Copycat Chick Fil A Nuggets and Sauce Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Copycat Chick Fil A Nugget and Copycat Chick Fil A Sauce Recipe – This is the perfect crowd-pleaser for parties; you have got to try this!
Copycat Recipes For the Win
Chick-fil-A. It’s the one fast food joint my kids can talk me into going on a somewhat regular basis.
If we’re running errands and starving, I can’t say no to the thought of hot, crispy, perfectly seasoned chicken chunks with tangy Chick-fil-A Sauce… Oh, and an ice-cold lemonade.
What is it about those darn chicken nuggets that make them so irresistible? To me, it’s the simplicity of the flavor, combined with the contrast of crunchy breading and juicy little morsels of chicken.
I was determined to find out what exactly makes Chick-Fil-A chicken nuggets taste so tantalizing.
Rather than getting a part-time job as an undercover fry cook, I did a lot of googling and asking around. You wouldn’t believe how many people have worked at Chick-Fil-A in the past!
Copycat Chick Fil A Nuggets Recipe Tips
Here are the tips I collected for making a perfect Homemade Chick Fil A Nuggets and Chick Fil A Sauce Recipe…
- Brine the chicken chunks in pickle juice. This helps give the chicken flavor, and its ultra-moist texture.
- Season the flour mixture heavily. Don’t worry about there being too much salt or seasoning in the flour. Most of it gets shaken off anyway.
- Double-dip the chicken. Chicken needs two layers of flour, with egg wash in between, in order to properly crust the chicken and give it a crunchy coating. The first layer of flour should be very thin. Once wet, it acts as the glue that holds the second layer of flour to the chicken chunks.
- Let the chicken rest before frying. One former Chick-Fil-A cook said that the longer the chicken sits between coating and frying, the better. Allowing the breaded chicken some rest time helps the breading hold tight to the chicken, not bubble, and fall off. By double-dipping all the pieces and placing them on a drying rack before heating the oil, you give the chicken and breading time to become one, so to speak.
- Create nooks and crannies. Another secret Chick-Fil-A trick is to add a little bit of the egg wash to the flour mixture before the second dredge. By mixing the egg wash into the flour with your fingers, you create tiny crumbs that will hold onto the chicken in the second dunk.
- Fry in peanut oil. Peanut oil helps give Chick-fil-A nuggets their special flavor and texture. If you have a nut allergy, feel free to use canola oil. However, Chick-Fil-A insists their peanut oil is specially refined to remove nut proteins and therefore is allergen-free.
- Dip in Chick-Fil-A Sauce! It’s not just the chicken, but the sauce as well, that makes Chick-Fil-A so great. Guess what, you can make your own at home!
Today’s Homemade Chick Fil A Nuggets and Sauce Recipe are as close to the original as I could possibly make them. These little guys are crispy, juicy, and utterly irresistible.
You can save a bundle on party platters by making several batches of this Chick Fil A Nugget and Homemade Chick Fil A Sauce Recipe for your events. Your guests will never know the difference… Unless you tell them!
Recipe’s Ingredients You Need
For the Copycat Chick-Fil-A Nuggets:
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- dill pickle juice
- granulated sugar
- all-purpose flour
- garlic powder
- ground black pepper
- peanut oil or canola oil
For the Copycat Chick-Fil-A Sauce:
- mayonnaise (or low-fat mayo)
- yellow mustard
- barbecue sauce
- lemon juice
How To Make Chick Fil A Nuggets At Home
The recipe card below will have more detailed instructions, but I will put the basic instructions here:
- Cut the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces.
- Soak the chicken pieces in warm pickle juice for at least 30 minutes. (This is the secret ingredient)
- Prep the dry dredge mixture.
- Drain out the pickle brine and dunk the chicken in the dry mixture. Coat them thin and place them on cooling racks. Coat all the pieces before moving on.
- Prep the egg wash mixture. Add a little to the dry mixture for added texture.
- Dunk the chicken in the wet mixture and dunk in the dry mixture for a second time. Coat all the nuggets and place them on the drying rack.
