Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets (Gluten Free)
Homemade Chicken Nuggets in the Air Fryer – This simple chicken nugget recipe is crunchy on the outside, juicy on the inside, and light on the hips!
Finding ways to lighten comfort foods, which are usually off-limits during diet season, is a secret joy of mine.
After all good food makes life worth living… Even when we are watching our weight.
Chicken Nuggets in the Air Fryer
This last year I have been experimenting with these sort of alterations using an air fryer.
Take french fries for instance. You can make them in the oven, to significantly reduce the amount of oil used, and they are much better for you than deep-fried fries.
However, you can also make them in an air fryer with little to no oil at all, in half the time! It’s actually quite amazing.
My daughter has become sensitive to gluten in the last year. So many of my comfort-cooking endeavors include gluten-free flour.
Today I thought it would be fun to share a family friendly recipe that is not only lower in fat and carbs, but gluten free as well!
What Ingredients You Will Need
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 packet gluten-free ranch dressing mix (1 tablespoon powder)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free baking flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or melted butter)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2/3 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
A Must-Have Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets Recipe
These easy homemade chicken nuggets are made just for the air fryer, with less fat than you would need in a deep fryer or even in the oven.
The preparation steps include a three-dip process including…
- Gluten-free baking flour and ranch dressing mix for seasoning. (Most brands of ranch dip powder are gluten-free, but double-check!)
- Oil (or butter) and milk – These two items mixed together create the bond between the chicken and the breading.
- Gluten-free bread crumbs – For the crisp outer coating.
The little bit of fat holding the floured chicken pieces and the bread crumbs together, circulates in the air fryer giving the chicken pieces a crunchy coating on all sides!
How to Make Homemade Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
So how do you do it?
- Simply dunk the chicken pieces three times: flour, liquid, then bread crumbs.
- Then lay them in a single layer in the air fryer.
- “Fry” the chicken pieces for approximately 7 minutes.
Cut the chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes. Set out three bowls. Bowl 1: Combine the powdered ranch dressing mix and gluten-free baking mix. Bowl 2: Mix the oil and milk together, and whisk well. Bowl 3: Place the gluten-free bread crumbs in the third bowl.
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
Work in two batches. Dip half the chicken pieces in the gluten-free baking mix. Then dunk them in the oil and milk mixture. Finally, dip the pieces in the gluten-free bread crumbs.
Lay the chicken nuggets in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook for 7 minutes.
Remove from the air fryer tray and repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets Recipe Tips
- It’s important to note that air fryers work best when the food cooking is in a single layer. So when feeding more than 2-3 people you will need to cook the nuggets in small batches.
- How Long To Cook Chicken Nuggets In The Air Fryer? About 7 minutes. It’s also important to remember that all air fryer brands are a little different, so the cooking time may vary a minute or two.
- Not gluten free? You can make this recipe using traditional wheat flour and bread crumbs.
- Want to spice things up? You can omit the ranch dressing mix and add your own combination of spices. Just don’t forget to add salt!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 to 6 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serve with some of your favorite dipping sauces: ranch, ketchup, bbq, or honey mustard
More Healthy Recipes You Will Love:
- Keto Egg Roll Wraps
- Baked Sweet Potato Chips
- Breakfast Oat Bar Recipe
- Paleo Chinese Dumplings
- Magic Plantain Tortillas
- Brazilian Chopped Salad
Other Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Mushrooms (Breaded)
- Crispy Air Fryer Toasted Ravioli
- Halloumi Fries (Air Fryer or Baked)
- Homemade Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- The Best Air Fryer Tater Tots
- Air Fry Cheese Curds
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
- Asparagus with Spicy Garlic Butter
- Everything Bagel Chicken Roll-Ups
Check the printable recipe card below for the prep time, cook time, total time, and Nutrition information including calories, carbohydrates, protein, saturated fat, cholesterol, sodium, potassium, fiber, vitamin c, and calcium percentages. Make sure to share this recipe on facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes. Set out three bowls. Bowl 1: Combine the powdered ranch dressing mix and gluten free baking mix. Bowl 2: Mix the oil and milk together, whisk well. Bowl 3: Place the gluten free bread crumbs in the third bowl.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Work in two batches. Dip half the chicken pieces in the gluten free baking mix. Then dunk them in the oil and milk mixture. Finally dip the pieces in the gluten free bread crumbs.
- Lay the chicken nuggets in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook for 7 minutes.
- Remove from the basket and repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.