Warm Cheesy Broccoli Rice Stuffed Peppers are a fabulous vegetarian main dish or side dish!
We all have our favorite comfort foods.
The broccoli-cheese-rice combo always leaves me satisfied and cozy, like I’m wrapped in a big fuzzy blanket.
Although this beloved American dish is tantalizing, broccoli rice casserole is not normally the most healthy meal to serve your family, and is often overlooked.
Today I’m sharing my version of broccoli rice casserole. By reducing the fat and calories, then upping the veggie factor, I gave a healthy makeover to my comfort food of choice.
Talk about major wow factor.
These Cheesy Broccoli Rice Stuffed Peppers are loaded with fragrant creamy rice packed with broccoli florets and spice. Then baked to soften the peppers.
It’s important to add onions, garlic, smoked paprika, and a generous amount of Old El Paso Green Chiles to the rice to give the Cheesy Broccoli Rice Stuffed Peppers bold flavor and a smoky essence.
Wow factor indeed!
A small(er) portion of reduced fat cheese creates a silky luxurious texture in the rice.
Cheesy Broccoli Rice Stuffed Peppers are a vegetarian, and veggie-packed, side dish (or main dish) that are low on guilt and high on flavor!
The paprika and Old El Paso Green Chiles make all the difference.
Take Cheesy Broccoli Rice Stuffed Peppers to work as lunchbox leftovers. You can even bake them in the slow cooker if you so desire.
Next time you need a little comfort food, give Cheesy Broccoli Rice Stuffed Peppers a try.
They will not disappoint!
Love Stuffed Peppers? Try These As Well!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Old El Paso. All opinions are my own.
Cheesy Broccoli Rice Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers, any color
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cup long grain rice
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 2 -4.5 ounce cans Old El Paso Green Chiles, chopped (mild or hot)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 1/2 cups vey small broccoli florets
- 2 ounces low fat cream cheese
- 16 ounces shredded reduce fat cheddar, divided
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9 X 13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cut the bell peppers in half from top to bottom. Remove the seeds and lay them in the baking dish, cut side up.
- Place a medium stock pot over medium heat. Add the butter, onions and garlic. Sauté the onions for 2-3 minutes. Then stir in the rice, 3 cups broth, Old El Paso Green Chiles, salt, and smoked paprika. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Allow the rice to cook for 15-20 minutes covered, until steam holes are evident on the surface and the broth has absorbed.
- Stir the small broccoli florets, low fat cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar, and remaining 1/2 cup broth into the rice. Stir until the cream cheese melts into the mixture.
- Spoon the rice mixture into the bell peppers. Bake for 15 minutes. Then top the peppers with the remaining shredded cheddar and place back in the oven for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS: To make these is a slow cooker (instead of the oven) follow step 2 and 3 of the instructions above. Cut the bell peppers in half. Spoon the rice mixture into the peppers and place them down into the slow cooker crock. Cover and turn on low for 5-6 hours. Cover the peppers with the remaining cheese and cover again for 10 minutes.