Quick Pickled Red Onions
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
We all have those reliable go-to dishes that we love. Recipes that we no longer need a recipe for because we’ve made them so many times; true comfort meals that are consistently predictable.
Aren’t those great?
But… Don’t you also sometimes want to add some serious pep to that comforting predictability?
Our easy Quick Pickled Red Onions recipe is perfect for topping your favorite foods with bright, bold, and tangy flavor that won’t overpower the dish you know and adore.
Today I am showing you how to make the BEST pickled onions in about 30 minutes and with just 5 simple ingredients!
Easy Pickled Red Onions
If your go-to meal could use a bit of perky acidity and texture, this Pickled Red Onions recipe is exactly what you need.
They are a fabulous tangy-sweet complement for everything from barbecue plates and tacos, to Indian curries and stews. Kept cold in the fridge for up to two weeks, pickled onions add refreshing bite to nearly any dish that’s hot or cold.
Get ready to enjoy a ridiculously easy condiment that will elevate all of your favorite recipes!
5-Ingredient Pickled Onions (Refrigerator Pickles!)
If you have been intimidated to try a home pickling recipe because of the possibly daunting list of ingredients and steps, think again and give this easy “refrigerator pickle” recipe a try!
These quick pickling onions requires only 5 simple ingredients and a few easy steps.
Here is everything that you need:
- Red onion
- Hot water – not boiling
- Apple cider vinegar
- Sugar or honey
Apple cider vinegar will provide a lovely slightly-sweet flavor, but you can substitute rice wine vinegar for a milder taste.
How to Make Quick Pickled Red Onions
1. First, prep the red onions by peeling and slicing into 1/8th inch rounds.
2. Find a glass jar or airtight container that is large enough to hold the sliced red onions and liquid.
3. Next, pour the hot water into the large container and stir in the sugar or honey, and salt. Stir until the sugar and salt dissolve. Then stir in the apple cider vinegar.
Get the Complete (Printable) Quick Pickled Red Onions Recipe Below. Enjoy!
4. Lastly, add the red onion slices and press them down to make sure that they are completely submerged in the pickling liquid. Let the onions soak and “pickle” in the liquid for at least 30 minutes. The longer they sit, the softer and more tangy the onions will be.
After 30 minutes you can serve, or cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Sealed in an airtight container the Pickled Red Onions will keep well in the fridge for up to two weeks.
What Can You Put Pickled Red Onions On?
Cold and crunchy right from the fridge, onions also add delicious depth to roasted dishes like Roasted Indian Fish with Creamy Curried Cauliflower and hearty stews, chilis, and curries!
Can I Use Other Onions to Make this Pickled Onions Recipe?
You can! Try this recipe with sweet white onions and white vinegar for a tasty dish with lots of tangy bite.
Looking for More Easy and Delicious Condiment Recipes?
- Best Homemade Refrigerator Pickles
- Easy Guacamole Recipe
- How to Make the Best Tzatziki Sauce
- Southern Comeback Sauce
- How to Make Herb Infused Honey
Quick Pickled Red Onions Recipe
- Peel and slice the onion into 1/8th inch rounds.
- Find a glass jar or airtight container, that is large enough to hold the sliced onions and liquid.
- Pour the hot water into the container and stir in the sugar or honey, and salt. Stir until it dissolves. Then stir in the vinegar.
- Add the onions slices and press them down to make sure they are submerged. Let the onions soak and “pickle” in the liquid for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve, or cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!