- Set the oil in a pot on medium to medium-high heat until a thermometer reads 350 degrees F.
- Place ⅓ of the chicken nuggets in the oil to fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Skim them out and let them dry on a paper towel-lined plate, wait for the oil to come back to temperature, and finish the other ⅔ of the chicken.
- Once all the nuggets are cooked, serve them warm with a side of the Copycat Chick Fil A Sauce Recipe!
How To Make Chick Fil A Sauce
- Set out a small bowl.
- Measure the mayonnaise, honey, yellow mustard, barbecue sauce, and lemon juice into the bowl.
- Mix until smooth.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
Get The Full (Printable) Recipe Below For How To Make Copycat Chick Fil A Nuggets and Copycat Chick Fil A Sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do these nuggets last?
If they are stored properly in an airtight container these leftovers can last in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.
Can I use vegetable oil instead of peanut oil?
Yes, you can use any high-heat flavorless oil for frying.
Any suggestions on reheating these?
Place the chicken nuggets recipe in a warm oven for a few minutes to reheat. About 5-10 minutes at 350 degrees F. Or you can toss these in the air fryer for 5-7 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Can you be more specific about barbecue sauce as there are many variations?
Of course! Go with a sweet tomato-based “southern style” bbq sauce like Stubbs.
What Else Can I Use For Dipping Sauce?
If you are not a fan of traditional Chick Fil A Sauce, dip the nuggets in honey mustard, classic barbecue sauce, Polynesian sauce, or even ranch dressing!
Other Copycat Recipes on my Website
- Homemade Yum Yum Sauce (Shrimp Sauce)
- Homemade Cocktail Sauce
- How to Make the Best Tzatziki Sauce
- Panda Express Super Greens
- Homemade Schlotzsky’s Sourdough Bread
- Smoothie King Caribbean Way Smoothie
- Also, try these Grilled Chick fil a Nuggets Recipe by girlscangrill.com
Check the printable recipe card below for the prep time, cook time, and nutrition information Including calories, protein, cholesterol, and sodium percentages.
CopyCat Chick Fil A Nugget and Sauce Recipe
For the Chick-fil-A Nuggets:
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup dill pickle juice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 quart peanut oil, or canola oil
For the Chick-Fil-A Sauce:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks. Warm the pickle juice in the microwave, in a microwave-safe bowl, until hot to the touch. Stir in the sugar until completely dissolved. Add the chicken chunks and allow them to soak for at least 30 minutes, or overnight. Place in the refrigerator while brining.
- For the Sauce: Mix all ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once the chicken has brined in the pickle juice, mix the flour, salt, cornstarch, paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper in a medium bowl. Drain off the pickle juice. Set out a drying/cooling rack and dredge the chicken chunks in the flour. Shake off all excess flour so the coating is very thin. Lay the chicken on the rack. Coat all the chicken pieces before moving on.
- Next beat the milk and eggs in a separate bowl. Pour 2 tablespooons of eggwash in the remaining flour mix and work it into little pebbles with your fingers. Dunk the chicken chunks in the eggwash, then dip them back into the flour mixture. Shake off the excess flour and lay them back on the drying rack.
- Once all the chicken is double-dipped in the flour mixture, pour the oil in a large sauce pot. Turn the heat on medium to medium-high. Place a clip-on thermometer on the side of the pot and bring the temperature up to 350 degrees F.
- Once the oil is ready, gently place one-third of the chicken chunks to the hot oil. Stir once, and fry for 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Use a spider skimmer to scoop the chicken pieces out of the oil. Place them on a paper towel lined plate. Cut one large piece open to make sure it's cooked through.
- Allow the temperature to rise back to 350 degrees. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces two more times. You can keep the fried chicken pieces warm in a 200 degree F oven if you like. Once all the chicken is cooked, serve warm with Chick-fil-A Sauce.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
We loved this recipe so much especially my kids, they said it’s so good that they requested for me to make it again this weekend!
