoning blend. So it’s an easy recipe to customize the flavors for your meal!
3 Ingredients You Need
- Frozen tater tots – no need to thaw!
- Olive oil – or canola, avocado, or grapeseed oil
- Seasonings – your choice, see suggestions below
You can certainly choose to not season the frozen tater tots before air frying. No judgment here!
If you do want to add some pep to the tots, there is really no limit to the different seasoning blends you can use! Here are a few ideas to get you going:
- Lemon pepper seasoning – a slightly sour and bold blend, great to pair with fish main dishes
- Old Bay – everyone’s favorite seafood spice blend
- Tajin – a classic Mexican spice blend that is made with lime and peppers
- Creole or blackened seasoning – for a slightly spicy batch of tater tots
- Adobo seasoning – gives the snacks a savory, almost smoky flavor
- Ranch seasoning – from the classic packet we all know and love
Or any Montreal salted seasoning blend!
How to Cook Tater Tots in Air Fryer
First, preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
Set out a mixing bowl. Place the frozen tater tots in the bowl, and drizzle olive oil over the top.
Toss well. Then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of your favorite salted seasoning blend. Toss again to coat in seasoning.
Spread the tater tots across the bottom of the air fryer basket in an even layer. Be careful that they do not overlap!
Get the Complete (Printable) Air Fryer Tater Tots Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Air fry for 6 minutes. Then gently shake the basket, and air fry for another 3 to 5 minutes.
When they are perfectly golden and crunchy, transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate.
Keep the tater tots in a warming drawer or in the oven on low heat if making multiple batches.
What to Serve with Tater Tots
Air Fryer tots are delicious to enjoy with ketchup or barbecue sauce. Or match the dipping sauce with your seasoning blend for a more “elevated” snack or side dish. A few of our favorite sauces include:
Enjoy on their own for a snack, or as a side with classic American comfort foods!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have to thaw frozen tater tots before air frying?
Nope! They go straight from the freezer to the air fryer.
How long to air fryer tater tots?
Fry them for a total of 9-11 minutes, with a shake a little over halfway through.
Are Air Fried Tater Tots healthy?
They are healthier than deep frying. However, even in the air fryer, I would not call tater tots healthy. Like most frozen snacks there does tend to be a good bit of fat, calories, and sodium in each serving. So enjoy in moderation!
Looking for More Easy Air Fryer Recipes? Be Sure to Also Try:
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
- Homemade Onion Rings in Air Fryer
- Halloumi Fries (Air Fryer or Baked)
- Air Fryer Okra (Fries and Breaded)
- Crispy Air Fryer Toasted Ravioli
The Best Air Fryer Tater Tots
- 16 ounces frozen tater tots
- 2 teaspoon olive oil or canola, avocado, or grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt Cajun, Tajin, Adobo, Old Bay, Montreal
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Set out a mixing bowl. Place the frozen tater tots in the bowl, and drizzle olive oil over the top. Toss well. Then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of your favorite salted seasoning blend. Toss again to coat in seasoning.
- Spread the tater tots across the bottom of the air fryer basket in an even layer.
- Air fry for 6 minutes. Then gently shake the basket, and air fry for another 3 to 5 minutes, until golden and crispy. Serve warm.