Breakfast Tostadas (Tostados)
Why We Love This Breakfast Recipe
Want to get the day started right? We love a spicy robust Mexican breakfast like Huevos Rancheros to put some pep in our step. However, this quick and easy Breakfast Tostadas recipe can be made in a hurry and is super satisfying!
Top crunchy fried corn tortillas (store-bought and ready to go!) with hearty layers of refried beans, bold chorizo, and the fluffiest scrambled eggs. Then load on the extra goodies like fresh pico de gallo and salty crumbled cotija cheese. Hot, cold, crunchy, soft… Perfect!
Breakfast or brunch is ready in less than 30 minutes, and is great to serve buffet-style so everyone can add their favorite toppings. You can even prep most of the components in advance!
Ingredients You Need
- Tostada shells – crisp, flat, ready-to-use fried corn tostados
- Refried beans – your choice of refried pinto beans or black beans
- Eggs – to scramble, fried, or sunny side up
- Chorizo – ground spicy pork sausage
- Toppings – here we use pico de gallo, cotija cheese, and avocado… Keep reading for more tasty toppings ideas!
How to Make Breakfast Tostadas
First, warm the refried beans on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Set out a skillet over medium heat. Add the chorizo and break it apart with a wooden spoon as you brown it. Stir and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until fully cooked.
In a second skillet, cook the eggs to order, either sunny side up, fried, or scrambled. Make sure to salt and pepper the eggs.
Lay out eight tostado shells. Spread 1 to 2 ounces of warm refried beans over each tostada, followed by one cooked egg per tostada.
Get the Complete (Printable) Breakfast Tostados Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Sprinkle cooked chorizo over each one of the crispy tortillas.
Then spoon on pico de gallo, and add a bit of the crumbled cheese. Finish the breakfast tostadas with several dashes of hot sauce, if desired.
Best Tostados Toppings
In this recipe, we use cotija cheese, pico de gallo, avocado, and hot sauce. But of course, you can swap out and add any breakfast tostada toppings you like! Here are a few of our favorite ideas:
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican blend cheeses
- Cooked crumbled crispy bacon
- Breakfast sausage
- Fresh Guacamole
- Homemade Tomato Salsa or Tomatillo Salsa Verde
- Chopped fresh cilantro or green onions
- Sliced radishes
- Sliced raw jalapeños or Pickled Jalapeños
Enjoy these tostados with eggs for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or as a fun late-night snack!
Make it a complete meal and serve alongside a refreshing Grilled Fruit Salad with Creamy Lime Dressing, Blackberry Honeydew Salad, or Tropical Fruit Salad. Sweet Potato Hash and these Crispy Patatas Bravas (Mexican Potatoes) are also super delicious and hearty side dishes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Basically, yes. “Tostada shells” are corn tortillas that have been fried in oil until golden and crisp.
You can briefly heat the crisp tortilla, but this is not necessary. Similar to tortilla chips, they taste great at room temperature.
Yes, you can prep most of the ingredients in advance! Cook the chorizo and scrambled eggs a day or so in advance, then warm and assemble with other toppings when ready to eat.
Enjoy the fully assembled breakfast tostadas immediately after making them. But the individual components will keep well for up to 3 days in the fridge. Cool and store each ingredient in its own airtight container before refrigerating.
Looking for More Easy Breakfast Recipes? Be Sure to Also Try:
- Tex-Mex Breakfast Muffins
- Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- Best Avocado Toast with Egg
- Mexican Breakfast Salad
Breakfast Tostadas (Tostados)
- Warm the refried beans on the stove top or in the microwave.
- Set out a skillet over medium heat. Add the chorizo and break it apart with a wooden spoon as you brown it. Stir and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until fully cooked.
- In a second skillet, cook the eggs to order, either sunny side up, fried, or scrambled.
- To assemble: Lay out eight tostado shells. Spread 1 to 2 ounces of warm refried beans over each tostada, followed by one cooked egg per tostada. Sprinkle cooked chorizo over each tostada, then pico de gallo, and crumbled cheese. Add several dashes of hot sauce if desired and serve immediately.