This copycat Chick Fil A Nugget and sauce are better than store-bought! They were a hit! The nuggets are so tender and packed with flavors. Plus the sauce is a winner!
wow, this recipe is so much easier than I thought it would be and it tastes fantastic! thank you for sharing this recipe
We get Chick-Fil-A more often than I care to admit, and I must say, these were SPOT ON! My kids couldn’t believe I made them myself. I think the pickle juice was key!
Hi Sommer I m was wondering if you can freeze them and if you can how is the best way thank you
Yes, you can! I would flash freeze them on a baking sheet for one hour, then move them to a freezer bag or storage container to store long-term i the freezer. That way, they are easy to pull out, without sticking together.
These copycat Chic-Fil-A ‘nugs are the best! My whole family loves them- even my picky husband! Thanks for a fabulous recipe!
We love this recipe and make it often
I don’t know if I added too much pickle juice but the pickle juice took over the chicken. But overall it was good.
Can you use olive oil?
I wouldn’t use olive oil for frying, because it usually leaves a strong flavor in the breading. However, you can use canola oil, vegetable oil, avocado oil, grapeseed oil… Any high heat oil with little to no flavor.
Crispy and Yummy 😋 nice recipe.
This is our favorite sauce and I want to put it on everything!
This is a winner! The flavors were spot on!
This was a huge hit at my house!! Everyone loved it!
The recipes that I have been waiting for and needing on a Sunday!
I just bought an air fryer due to health issues we both have. Have you tried doing these in an air fryer. Last time I made them I tried baking them. They didn’t bake well and I ended up finishing them in hot oil. They were still amazing and the sauce is out of this world. I would like to make them again, but need to air fry them.
I feel like there may be a little horseradish in Chick-Fil-A sauce. Many of your recipes look and sound so delicious. I am def going to try them.
I just made these! Oh my gosh…they were AMAZING and the sauce was delicious. I used sunflower oil because it was that or olive oil and it was super yummy. Thanks for the recipe, I can’t wait to make this again! :)
Can we use vegetable oil instead ?
Yes, you can use any high-heat flavorless oil for frying. :)
Delicious! My son loved these and asked how I made them – I explained and sent him this link! :)
Thanks for all the great recipes Sommer!
You’re the best!
My son was born and raised eatting these regularly in New Orleans until age 7 when we moved to England. We’re still living abroad and very recently talked about how much he missed and loved Chick-fil-A . With your help, I’ll bring this dream to life. Thank you so very much for sharing!
So glad to help. Let me know how they turn out! :)
My mouth was watering just looking at this cooking and I was even more impressed after eating this masterpiece. Bravo bravo bravo
These are so good! Any suggestions on reheating? And your baked pickles are perfect with this recipe. Uses the whole jar that way :)
I’m so glad you like them! I would just pop the nuggets in a warm oven for a few minutes to reheat. Maybe 5-10 minutes at 350?
These are even better tha Chi-fi-a! Mostly because you can make them at home. I can’t say how much I love this recipe! It’s the best chicken nugget recipe ever!
Sommer, Thanks for this awesome recipe! I only followed it half-way so far, that is, I did the brining overnight… Then because of time I baked them (dipped in butter, then breadcrumbs mixed with parm cheese, salt & pepper). I WILL deep fry them for the full Chic-Fil-A experience, but WOW, they were so delicious. I love the sweet dill flavor! Best chicken nuggets I’ve ever had (and my first time brining). THANK YOU!
Yah, this needs to happen ASAP!
These look just like the Chick Fil A chicken nuggets. We have no Chick-Fil-As close by so this is the perfect substitute
Can you be more specific about barbecue sauce as there are many variations.
Of course! Go with a sweet tomato based “southern style” barbecue sauce like Stubbs.
Oh my was that recipe spot on. My kid thought I was a rock star when I made this for dinner! Thanks so much.
YAY!! I’m so glad you liked it. My kids feel the same way! :)
My mouth is watering just thinking about these! Those nuggets are delicious, and I’m so thankful for this recreation!
My boys will go crazy for this!
Wow! this looks awesome! My kids would freak out!
Love this homemade version and my boys will too!