Best Air Fryer Hot Dogs
Why We Love This Air Fryer Recipe
So, hot dogs… It feels a little weird sharing a hot dog recipe. After all, you can drop them in boiling water, put them in the microwave, grill them, bake them, sizzle them in a skillet, the list goes on. I mean, seriously, there are so many easy ways to cook hot dogs, and on top of that, they’re technically already cooked!
However, if you are an air fryer super fan (I’ve got my hand up) air frying hotdogs is the best method for you! This Air Fryer Hot Dogs recipe is quick and easy to make dogs that have a fabulous tender texture on the inside and are slightly crisp on the outside.
They’re ready in less than 10 minutes and require very little prep and cleanup. Bonus: You can even toast the buns in the air fryer, too. We give this method two thumbs up!
Ingredients You Need
- Sausages – hot dogs, Polish sausages, bratwurst – even meatless vegan dogs!
- Hot dog buns – classic or gluten-free
- Toppings – keep reading for some tasty ideas
How to Make Air Fryer Hot Dogs
Set out four hotdogs. Score the tops of the hot dogs just barely cutting through the skin. Make sure not to cut too deep or they will break in half in the air fryer.
Place the hotdogs in the air fryer basket. Set the air fryer at 400°F and set the timer for 5-6 minutes.
Note: You can set the shake button, to shake the hotdogs in the middle of the cooking time, but it’s not really necessary.
Once the timer goes off, place each hot dog in a hotdog bun. Set the buns back in the air fryer basket and set the timer for 1-2 minutes to toast the buns.
Get the Complete (Printable) Best Air Fryer Hot Dogs Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Best Hot Dog Toppings
Of course, you can’t go wrong with classic hotdog toppings like ketchup, yellow mustard, diced white onion, and relish!
But if you are feeling a bit more adventurous (no pressure!), you might consider adding any of these tasty extra goodies:
- Pickled Red Onions
- Fresh slices or homemade Pickled Jalapenos
- Avocado slices
- Shredded cheese
- Shredded lettuce or fresh cabbage
- Slices tomatoes
- BBQ sauce
- Cooked and crumbled bacon
- Mustard – spicy, dijon, and stoneground mustards are all delicious
These air fryer hot dogs are also a fabulous base to make a loaded Chili Cheese Dog or a few of our other ‘dog delicious recipes:
- Nacho Hot Dogs
- Hawaiian Hot Dogs with Mango Salsa
- Summer Garden Dogs
- Southern Comfort Dogs
- Choripan Argentino (Chorizo Sandwich)
Pair freshly air-fried hot dogs with potato chips or any of your favorite crunchy/salty snacks for a quick lunch or fun dinner. But if we’ve got the time, we love to eat hotdogs with homemade french fries! Julienne-cut Shoestring French Fries, Cajun Fries, and thick Potato Wedges (also made in the air fryer!) are in regular rotation at our home.
Serve classic cookout-style dogs at summer parties, barbecues, game day gatherings, picnics, or other casual get-togethers… We’ve got your sides covered! Try these crowd-pleasing side dishes:
- Classic style or Deviled Egg Potato Salad
- Hawaiian Macaroni Salad or our reader-favorite Best Macaroni Salad
- Instant Pot Baked Beans
- Southern Coleslaw
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
Frequently Asked Questions
The hot dogs themselves only need 5-6 minutes. They’re then placed in buns and air fried for another minute or two to toast.
Totally your preference! This air fryer recipe takes less than 10 minutes, whereas baking requires 15-20 minutes. We also like that the air fryer doesn’t heat up the kitchen quite like a hot oven does.
It only takes a few minutes – up to 5 minutes, max – for the fryer to preheat.
Cool the cooked dogs at room temperature. Then transfer them to an airtight container and keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Looking for More Easy Air Fryer Recipes? Be Sure to Also Try:
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken with Herbs
- Air Fryer Cheese Curds
- Crispy Air Fryer Toasted Ravioli
- Frozen Salmon in Air Fryer
- How to Reheat Pizza (and Everything Else!) in the Air Fryer
Best Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- Preferred toppings *see notes below for some tasty ideas
- Set out four hotdogs. Score the tops of the hot dogs just barely cutting through the skin. Make sure not to cut too deep or they will break in half in the air fryer.
- Place the hotdogs in the air fryer basket. Set the air fryer at 400°F and set the timer on 5-6 minutes. (You can set the shake button, to shake the hotdogs in the middle of the cooking time, but it’s not really necessary.)
- Once the timer goes off, place each hot dog in a hotdog bun. Set the buns back in the air fryer basket and set the timer for 1-2 minutes to toast the buns. Serve the hotdogs HOT, with your favorite condiments.