Our idea of The Best Lemon Bars, with bold tangy appeal!
Little squares of pure sunshine… That’s what I’ve got for you today.
I’m sharing what we think is The Best Lemon Bars Recipe in the whole wide world!
Lemon bars are a treat I treasure intensely. I’m crazy over the buttery crust, and the tart custard filling. Together they make a delicately balanced dessert that is great for any occasion.
Every time I make them, I secretly want to keep them all for myself.
“The Best Lemon Bars” recipe is my personal favorite variation. The bright flavor comes from Meyer lemon juice and zest, and just the right amount of sugar to create a tangy-sweet sensation.
Meyer lemons have a unique lemon essence. They are slightly less acidic than standard lemons, with a light floral after taste. If you can’t find them, it’s ok to use regular lemons.
My surprise ingredient is a layer of white chocolate chips pressed into the crust. The little pops of sweet creamy white chocolate are a lovely contrast to the acidic citrus layer.
Just press them into The Best Lemon Bars crust, then pour the filling over the top.
After baking, let The Best Lemon Bars cool completely before cutting.
Then slice them into squares or rectangular bars, and sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar.
Once you taste The Best Lemon Bars, you will understand the intrigue.
Hand-held happiness you can sink your teeth into!
The Best Lemon Bars
Yield: 24-36 bars
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:40 minutes
The Best Lemon Bars Recipe Ever! Soft luxurious lemon bars with a bright zippy flavor and soft cookie base. Truly the best lemon squares recipes we’ve ever tried!
For the Crust:
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour (or 2 cups all purpose flour + 1/4 cup cornstarch)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
For the Filling:
- 4 large eggs
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup flour (cake or all purpose)
- Zest of 2 Meyer lemons
- 2/3 cup fresh squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 X 13 inch baking dish with foil or parchment paper.
- For the Crust: Pour cake flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor (or stand mixer.) Pulse in the vanilla extract and melted butter until the mixture is soft and crumbly. Dump the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Press the crumbs into an even layer. Then sprinkle the white chocolate chips over the crust and press them into the dough. Bake the crust for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, zest the lemons, making sure not to zest too deeply. You only want the yellow flesh, not the white bitter skin below. Place the eggs, sugar, flour, lemon zest, lemon juice, and milk in a bowl. Whisk well to combine. Then pour the filling over the baked crust.
- Bake for another 20-25 minutes, until the filling is set in the center. Cool to room temperature. Then lift the entire sheet of bars out of the pan by the edges of the foil and cut into pieces. *You can sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar if you like!
NOTE: You can leave the bars out at room temperature for up to three days, or refrigerate for up to 10 days.
Yield: 24-36 bars, Serving Size: 36
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 113 Calories
- Total Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Sodium: 105mg
- Carbohydrates: 15.8g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sugar: 13.7g
- Protein: 1.3g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!