Baked Lemon Pepper Wings Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Ultra Crispy Baked Lemon Pepper Wings Recipe! Our easy Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings are low carb and so delicious! They are the perfect party snack!
Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
Whether you are planning a party, or just planning to cut your carbs this season, I’ve got an amazing recipe for you today!
When I’m making wings for a casual party (or family movie night) I like to have at least one variety of saucy hot wings, and another flavor that is mild and zesty, usually made with a dry rub. That way, there is a contrast in taste and overall texture.
These Lemon Pepper Wings are a huge hit with my family. They are dry and crispy on the outside, perfectly juicy on the inside, and packed with zingy lemon pepper flavor!
Yet best of all, if you are trying to stick to a low carb diet, you can still enjoy these baked wings. They are extra crispy, even without breading!
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
So how do you make chicken wings ultra-crispy, without frying them?
A couple of years ago I learned a trick for crispy baked wings that makes the skin taste and feel like fried chicken wings…
How To Bake Crispy Chicken Wings In The Oven
In order to bake perfectly crispy wings, you have to do two things.
- Dry the chicken wings thoroughly.
- Coat the skin with baking powder.
I use paper towels to squeeze each and every little wing, so the skin is very dry. If the skin is extra dry, there is less moisture that needs to be pulled out in the oven.
As for the baking powder (not baking soda)… It sucks out the remaining moisture and changes the ph balance of the chicken skin so it is able to crisp up in the oven.
Crispy Baked Wings in the Oven
Does this crispifying method work on all types of poultry skin?
Why, yes it does!
Therefore, now that you know the secret, you can make super crispy buffalo wings, drumsticks, whole bone-in chicken breasts, and even huge crispy turkey legs!
Just remember, the dryer the skin is, the better. So if you are baking larger pieces of poultry that have a lot of moisture, letting them air-dry in the fridge overnight is a good idea.
Baked Lemon Pepper Wings Ingredients
- Trimmed Chicken Wings – These are often sold in packages called “party wings.” Try to make sure you have at least 24 wings.
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning – A common American seasoning blend containing dehydrated lemon zest, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and sometimes onion powder.
- Olive Oil – Really, you can use any oil that is good for high heat cooking, and even ghee if you like!
- Baking Powder – Look for aluminum-free baking powder.
How To Make Baked Lemon Pepper Wings
- Dry. Dry the wings thoroughly with paper towels. If you have time to do this in advance the wings will be even crispier!
- Coat. Toss the wings in lemon pepper seasoning, oil, and baking powder. Make sure they are well covered.
- Bake. Bake the wings, flipping them once, so they are crispy on all sides.
Get The Full (Printable) Baked Lemon Pepper Wings Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Lemon Pepper Wings Gluten-Free?
Yes! As long as the lemon pepper seasoning and baking powder you buy are gluten-free, the recipe is as well. Most are, but just check the label to be sure.
Are these wings good for meal prepping?
Yes. I think these wings taste best straight out of the oven. However, they do make pretty darn good leftovers.
How long do these baked wings last in the fridge?
Place them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to a week.
What dip tastes good with lemon pepper?
The usuals are always good choices… Ranch dressing and blue cheese dressing. However, you can mix things up with creamy poppy seed dressing, easy remoulade, or homemade tzatziki sauce.
Why is it super smoky in the oven?
When you are extracting moisture from poultry skin in the oven, it will definitely create some steam. Also as the skins sizzle and pop, there will be some smoke as well. I don’t have issues with it working its way out of the oven. However, if you do, maybe try turning on your stovetop vent.
More Amazing Chicken Wings Recipes
- Habanero Peach Grilled Chicken Wings Recipe
- Chili Lime Baked Wings Recipe
- Spicy Mustard Maple Chicken Wings Recipe
- Sweet and Spicy Drumsticks Recipe
Other Healthy Party Snacks You Will Love!
- Baked Kale Chips Recipe
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
- Thai Baked Turkey Meatballs Recipe
- Baked Sweet Potato Hash Browns Recipe
- Grilled Artichokes with Miso Butter Recipe
- 3-Ingredient Mini Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- Low Carb Burger Bites Recipe
- Shrimp Cocktail Wonton Cups Recipe
- See all our naughty and nice appetizers!
Baked Lemon Pepper Wings Recipe
- 2.5-3 pounds trimmed chicken wings (often called party wings)
- 1/4 cup lemon-pepper seasoning
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum-free)
- nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Set a baking rack on a large rimmed baking sheet. Spray the rack with nonstick cooking spray.
- Use paper towels to thoroughly squeeze and dry every single wing. The drier the wings are, the crispier they will get.
- In a large bowl, mix the lemon pepper, olive oil, and baking powder. Add the wings to the bowl and toss to coat. Use your hands to make sure the wings are fully covered on all sides.
- Lay the wings on the baking rack, making sure they do not touch. Bake for 30 minutes. Then use tongs to flip the wings. Bake another 15-20 until very brown and crispy.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
What changes would you make to cook them on the BBQ?
If making these on the grill I would preheat to medium-high heat, then grill for 15-20 per side (30-40 total) depending on how crispy you want them.
First the positive: Recipe is super easy. Chicken comes out crispy and delicious. Flavors are good. Would’ve given it 5 stars, but holy smoke, batman! As another reviewer said, this recipe smokes up your house like crazy.
I have drumsticks in the freezer so I’m going to try this recipe for them. I’m also going to try half in the oven and the other half in the air fryer.
I’ll see how they work out
thank you, much better from scratch, or even warmed over in one of those grocery deli sections, much appreciated!
Your smoke detector might go off, but it’s totally worth it for these flavorful wings. These turned out way better than those from the wing shop. They are a favorite around here.
Hands down the best lemon pepper wings, ever!
A fantastic recipe! Loved it and super easy to make! Thank you for this!
The lemon pepper wings were excellent. Loved them. Followed the exact recipe. The problem I had was a lot of smoke plus the inside of my oven was full of grease droplets. I am trying to think it through to avoid this problem. I’m thinking maybe I should remove the skin and also use grape seed oil instead of the extra virgin olive oil. I am new to your cite. What do you think?
Yes, when you are extracting moisture from poultry skin in the oven, it will definitely create some steam. Also as the skins sizzle and pop, there will be some smoke as well. I don’t have issues with it working its way out of the oven. However, if you do, maybe try turning on your stovetop vent.
These were Great…Funny thing though….I didn’t think their was enough Seasonings, so I doubled Recipe and put as much on as I could ( Big Mistake), I end up needing a Roll of Paper Towels,,Heat gets to me easy,,the ones that did not have a lot of Seasonings were Great…Good Recipe,,,Will make again but lighter on the Seasonings…thxs again..bk.
Love the recipe, does anyone have any secrets on how to easily clean the wire rack they’re cooked on?
I usually soak the rack in hot soapy water for 30+ minutes, then scrub it off with a sponge. Sometimes after soaking, the debris just rinses off with water! :)
Love them ! They turned great . Nice and crispy.
The two best ingredients together are lemon and pepper! We LOVED the flavor of these wings!
Everyone loved it!! Can’t wait to make it again! Such a delicious meal for weeknights!
These are so tasty and easy to make! Great appetizer!
Lemon Pepper wings are my most favorite flavor! These are a go to!
I make wings at least once a week for my family and these are always a hit! LOVE them!
these sound delicious! thanks for sharing!