Frozen Salmon in Air Fryer (with Skin)
Why We Love This Easy Air Fryer Salmon Recipe
By now you either love your air fryer or you really love your air fryer. And it’s not hard to see why! These countertop wonder machines are great to quickly cook your favorite foods, while also keeping the oven free.
Another fabulous feature of the air fryer is its ability to “fry” frozen foods in only a matter of minutes… Including skin-on salmon! That’s right, there is no need to defrost most meats – including seafood – before air frying to golden, slightly crisp, and mouthwateringly tender perfection.
Seriously, this Frozen Salmon Air Fryer recipe is the easiest and most flavorful way to make salmon fillets, even if they come straight out of the freezer! They’re brushed with a simple and delicious honey, lemon, and spices blend, and from start to finish are ready to enjoy in less than 20 minutes. Pair them with nearly any side dish for a satisfying dinner any night of the week.
- Salmon filets – frozen or fresh, with skin
- Honey – preferably the real stuff
- Olive oil – or other high heat and neutral-flavored oil
- Lemon juice – freshly squeezed
- Seasonings – salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder, dried or fresh dill
How to Cook Air Fry Salmon with Skin
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Allow it to run for several minutes while you prep the salmon fillets.
Set out a small bowl. Mix together the honey, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dill. Set aside.
Steps to Cook Frozen Salmon in the Air Fryer:
- Place the salmon fillets in the air fryer basket close and air fry for 6 minutes.
- Open the air fryer and brush the glaze over the top of the salmon fillets.
- Then close the air fryer and fry again for 6-8 minutes.
Steps to Cook Defrosted or Fresh Salmon in Air Fryer:
- Place the fresh salmon fillets in the air fryer.
- Brush the glaze over the top.
- Close the air fryer and set the timer for 5 to 8 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillets.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- If you prefer not to get the bottom of the air fryer basket dirty, you can place a piece of foil in the basket before adding the salmon fillets. This really helps with cleanup!
- This recipe uses a blend of black pepper, garlic, and dill. However, you can definitely use other spices and spice blends! Try with homemade Blackened Seasoning or Adobo Seasoning, lemon pepper seasoning, or any seasoning combo you like.
- Take care that you don’t overcook the fillets. Start with the lowest end of the cook time range, and check for doneness before adding more time. Perfectly cooked salmon will be slightly firm and flaky, with still a bit of pinkness in the center. The fish is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F.
- Don’t want to air fry? No problem! We have fantastic recipes for How to Grill Salmon and Broiled Salmon with Garlic Herb Butter.
What to Serve with Air Fried Salmon
Garnish salmon with a slice of lemon wedge, and serve with your favorite seafood-friendly sides.
Frequently Asked Questions
What temperature should I set my air fryer for salmon?
Se the air fryer to 400°F for frozen or fresh salmon with skin.
How long should I leave my salmon in the air fryer?
Frozen salmon needs to cook for 12-14 minutes. Fresh salmon only cooks for about 5-8 minutes.
Do you have to flip salmon in the air fryer?
Nope! The fish is placed skin-side down in the air fryer basket and left alone until done.
How long does leftover salmon last?
Leftover air fryer salmon will keep well for up to 3 days stored in an airtight container and kept in the fridge. Previously frozen salmon should not be frozen again once cooked.
Want to mix things up? also try with…
- Sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger, and garlic
- Lemon, smoked paprika, cajun seasoning, and parsley
- Italian seasoning, garlic, and crushed red pepper
Looking for More Easy Air Fryer Recipes?
- Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin
- Crispy Air Fryer Toasted Ravioli
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets (Gluten Free!)
- How to Reheat Pizza (and Everything Else!)
- Air Fryer Everything Bagel Chicken Roll Ups
How to Cook Frozen Salmon in Air Fryer (with Skin)
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Allow it to run several minutes while you prep the salmon fillets.
- Set out a small bowl. Mix together the honey, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dill. Set aside.
- Frozen salmon in the air fryer: place the salmon fillets in the air fryer basket close and air fry for 6 minutes. Open the air fryer and brush the glaze over the top of the salmon fillets. Then close the air fryer and fry again for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Fresh salmon in the air fryer: place the fresh salmon fillets in the air fryer. Brush the glaze over the top. Close the air fryer and set the timer for 5 to 8 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillets.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!