Keto Taco Stuffed Peppers
Isn’t dinner just better when served in a pepper? I’m sure I’ve read that somewhere…
We love making all sorts of stuffed pepper variations, like Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers, Paella Stuffed Peppers, and these Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers made with broccoli and cheese. But although they are scrumptious, many use rice as a filler and are therefore not fitting for a low carb diet.
So today we wanted to share a keto-friendly and gluten-free stuffed pepper recipe that is low in carbs AND packed with deliciousness. These Keto Taco Stuffed Peppers are meaty, cheesy, and bursting with fresh flavors! They are perfect to enjoy with your favorite southwestern-inspired side dishes, and are even great to prepare ahead as part of your weekly meal plan.
The Best Keto Stuffed Peppers
Mexican Stuffed Peppers taste just like a crunchy taco, but are super healthy and hearty. Your choice of colorful peppers are loaded with seasoned ground beef, veggies, and lots of cheese for bold, satisfying flavor in every bite. Each pepper is practically a meal in itself!
Start-to-finish keto stuffed bell peppers take less than an hour to prepare, and this recipe can easily be customized as you like. Make your taco stuffed peppers mild or spicy, and you can even swap the ground beef with turkey or pork for a leaner dish.
Plus, leftovers are just as yummy – so you’ll be able to enjoy all of this goodness for several days!
Ingredients You Need
To make our healthy(ish) Mexican stuffed peppers recipe you’ll need:
- Butter – unsalted
- Onion – chopped
- Ground beef – or ground turkey or pork
- Taco seasoning packet – I suggest finding a wholesome version with less fillers
- Rotel diced tomatoes and chilies – your choice of mild or hot
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend – or preferred shredded cheese that melts
- Large bell peppers – any color
And any taco toppings you like, such as sour cream, avocado, or salsa.
How to Make Keto-Friendly Taco Stuffed Peppers
I like to make a large batch of these peppers for an easy Sunday dinner, and enjoy leftovers as a quick and filling lunch to start the week.
Here’s how to make the best gluten-free Keto Taco Stuffed Peppers:
First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prep the bell peppers by cutting in half and removing the seeds. Then place each half cut side up on a rimmed baking sheet.
Set a large skillet over medium heat, and add the butter and onions. Sauté for just a few minutes to soften the onions before adding in the ground beef. Break the meat apart with a wooden spoon and cook until browned.
To the ground beef mix in the taco seasoning, Rotel, and 1 ¼ cups shredded cheese. Be sure to stir well to evenly combine.
Next, use a spoon to scoop the meat filling into the empty bell pepper halves.
Get the Complete (Printable) Keto Taco Stuffed Peppers Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Cover the dish tightly with foil, and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the peppers are soft. Remove the foil the last 5 minutes of baking, and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the tops.
When the Mexican stuffed peppers are done the cheese on top should be totally melted to ooey-gooey perfection. You can broil them for a minute or two if you like a bit of bubbly brown-ness to your cheese.
Suggestions for Serving Taco Stuffed Peppers
Serve the low carb stuffed peppers warm along with your favorite taco toppings like:
- Sour cream
- Pico de gallo
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Shredded lettuce.
These hearty Keto Stuffed Peppers can be enjoyed by themselves, or go great with nearly any side dish. Try them with Grilled Mexican Street Corn Salad, Frijoles de la Olla (Mexican Pinto Beans), or this Mexican Caprese Salad for a complete and healthy meal with lots of southwestern flavors!
How to Store Leftovers
Place cooled leftovers in a container with a lid and keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Enjoy the stuffed peppers cold, or reheated in a microwave or oven.
I do not recommend that you freeze, however, as the peppers tend to get a bit mushy after thawing.
Looking for More Delicious Keto Recipes?
- Sheet Pan Chicken Keto Nachos
- Keto Lasagna Roll-Ups (made with Zucchini)
- Instant Pot Keto Crustless Quiche
- Low Carb Tortillas Recipe (Keto Tortillas)
- Keto Chicken Lasagna Cups
Keto Taco Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 taco seasoning packet look for one without fillers
- 10 ounce Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend divided
- 2 extra-large bell peppers any color (or 3 large peppers)
- Optional Toppings: Pico de gallo cilantro, sour cream, lime wedges, shredded lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the bell peppers in half and remove the seeds. Place the pepper halves, cut side up, in a rimmed baking dish.
- Set a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and onions. Sauté for 2-3 minutes to soften. Then add in the ground beef. Break the meat apart with a wooden spoon and brown for 4-5 minutes.
- Mix in the taco seasoning, rotel, and 1 ¼ cups shredded cheese. Stir well. Scoop the meat filling into the empty bell pepper halves.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes, or until the peppers are soft. Remove the foil the last 5 minutes, and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the tops.
- Serve warm, as-is, or topped with sour cream, pico de gallo, cilantro, lime wedges, or shredded lettuce.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!