Nothing says summer like corn on the cob on the grill. The sweet kernels bursting with crisp starchy juice, the little bits of charred skin, and the deep smokey flavor tastes of summer memories I long to relive.
Grilled corn is the perfect platform on which to experiment with flavors. Who says you have to stick with plain old butter?
Grilled Corn with Smokey Lime Mayo is a new favorite in our family. A gutzy blend of hot smoked paprika, lime zest and MAYONNAISE make for an unexpected treat. The rich creamy mayonnaise bonds the smokey paprika and lime to the corn and offers intense complexity. Who knew mayonnaise could make such a difference?!?
Grilling corn isn’t tricky, but it does seem to be something many people are afraid to try. Let’s discuss the dos and don’ts of corn on the cob on the grill.
How to Grill Corn:
- Don’t worry about under-cooking. If your corn is fresh and “in season” it can be eaten raw. Warming it, should be your focus.
- Do be mindful of overcooking. The longer you cook the corn, the more dry and rubbery it becomes. Again, simply warm the corn.
- Don’t worry about the husks. Leave them on, peel them back, or tear them off. All methods are acceptable.
- Do try using the husks as a handle. As stated above, all methods are fine, but pulling the husks back and tying them together provides an attractive natural handle and allows the kernels to get a little char for appearance and flavor.
- Don’t crank up the heat too much. Medium is fine to WARM the corn and provide a little color.
- Do slather on the flavor while the corn in grilling. That gives it time to work its magic.
- Don’t grill your corn too early. Corn hot off the grill tastes the best.
- Do grill corn again and again. It’s aromatic, delicious, and a real crowd-pleaser.
For Grilled Corn with Smokey Lime Mayo:
Mix the mayonnaise, lime zest and juice, honey, salt and hot smoked paprika in a bowl.
Place the corn on the cob on the grill with the husks hanging off and cook for 2 minutes. Rotate and brush with the smokey lime mayo until in has warmed and charred on all sides, 8-10 minutes.
Grilled Corn with Smokey Lime Mayo
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:10 minutes
8-10 ears of corn, husked pulled back and tied with kitchen twine
1/3 cup mayonnaise
Zest of one lime
1 Tb. Lime juice
1 ½ Tb. honey
1 tsp. hot smoked paprika
½ tsp. salt
Prepare the grill to medium heat and prepare the corn cobs.
Combine the rest of the ingredient in a small bowl. Whisk well.
Place the corn on the grill with the husks hanging off.
Turn and brush the mayonnaise mixture on the corn until it is cooked on all sides, 8-10 minutes total.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!