Zesty Ground Turkey Tacos (or Ground Chicken Tacos)
Hands up if you love tacos!
Tacos are basically held parties. Tasty tortillas loaded with a savory filling and fresh toppings are exciting for the whole family. Each bite includes a bit of everything and is utterly satisfying while still making you want more.
We wanted to share an easy taco filling recipe, something lighter and leaner than standard ground beef tacos, but still packs BIG flavor. Because let’s be honest – one taco is never enough…
So we swapped the red meat for healthier ground turkey! Not only does using ground turkey (or chicken!) cut the fat and calories, you still get a great serving of protein without losing any of that crave-worthy classic taco meat flavor you know and love.
The Best Ground Turkey (or Ground Chicken!) Tacos
Our wonderfully simple, ridiculously easy recipe for the best, most savory, and tasty Ground Turkey Tacos (or Ground Chicken Tacos) is sure to please the whole family. Make it for a quick weeknight meal or a nearly effortless weekend dinner.
However you choose to enjoy this flavorful ground turkey taco meat, rest assured you are making the right decision.
Ingredients You Need
There are only 10 wholesome ingredients needed to make the best healthy turkey or chicken tacos recipe from scratch:
- Oil – or butter
- Onion – peeled and chopped
- Garlic – minced
- Cilantro – chopped
- Ground turkey – or ground chicken!
- Seasonings – ancho chile powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, salt
- Tomato paste – jarred or canned
Plus your favorite tortillas and taco toppings!
How to Make The Best Ground Turkey Taco Meat (with Turkey or Chicken!)
Ground chicken or turkey taco meat is perfect to make ahead and enjoy for a quick dinner and/or your weekly meal prep plan. It’s an easy recipe that requires just 3 simple steps and is ready in only about 15 minutes.
- First, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic, and most of the cilantro. Saute for a few minutes, until the onions become a bit soft.
- Then add the ground turkey or chicken, along with the spices and tomato paste.
- Brown the meat as you stir continuously, combining the tomato paste and seasonings with the ground turkey. Cook through until the meat has crumbled and is no longer pink.
Serve warm in tortillas, on taco salads, or use healthy ground turkey taco meat to make delicious burritos or enchiladas.
Get the Complete (Printable) Ground Turkey or Ground Chicken Tacos Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Load healthy turkey or chicken tacos with chopped fresh cilantro, diced onions, zesty salsa, sour cream or Greek yogurt, crumbled cotija or shredded cheddar cheese – or any goodies you love!
Definitely! Once the ground chicken or turkey has cooled, transfer to a sealed container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Use in your meal preps, or enjoy quick lunches or easy dinners through the week.
Let the taco meat cool and put in an airtight and freezer-safe container. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months, and defrost in the fridge overnight before reheating in a skillet or microwave.
Looking for More Easy and Delicious Taco Recipes?
- Chicken Tinga Tacos (Instant Pot & Stovetop)
- 2-Ingredient Crock Pot Taco Meat
- Tacos al Pastor Recipe
- Green Chile Steak Tacos
- Instant Pot Perfect Carnitas
Zesty Ground Turkey Tacos (or Ground Chicken Tacos!)
- 2 tablespoons oil or butter
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 5-6 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 pounds ground turkey or ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon ground smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 16 Flour, corn, or low carb tortillas
- Possible Garnishes: Pico de gallo salsa, avocado, guacamole, Cotija cheese, limes
- Set a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the oil. Once hot, add in the chopped onion, garlic, and cilantro. Sauté for 3-4 minutes to soften the onions.
- Then add in the ground turkey (or ground chicken) along with the ancho chile, cumin, paprika, salt, and tomato paste.
- Stir and break the ground meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Continue to cook and brown the taco meat for 5-7 minutes.
- Once the taco meat is cooked through, spoon it into tortillas and garnish with your favorite taco toppings.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!