Lemon Pepper Wings
Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
Whether you are planning a party, or just planning to cut your carbs this season, I’ve got an amazing recipe for you today!
When I’m making wings for a casual party (or family movie night) I like to have at least one variety of saucy hot wings, and another flavor that is mild and zesty, usually made with a dry rub. That way, there is a contrast in taste and overall texture.
These Lemon Pepper Wings are a huge hit with my family. They are dry and crispy on the outside, perfectly juicy on the inside, and packed with zingy lemon pepper flavor!
Yet best of all, if you are trying to stick to a low carb diet, you can enjoy these baked wings. They are extra crispy, even without breading!
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
So how do you make chicken wings ultra-crispy, without frying them?
A couple of years ago I learned a trick for crispy baked wings that makes the skin taste and feel like fried chicken wings…
How to Bake Crispy Chicken Wings in the Oven
In order to bake perfectly crispy wings, you have to do two things.
- Dry the chicken wings thoroughly.
- Coat the skin with baking powder.
I use paper towels to squeeze each and every little wing, so the skin is very dry. If the skin is extra dry, there is less moisture to pull out in the oven.
As for the baking powder (not baking soda)… It sucks out the remaining moisture and changes the ph balance of the chicken skin so it is able to crisp up in the oven.
Crispy Baked Wings in the Oven
Does this crispifying method work on all types of poultry skin?
Why, yes it does!
Therefore, now that you know the secret, you can make super crispy buffalo wings, drumsticks, whole bone-in chicken breasts, and even huge crispy turkey legs!
Just remember, the dryer the skin is, the better. So if you are baking larger pieces of poultry that have a lot of moisture, letting them air-dry in the fridge overnight is a good idea.
Baked Lemon Pepper Wings Ingredients
- Trimmed Chicken Wings – These are often sold in packages called “party wings.” Try to make sure you have at least 24 wings.
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning – A common American seasoning blend containing dehydrated lemon zest, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and sometimes onion powder.
- Olive Oil – Really, you can use any oil that is good for high heat cooking, and even ghee if you like!
- Baking Powder – Look for aluminum-free baking powder.
How To Make Baked Lemon Pepper Wings
- Dry. Dry the wings thoroughly with paper towels. If you have time to do this in advance the wings will be even crispier!
- Coat. Toss the wings in lemon pepper seasoning, oil, and baking powder. Make sure they are well covered.
- Bake. Bake the wings, flipping them once, so they are crispy on all sides.
Get The Full (Printable) Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings Recipe & VIDEO Below
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings FAQ
Are Lemon Pepper Wings Gluten-Free?
Yes! As long as the lemon pepper seasoning and baking powder you buy are gluten-free, the recipe is as well. Most are, but just check the label to be sure.
Are Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings Good For Meal Prep?
Yes. I think these wings taste best straight out of the oven. However, they do make pretty darn good leftovers.
How Long Do Baked Wings Last in The Fridge?
Place them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to a week.
What Dip Tastes Good With Lemon Pepper Wings?
More Amazing Chicken Wings Recipes
- Habanero Peach Grilled Chicken Wings
- Chili Lime Baked Wings
- Spicy Mustard Maple Chicken Wings
- Sweet and Spicy Drumsticks
Other Healthy Party Snacks You Will Love
- Baked Kale Chips
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
- Thai Baked Turkey Meatballs
- Baked Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- Grilled Artichokes with Miso Butter
- 3-Ingredient Mini Stuffed Peppers
- Low Carb Burger Bites
- Shrimp Cocktail Wonton Cups
- See all our naughty and nice appetizers!
Lemon Pepper Wings Recipe (VIDEO)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Set a baking rack on a large rimmed baking sheet. Spray the rack with nonstick cooking spray.
- Use paper towels to thoroughly squeeze and dry every single wing. The drier the wings are, the crispier they will get.
- In a large bowl, mix the lemon pepper, olive oil, and baking powder. Add the wings to the bowl and toss to coat. Use your hands to make sure the wings are fully covered on all sides.
- Lay the wings on the baking rack, making sure they do not touch. Bake for 30 minutes. Then use tongs to flip the wings. Bake another 15-20 until very brown and crispy.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!