Creamy cheesy hot onion dip with crispy french fried onion piled on top! This retro cocktail party snack is making a stylishly enticing comeback.
The holiday season means, Thanksgiving dinners, office parties, cocktail parties, tree-trimming parties, dirty santa parties, family gatherings, New Year soirees, and everything in between.
Are you ready?
It’s a good idea to have a few sure-thing party dishes in your bag of tricks this year.
When I’m hosting a gathering, I plan to serve a minimum of three appetizers, to make sure there is something for everyone. This generally consists of something hot, something cold, something healthy, something meaty, and something cheesy… with at least 2 of these having more than one qualifying attribute.
Today I’m serving up something hot and cheesy, a spin on the old classic hot onion dip.
This is one of my favorite retro dishes, hot gooey onion dip with just hint of spice. Then topped with crispy decedent french fried onions, so when you dip your chip into it, you get hot oozy cheese and a little extra crunch to boot!
I think my grandmother used to make this onion dip… I think your grandmother used to make this onion dip. But the french fried onions are my spin on the classic and make it so hard to resist.
Pretty sweet, right?
Hot Onion Dip with French Fried Onions
Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:25 minutes
- 24 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 large onion, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 small onion, quartered and sliced thin (3/4 cup)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Gold Medal Flour
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups veggie oil for frying
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Mix all the ingredients for the onion dip in a large bowl. Then scoop into a round baking dish and smooth the dip evenly in the dish. Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a large sauce pot, to 375 degrees F. Slice the onions into thin strips and place in the buttermilk to soak. In a shallow dish, mix the flour, salt and pepper. Once the oil is hot, drain the onions and toss in the flour mixture to coat. Shake of the excess four and carefully dunk all the onions into the hot oil.
- Fry the onions for 1-2 minutes, until golden brown, Then scoop out with a skimmer and place them on a paper-towel lined plate. Sprinkle with additional salt.
- Remove the hot onion dip from the oven and sprinkle the french fried onions over the top. Place bake in the oven for 5 more minutes until bubbly and cooked through. Serve warm with veggies, chips, pita chips, crackers, or bread.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!